Can overplaying a CD wear out the sound quality?

Hello there, maybe this is a stupid question, but I wanted to know, if you overplay a CD, will the sound quality be affected? Here’s what my CD sounds like: On the first track of the disc the sound on the left speaker sounds a little muffled, like the treble has been decreased. But the sound on the right speaker sounds just fine. All the other tracks on the CD sound perfect on both the speakers, so I know my stereo is not the problem (all the other discs I play sound fine). I bought this CD used. If the previous owner of the CD overplayed the first track on the CD, could they have affected the sound quality that way? Would it make sense that only one speaker of sound is affected? Sorry if this seems stupid. Thanks!

Not likely…Have you tried playing it on another system? If not, then find another system and compare them…I’m pretty sure that you’ll find them identical.

In my opinion no.

The disc contain the same digital information and can’t be changed. What can happen is that disc become dirty or scratched, and then more difficult to read, but this don’t modify in any way digital informations on the disc.

No, not at all!

I suggest making a new copy of the disc, or buying a new copy if that doesn’t work. :iagree:

Is this a genuine pressed commercial CD? Some copies passed off as genuine used original CDs could be badly recorded with a poor stereo balance.

This happened to me once. I bought a used cd from a used cd store that i thought was an import because i had never seen this record on cd. Turns out whoever sold the cd had created a cover and burned the tracks from an album because of the pops and clicks i heard while listening to the cd. I hadn’t bothered to look at the bottom and notice the cd dye was a dark purple as opposed to silver like a real cd. The surprising thing was that the record store didn’t catch it either.

How can you tell if your CD is genuinely pressed and not some cleverly disguised burned CD that looks real (with a label that looks like the original)?

If you re-read sikoone’s post just above, you’ll see that the colour of the playing surface may be something other than silver.

Otherwise, you could use CD-DVD Speed to see whether there’s a specific media ID (MID) associated with your disc.