Can Overburn 4600MB :-((((

A registry hack is needed to burn 4600mb or more.

I got this from DrageMaster:

Here’s the settings for 4650 MB.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\General]
“EnableDVDOverSize”=dword:00000001
“MaxDVDOverSizeBlocks”=dword:00245400

be carefull with the registry.
If you don’t want to mess with the registry. Make an image with image recorder and burn with imgburn.

Tks adict2jane :bow: :bow:

Soon i got some time i will do it…

For now, i did burn another image of 4492MB :stuck_out_tongue:

I think was Zevia who burned 4530… :bigsmile:

Tks you all cdfreaks.

Beam me up Scott!

Mordorr

Yeah too bad Nero Burning ROM doesn’t support overburning on BenQ drives, although Nero CD-DVD Speed and ImgBurn do.

What are you overburning, Mordorr? Data? If you want you can make an ISO/NRG image and burn it with ImgBurn or CDSpeed on your BenQ. The registry edit will work fine with your Plextor though.

Actually I think 4600 MB is possible in Nero without using the registry hack, but you need the hack for overburns exceeding 4600 MB.

I have successfully overburned 4600 MB with Verbatim 16x DVD+R (MCC 004) media, and I have successfully overburned 4607 MB with Plextor 16x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T03) media.

I have also had failures at overburning 4650 MB and 4630 MB on the Plextor 16x TY media. So I suggest you don’t expect much above 4600 MB and only with excellent media, and it’s probably not a good idea to try this at 16x burning speed.

Hi Zevia
Hi DrageMester

This subjet has already been discussed, but… :disagree: :iagree: :bigsmile:

I was trying to burn a DVD Movie, with DVDsrink, with 4600MB.

Nero refuses to burn it, so i change the final size to 4590MB, and did burn it with Nero.
This times works, even with some spikes of PIF at the end… :o

My experience is that Sony D11 is a litle better, to make overburn, even the media is not so good as MCC004…

Thank you all for the suport!! :clap: :clap: :bow: :flower:

Mordorr

P.S.-OFFTOPIC - Next week i will burn, for the first time, TY ( Plextor 16X +R ) :iagree: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe your image was just a little bit over the 4600 MB limit?

Your scan shows a disc that by any reasonable standard must be declared as a coaster! Not only are there PIF errors in excess of 150 (per 8 ECC) but there are also 172 Parity Outer Failures (POF). POFs are really really bad, because those failures can’t be corrected, and the only chance the drive has to read those sectors is to try and read them again and again and again…

I suggest you inspect that disc for signs of physical damage near the outer edge, and if you can’t find any, then I definitely think you should try some other media for your overburns!

DrageMester wrote:

Maybe your image was just a little bit over the 4600 MB limit?

Agree :wink:

At this moment, im trying another media… :slight_smile:

TKS.

Mordorr

Mordorr, if you use DVDShrink save it as ISO image. Instead of “Burn with Nero”, in the dropdown “Select backup target:” choose ISO Image File. You can set size to 4600MB in Preferences. Then later burn the ISO Image with ImgBurn. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Ah…Zevia, too late…

I didn`t see your last post… :sad:

I did repeat the same method, but did change the media, to a CMC MAG E01, from Verbatim…

Im doing the Scan, i will post it here than…

Humm, can i save as ISO on Srink? Must check that… :iagree: :wink:

TKS,

Mordorr

Well here it is the result… :flower:

Verbatim +R8X Pearl White, seems to be better them Verbatim 16X +R…or just “bad lucky” :wink:

TKS all!

Mordorr

P.S. - I have already install Imgburner :stuck_out_tongue:

That is excellent but why in the world you want to shrink at an overburned size? the gain of 100 MB represents only 2.5% from the total disc capacity so a movie compressed just a little bit more will have practically the same quality as the oversized one… this seems illogical for me. For data I could understand you can use those last megs but for a film you compressed no,

Why not use the capacity when it is there. Even if the difference is only that small. :cool:

Yep.

I`m a perfeccionist on my [U]Movies[/U] burns. More 2/3% on quality, are welcomed.

I buy a Plextor, for some reason, so i not use all it functions? :flower:

Mordorr

Be careful on your overburns in excess of 4600 MB. I’ve found YUDEN002 DVD+R media the best for such overburns. They manage around 4635 MB with excellent scans all the way out past 4600 MB. Very few media burn in excess of 4635 MB and of those that do, it’s a crap shoot. I’ve had some cheap TEON DVD+R burn 4680 - 4690 MB but wouldn’t trust them for archival storage.

Totally agree on using the 716A for all its advantage in taking advantage of the 4 - 5% in overburn capacity. Often a birtate increase of this amount results in a noticable quality increase in a DVD Shrinked Movie.

Please share any other overburning stories for those of us who risk the “consequences” of pushing our drives & media to their full capacities.

I found that 4580 MB is safe for RicohJPN R02 8x DVD +R.

Hi,

how can I set the limit even higher than 4650 MB via the registry?
I would like to set 4700MB, even if the size does not fit on my media.

BTW, up to now I got 4600 MB on every tested media (even on cheap ones).

Regards,
Frittenbude

I can’t even get 4630 MB on Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R media, so I think you’re a bit optimistic in thinking that you might get over 4650 MB in general. But that’s your choice.

You will need to change the following value in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\General\MaxDVDOverSizeBlocks = 0x24B800 (hexadecimal)

The value is calculated as follows:
4700 (MB) * 512 (sectors/MB) = 2406400 (decimal) = 24B800 (hex)

You also need to have the following registry value set in order to enable DVD overburning in the first place:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\General\EnableDVDOverSize = 1

Hi,

I want to find out the limit of some discs.
After testing two discs I can say that a MCC 8x and a TY 8x can not take 4661 MB.

I don’t know exactly where the limit was, because I tried to burn 4661 MB. But the MCC could take a little bit more I think. For both media the cache was nearly empty.

My last try will be a Mitsubishi 16x DVD+R.

EDIT:
The last burn also stopped at nearly the same point.
Maybe my drive can not go higher!?

Regards,
Frittenbude

[B]adict2jane[/B] said:

A registry hack is needed to burn 4600mb or more.

I got this from DrageMaster:

Here’s the settings for 4650 MB.

"MaxDVDOverSizeBlocks"=dword:00245400

be carefull with the registry.
If you don’t want to mess with the registry. Make an image with image recorder and burn with imgburn.

Well i have Nero 6.0.6.1.8.

“EnableDVDOverSize”=dword:00000001 dont now what to change :rolleyes: :doh:

“MaxDVDOverSizeBlocks”=dword:00245400 the number i saw is, if im not wrong, 244400, do i change it??

Can someone be more, explicit, please on this mod?

I can change Nero, to show the real speed, of the record, but this tweak… :confused:

Mordorr

Mordorr, are you sure you have permission from Sauron to ask for this information? :wink:

Copy the five lines between BEGIN and END below, open Notepad and paste the text, then save it to a file named 4650MB_overburn.reg (or another file with the .reg extension). Then open the file from explorer, and it will automatically be added to the registry (unless you have changed the file association for .reg files).

— BEGIN —

"MaxDVDOverSizeBlocks"=dword:00245400
— END —

You can also download the Zip file attached below, extract the 4650MB_overburn.reg file, and then run it.