I have recently purchased three units of this DVD writer.
Two of them are working normally with same hardware while the third one can not read DVDs at all.
My Cofiguration is
Windows XP Profressional (32-bit), SP3 (Slipstreamed)
Here are the symptom I have seen.
1. The faulty drive can CDROM but can not read DVDROM. I have tried reading film DVDs, Linux bootable DVDs and DVD that came with Intel mother board. In all cases the DVD LED just blinks and DVD drives occasionally chrurns in between and this goes on and on.
2. The faulty drive can boot off a CDROM but it can not boot of a bootable DVD. I have tried various bootable DVDs which work with other two good DVD drive of same make. While booting with known good DVD, it shows "Media Error"
3. The faulty DVD drive shows in XP under the heading "DVD-RAM drive" while the other two good drives show under "Removal Storage".
I have tried following troubleshooting steps
1. Tried booting a Linux bootable DVD. It showed "Boot Failure". When I tried Ubuntu Live CDROM, it booted fine.
2. I have tried different SATA cables. THis did not help.
3. I have tried connecting the DVD Sata cable different ports on motherboard. THis did not help at all.
4. As I said I have two other drives of same model. They work in same hardware without any issues.
5. I have tried uninstalling and letting xp reinstall the drivers. No luck here either.
1. Is it firmware issue ?
2. If it is a firmware issue will flashing to latest firmware will help ?
3. If it is not a firmware issue, is it a hardware issue ? If yes what options I have ?