I'd like to have been able to fix the problem without buying a new BenQ, but I didn't. It was NOT installtion (DMA, cable, etc.- read the link in my original post that shows great 16X burns on OTHER media). That doesn't mean I couldn't have, but I was running out of time to be able to return the 2 spindles of TYG02 that I bought. So, I needed a QUICK solution to figure out, by last Saturday, if the media was bad and it was going back, or the drive was bad and it was going back. But, with NINETEEN minutes burns on TYG02, SOMETHING was going back!
Well, the media was NOT bad. I burned over 5 discs from 2 spindles (tried in the middle, on top, etc.) The burner I had took NINETEEN minutes to burn TYG02 at less than 3X for ONLY TYG02!!!!
Now, this detail is important:
When I got my first drive, the FIRST thing I did was flash it to the latest and greatest B7S9 with the .exe that was linked to in this forum. It went without a hitch. When I started having trouble, I flashed back to B7P9 with .exe without a hitch, but it did NOT fix the 19 minute TYG02 problem- So, yes, I did try different firmwares.
On my second drive, the FIRST thing I did was TEST it! And it burnt TYG02 much, much better, like it should (6:35 ast 12X, see attachment). Then I went to flash to B7P9 with the .exe but IT WOULD NOT FLASH! I think because it was OEM or something (I/O Magic with G7C9 originally reported as ATAPI___DVD_DD_2X16X4X16_G7C9). But, the important message here is why did the first one flash directly (to B7S9) with the .exe, but the second one would not (to B7P9)? There MUST be a difference in these drives unless an OEM drive is supposed to flash directly to B7S9 with .exe, but NOT B7P9. Any hoo, I used the .CVT method to flash the second drive to B7P9.
I think my first BenQ has a bad flash somehow. Even though I used the BenQ "supplied" .exe and I even re-flashed from B7S9 to B7P9, I still think there was something "funny" in the firmware. The last hint I'll share with my drive differences was that the original BenQ always reported itself as a "CD" drive in windows, while the second BenQ now reports itself as a "DVD" drive. I always though that it was odd that the DVD drive would show as "CD", but I thought 'that just must be how it works'...now that I've got a second BenQ and it reports itself as a DVD, I suspect the first's firmware even more.
In retrospect, if I knew then what I knew now AND I had more time to experiment with the first drive, I probably should have tried to use .CVT to reflash the original drive to see if that would fix it.
I hope my (unfortunate) experiences help others!