Can I use my PC as a PVR for DirectTV?

WAIT! I am a paying Direct TV customer…What I would like to know is can I turn my home pc into a PVR, HD PVR? I do not want to steal anything, rather just have more freedom with my paid services. If so, could I get some suggestions?

Split to new thread. Please don’t hijack others.

I’m sorry…However, it makes no sense whatsoever for me to waste bandwidth starting a new thread for the same exact question? Hijacking a thread is much much different.

‘Bandwidth’ doesn’t come into it, but if you think so: why use more of it by arguing?

If your Direct TV service is copy protected and you have a receiver that decodes to the TV: is there an output on the back of the box which you can use?

If you’re solely talking about HD, then I can transfer this to the High Definition forum…

Arguing? LOL!

[QUOTE=Viracocha711;2028534]Arguing? LOL![/QUOTE]

Calm down.
If you had asked DirectTV you would know the answer to your Q: No.

[quote=chef;2028544]Calm down.
If you had asked DirectTV you would know the answer to your Q: No.[/quote]
Calm down? Direct TV will ask you to buy their DVR…I already own one and I do not like it. Therefore I asking if anyone knew about using a HomePC as a PVR…Video capture card? The guys on the other thread were talking about this EXACT TOPIC.

Probably not the same, because the other query doesn’t mention copy-protected signals whereas your enquiry obviously does involve this.

I’ll repeat the question above: does your DVR box have an output from the back that you can record from?

BTW we do not mind extra threads on the same or similar topics. Sooner or later the interests of people in combined threads will diverge, so better to keep separate soon as possible. That way everyone gets the answer they want.

The point is, you can only capture the output signal if there is one and it is unencrypted.
this involves a cpature card in your computer running and the data/stream converted several times, including quality degradiation, of course.

I think I saw some threads regarding this issue in the videohelp.com forum. Check it out. :wink:

Thanks guys.

sorry to but in
what is actually involved is a capture card9 to capture the sig comming from the box)
a way to control the box(usb-uirt or somthing simular) and hopefully a good(reasonable video card) , to out put a good siginal to your tv. how high end is your tv?? high def ? anagolg?? sorry i cant spell yet ,just woke up!! I belong to snapstream and have a input card that has a dongle that controls the box(comcast). so I’m all good here. no high def yet. but it all works, so yes its possible!!
just rember lots of hdd!!!:iagree:
ps if your truely interested visit the home run forum(never looked at it) also snapstream offer some nice bundles(hardware & software) to make what your after. not trying to be a salesman or anything but telling you to look around & read alot! join forums & as questions like you did here. best of luck to ya!!!

To use descramble Satellite signals absolutely not!

However if your just trying to put some programs on your PC then why not get a DVD recorder and record the programs you want on DVD and then copy to your harddrive in your computer to make more space or more room on your PVR. If that is what your trying to achieve then why not clarify exactly what you’re trying to do.

If you really don’t like their PVR then why not get a regular satellite receiver and get a DVD recorder. Some of them actually come with hard drives built right in. Then copy what you want to your P.C.

If your trying to find a way to bypass using a satellite receiver from your satellite provider and not have to pay for services then NOBODY AND I MEAN NOBODY in their right mind here will help you achieve this objective.

I hope that is clear as MUD to you.

yes,install the happauge wintv hvr-1600ntsc/atsc combo,after this you can also hook up fmradio.but you will need to install windows media center.this is what I have in my media center pc.I also am a direct tv customer,and I have recorded alot os movies and show,I just can’t figure out how to burn them onto a dvd yet.

[QUOTE=eakeniij;2034868]yes,install the happauge wintv hvr-1600ntsc/atsc combo,after this you can also hook up fmradio.but you will need to install windows media center.this is what I have in my media center pc.I also am a direct tv customer,and I have recorded alot os movies and show,I just can’t figure out how to burn them onto a dvd yet.[/QUOTE]

I dont know the DirectV rules and laws, but AFAIK their customers are not allowed to “duplicate” anything recorded onto other media etc.
I don’t know if that is true…