Can I use my another windows vista CD from laptop A to install in laptop B?

I have two laptops from Dell one the OS is windows vista Basic and another is windows vista home premium. The one with the vista basic have its windows corrupted. The problem is I lost the installation CDs, Can I ask whether can i use the CD of windows home premium to install in my corrupted laptop? THANKS ALOT

One License per disk… One computer per disk…
Contact Dell and have them replace the missing disks…

I think with Vista it’s just a matter of putting in the correct Product key .
So my opinion is as long as you use the correct Product key for the Vista Basic it should work.
It may require a call to Microsoft to reactivate but it is a toll frre number & it will come up if it is required.
If my understanding of Vista is correct all 4 versions are already on your OS you just have to pay for the upgrade & you get a new Product key to activate that version.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=tlgoh1;2477906]I have two laptops from Dell one the OS is windows vista Basic and another is windows vista home premium. The one with the vista basic have its windows corrupted. The problem is I lost the installation CDs, Can I ask whether can i use the CD of windows home premium to install in my corrupted laptop?[/QUOTE]I guess, not.
With a normal (retail or system builder) Vista install disc, you could do that since the features (Premium, Basic, Ultimate) are determined by the product key during installation. The Dell OEM disc might install Home Premium without asking. If you can enter your home basic key after installation, then all is okay.

Apart from ordering a new set of discs from Dell, you may have a look into your manual if there is a recovery partition which will restore the factory preinstallation.

Michael

@pipemanid: Most laptops and brand name computers come without any Windows install disc, so the one disc - one license claim is IMHO not justified.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2477916]@pipemanid: Most laptops and brand name computers come without any Windows install disc, so the one disc - one license claim is IMHO not justified.[/QUOTE]

Good point, but the OP specifically said they lost the original installation disks…
In addition, my interpretation is that they wished to use one installation disk for 2 separate computers, which is not allowed unless they somehow have the original key…

If there is a Recovery partition you may be able to make a setting in your BIOS so it will be an option at boot.I have deleted the one that came on my computer but I think either F2 or F 10 was the option button to access the recovery partition on my computer.
mciahel is correct most computers now come with no Windows discs.
@pipemanid ,I don’t have a laptop but on my desktop there is a key sticker on the case.

F11 for some HP , E machines for Recovery

You might want to give this article a read :http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/recover.htm
These are the ptedit.exe fro the article:
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/ptedit.zip
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/PTEDIT32.zip
This is a useful tool to show if you have a hidden partition in a working Windows too.

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2477920]Good point, but the OP specifically said they lost the original installation disks…
In addition, my interpretation is that they wished to use one installation disk for 2 separate computers, which is not allowed unless they somehow have the original key…[/QUOTE]No problem with Dell laptops. The key is on a sticker located on the bottom of the unit. :wink:

[QUOTE=bean55;2477922]F11 for some HP , E machines for Recovery[/QUOTE]From the manual of my Dell Vostro 1500:

[ol]
[li]Press F8 key several times to show the “Advanced Start Options” screen of Vista.
[/li][li]Select “Repair Options”
[/li][li]Select keyboard layout
[/li][li]Log in as user “Administrator” (no password normally)
[/li][li]Klick “Dell Factory Image Restore”
[/li][/ol]The procedure should be similar for many Dell laptops, but reading the manual before is highly recommended. :smiley:

Michael