Can I use an SD memory card like a thumb drive?

vbimport

Well, there you have it; I can’t add much more to the question than to blush & apologize for my silliness. The bottom line (isn’t it always?) is that I would rather buy additional memory cards that can be used in my cameras, GPS, little Nokia 'Net toy, et cetera, and then, if I need to save or transfer files as I would on a Flash Drive, can I use a memory card in a reader instead of a thumb drive?

Thanks in advance for not making fun of me.
Donna
cold in NY

Yes you can. You will need a card reader if the pc doesn’t already have one. I have a 4 GB one in my camera and it doesn’t seem to mind my adding a directory or two to it. I recently got a couple of Micro SD cards, a SD adapter to use them in the camera and this cute little reader.

From my experience, you should have no problem doing this as long as you don’t use it in something that requires a sustained write speed (e.g. camcorder.)

I do this with one of my 8GB SDHC cards. I’ve hacked my GPS a while back such that I can get into its Windows CE OS and store all sorts of stuff on the card, including WinCE applications, documents, etc. while travelling about. As I use the card in the GPS, it also means I don’t easily forget it like I often would with a pen drive.

The following gives an idea of how much I’ve on my SD card: :slight_smile:

Despite all the files and folders, this card also works fine in both my digital cameras, which I’ve used on a few occasions when I forgot to put the main SD card back in my camera or when I ran out of space.

The only thing to be aware of is that flash cards tend to suffer from write “stuttering” when they contain a lot of files that are regularly added and deleted, which is where the write process intermittently pauses when writing. Generally this doesn’t cause a problem if using the card for reading (e.g. MP3 playback) or taking photos, however, it does cause problems if you try using it to take video clips with, where the camera or camcorder requres a sustained write speed. For example, if I try using this above card to take a video clip, my camera stops after a few seconds with an error saying that the card cannot keep up with the recording.

The best thing to do is give it a try. :smiley:

If you have a camcorder or use your camera to take video clips, just be sure to keep a dedicated card for that.

Merci, mes amis!

Donna
who will give it a try

If you have a need for speed…such as recording video, then the higher speed SD cards may be worthwhile.
Most SD cards have a small number on the front, a 2 or 4 or 6. The higher the number, the higher the speed.

[QUOTE=Seán;2487323]From my experience, you should have no problem doing this as long as you don’t use it in something that requires a sustained write speed (e.g. camcorder.)

The only thing to be aware of is that flash cards tend to suffer from write “stuttering” when they contain a lot of files that are regularly added and deleted, which is where the write process intermittently pauses when writing. Generally this doesn’t cause a problem if using the card for reading (e.g. MP3 playback) or taking photos, however, it does cause problems if you try using it to take video clips with, where the camera or camcorder requres a sustained write speed. For example, if I try using this above card to take a video clip, my camera stops after a few seconds with an error saying that the card cannot keep up with the recording.

The best thing to do is give it a try. :smiley:

If you have a camcorder or use your camera to take video clips, just be sure to keep a dedicated card for that.[/QUOTE]
Couldn’t you run DeFrag on it to clear that up?

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2488103]Couldn’t you run DeFrag on it to clear that up?[/QUOTE]

I believe defragging a card…maybe all SSDs, can damage them…at least shorten their lives.

I believe defragging a card…maybe all SSDs, can damage them…at least shorten their lives.

True enough, by a couple write cycles, but aren’t they rated for hundreds of thousands (or more)?

Defragging flash-based memory is pointless and only serves to waste time and write-cycles.

I suspect defregging doesn´t change the data transfer speeds anyway

My question was if defrag would correct the problem highlighted in my post #6 ^^^^^…

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2488127]My question was if defrag would correct the problem highlighted in my post #6 ^^^^^…[/QUOTE] I don’t see how, since “defragging” a flash drive cannot actually make files contiguous in the real address space on the flash drive (only in the virtual address space presented to the computer).

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2488117]Defragging flash-based memory is pointless and only serves to waste time and write-cycles.[/QUOTE]It’s kind of like how many licks to the chocolaty center of a Tootsie Roll Pop :wink:

You can also get one of these :

Basically a flash drive that uses SD cards for memory.

Y’all are awesome; helpful to an (almost) stranger and cute too (esp. teddy’s li’I thingie.)
I do hope I never have to ask a question like “So, how d’ya think we can go about world peace?” I don’t think there are enough tootsie rolls.

thanks again
Donna
now sweating in NY

[QUOTE=CheBella;2488226]Y’all are awesome; [/QUOTE] We think so too :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=CheBella;2488226]cute too [/QUOTE] Best you check the thread where our photos are before you say that :o

[QUOTE=CheBella;2488226]hope I never have to ask a question like “So, how d’ya think we can go about world peace?” [/QUOTE] We have a few threads bout that…haven´t quite solved it , but…nearly…:doh:

[QUOTE=CheBella;2488226]now sweating in NY[/QUOTE] Please discuss this in the Temperature thread :stuck_out_tongue: