Can I uniinstall the Acer software?

vbimport

My laptop came with this Acer Empowering Technology software that launches every time the computer is turned on and it never works (i.e. the framework technology has failed). I would like to just uninstall it because I don’t even use it. Can I do this without damaging any other important files? If so, where are these files located?

Thanks.

With an Acer I had I just replaced Vista with XP and got rid of every piece of useless software. I’m sure you don’t want to go that route, but what you might want to do is use something like Autoruns to disable the offending startup programs. This way if there is any problem you can just re-enable a program. Also, aren’t there some keys that are used with the Empower utilities (I traded my Acer for an old Toughbook so I don’t have it to look at)? These keys will probably no longer function. If you still want to remove the programs (to recover some disk space if nothing else) it shouldn’t be a problem. Since Acer’s come with a recovery partition you can always revert back.

Autoruns: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

[QUOTE=Syrich;2477857]My laptop came with this Acer Empowering Technology software that launches every time the computer is turned on and it never works (i.e. the framework technology has failed). I would like to just uninstall it because I don’t even use it. Can I do this without damaging any other important files? If so, where are these files located?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You can do as Whappo says and also as well just go to Acer site and download the drivers for your laptop to run the hardware and if you have a full install of Win XP just load XP itself and then install the drivers for the laptop and that should get you going. At least this way you won’t have all those annoying programs that you won’t ever use or need. I done this on Dell and HP laptops just by install the XP by itself and install each of the drivers from that specific laptop thus cleaning out unwanted or unneeded program for it to run efficently.