Can I put multiple .avi on DVD for a DVD player?

vbimport

Hi All

This is my first post here,so please ignore my ignorance
I have a standalone Philips DVP532K DVD player. I intend to burn multiple .avi files (~700 MB each) on a DVD and make sure it is playable on my DVD player.
Is it possible ? I checked the manual of my player but couldnt find whether it supported .avi playback or not.
Also , in the case that burning the .avi files directly may not work, can I convert them to VOB and burn them in a fashion such that I can select from a menu which file to play ?

I would be most grateful for your help

Thanks

Welcome Zurvan, and remember Google is your friend…Find out if your player supports avi…If it doesn’t then yes using something like FAVC,ConvertxtoDVD or DVDflick ,you can compile several avi’s and convert to DVD with menu… I normally don’t burn more than 2.5 hrs of video on DVD-5 disc…Others will put in their 2cents soon enough…

Thanks for your reply.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2153217] I normally don’t burn more than 2.5 hrs of video on DVD-5 disc…[/QUOTE]Why is it so ? I thought i would put 6 CD worth of data(~4.2 GB) on a DVD and use it.
Thanks again

If your player can playback avi’s, then yes, you can put a fair number on a dvd. Just burn the avi files as regular data files on the blank dvdr. Your player will give you a selection to choose from when you go to play them.

If your dvd player cannot play avi files, then you have to convert to dvd-video format, and that will take a lot of room. I normally convert at very high quality settings (high bitrate) and that takes even more room. So I normally get two 700mb avi’s and a menu on my dvd’s when I convert. You can go for lesser quality and fit more on, but you should not go too low on bitrate when using mpeg2, which is the codec used in dvd-video.

By the way, avi files can have any number of codecs used in them. Xvid and divx are probably the most compatible with dvd players that can use avi files. Check your avi files with MediaInfo or Gspot to find out what you have.

If your final video is over an hour and you plan to put it on one 4 GB DVD use a bitrate calculator to determine the highest bitrate you can use.
The higher the bitrate the bigger the files=good/better quality…
The lower the bitrate used the lower the quality,but you’ll fit fit more on a disc…
But if your movies are that size, they’ve been highly compressed already ,so don’t expect miracles when converting to DVD Mpeg2…

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VideoCalc

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2153256]If your player can playback avi’s, then yes, you can put a fair number on a dvd. Just burn the avi files as regular data files on the blank dvdr. Your player will give you a selection to choose from when you go to play them.[/QUOTE]
Ok I’ll try and report about this, as I cant seem to find any information in the manual regarding avi playback . It just mentions that the player plays all DVD formats and CD/SVCD
Do you have any idea whether this model (Philips DVP532K) does or does not play avi ? I guess I’ll risk a DVD :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2153262]If your final video is over an hour and you plan to put it on one 4 GB DVD use a bitrate calculator to determine the highest bitrate you can use.
The higher the bitrate the bigger the files=good/better quality…
The lower the bitrate used the lower the quality,but you’ll fit fit more on a disc…
But if your movies are that size, they’ve been highly compressed already ,so don’t expect miracles when converting to DVD Mpeg2…

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VideoCalc[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link, but does an avi have higher quality to choose from ? I mean, if my player support avi playback, then I would be watching 6 files at much higher quality compared to if I were to convert and burn ?
Sorry for constant botheration, but i really need to know
Thanks

Doing a quick GOOGLE search ,you’ll get many hits…Including this,see at the bottom “no Divx support”…
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers/philips-dvp-532k/4064

I doubt your avi’s are of a “higher quality” if full flick at 700mb size… But if they were,then yes playing as they are avi and no re-encoding, will/should result in better quality viewing…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2153268]Doing a quick GOOGLE search ,you’ll get many hits…Including this,see at the bottom “no Divx support”…
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers/philips-dvp-532k/4064

I doubt your avi’s are of a “higher quality” if full flick at 700mb size… But if they were,then yes playing as they are avi and no re-encoding, will/should result in better quality viewing…[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for that. So I’ll have to re-encode. One of my avi files has video at 1000 kbps and audio at 128 kbps. Its approximately 3 hours long. How is this quality ?

Zurvan wrote,

"One of my avi files has video at 1000 kbps and audio at 128 kbps. Its approximately 3 hours long. How is this quality ?

That’s not a 700mb file right? more like 1500mb maybe…
How does it look to [I][B]you[/B][/I]…Use the bitrate calc to determine what bitrate to use on your 3hr movie to DVD-5 disc…
Are you interested in quality or not? I personally would not put more than the one 3hr flick on a DVD-5 disc…
If you want more than one 3hr flick use a DL DVD-9 disc…Or lower the bitrate and fit more data on SL DVD-5 disc which [I]again[/I],means lower quality…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2153293]Zurvan wrote,
That’s not a 700mb file right? more like 1500mb maybe…
How does it look to [I][B]you[/B][/I]…Use the bitrate calc to determine what bitrate to use on your 3hr movie to DVD-5 disc…
Are you interested in quality or not? I personally would not put more than the one 3hr flick on a DVD-5 disc…
If you want more than one 3hr flick use a DL DVD-9 disc…Or lower the bitrate and fit more data on SL DVD-5 disc which [I]again[/I],means lower quality…[/QUOTE]

Yeah its ~1.5 GB , but is this quality better, I mean when i put it in DVD format, is this going to take up whole 4.5 GB with the same 1000 kb/s bitrate ? I feel this is an already reduced quality, i would prefer not to reduce this more

Zurvan my friend,you’re not following very well…Does the avi look good to you?
Any time you re-encode you’ll be throwing out some quality…
If you want to preserve as much quality as possible,then use the bitrate calc to determine the bitrate needed for one SL disc…If you wish to use the same bitrate as the avi’s then do so,and compile more than one file(use the bitrate calc) to determine how many to fit on one DVD-5 disc…
Don’t expect miracles as you’ll still be re-encoding…

Converting sucks and takes up too much time, get urself a DVD player that plays DivX, I don’t know if ur in the states, but you can get a Philips DVP 5140 for $39.99 at Target or Walmart in the U.S…

Hey peeps, i hope its ok to jump on an old thread, but i was wondering is ther a limit to how much/how many films i can burn as a dvd disc
[for the dvd player]

Im only making a disc full of cartoons for the kids, so quality is not important.

I used DVD flick to squeeze about 7 feature length cartoons on at about 1000kbps video, 64kbps audio, it all seemed ok but it keeps throwing errors and freezing up [have done tests and it works normally] so is ther a limit to how low i can go with the quality,
or should i be able to go as low as i want with as much as i want only for the quality to suffer during playback?

any help appreciated.

thanks

/.bob

The tests you ran, were they with the video you made prior to burning? So it ran ok on the computer? What type of disks did you burn to, and at what speed?

1000kbps is a very low bitrate for mpeg2 found in dvd video. Even for cartoons, I wouldn’t go lower than 2500 or so using DVDFlick. But I’m picky about quality. If I’m going to the trouble of encoding, I want to save as much quality as possible, which isn’t your objective here.

Look at this online bitrate calculator at videohelp.com: http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm
Enter the running time of the videos you want to use. Change Type to DVD on the calculator and you’ll see the resulting bitrate at the bottom. This should give you a better idea of how many to include in your compilation, and keep good quality.

Yeh i just burned one of the cartoons [01:15:13] on the auto fit setting as i usually use and it worked fine.

1000kbps is a very low bitrate for mpeg2 found in dvd video. Even for cartoons, I wouldn’t go lower than 2500 or so using DVDFlick. But I’m picky about quality. If I’m going to the trouble of encoding, I want to save as much quality as possible, which isn’t your objective here.

Exactly, i seem to be the only person on the interwebz lookin to create a fairly poor DVD, im talkin like a fairly poor youtube video type of quality.

Look at this online bitrate calculator at videohelp.com: http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm
Enter the running time of the videos you want to use. Change Type to DVD on the calculator and you’ll see the resulting bitrate at the bottom. This should give you a better idea of how many to include in your compilation, and keep good quality.

Thats a nifty lil tool :slight_smile:
cool it says i can put 100 hours on a disc @ 35kbps :lol:

Seriously though, so i shuld be technically able to go as low as i want, but at the cost of quality, which is really relly unimportant, as they barely even look at the tv most of the time and they only have a couple of hours a day.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I think there is a limit at the bottom…from what I’ve read the lowest setting is 300kbps for combined audio and video streams in a dvd-video. I wouldn’t want to watch it though.

Good luck with your project.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2295941]Actually I think there is a limit at the bottom…from what I’ve read the lowest setting is 300kbps for combined audio and video streams in a dvd-video. I wouldn’t want to watch it though.

Good luck with your project.[/QUOTE]

Thank you kerry, you are more helpful than google :iagree:
Now im not particularly techy but thats gotta be a good compliment eh?

An yeah i dont think i’d want to watch anything that low, i think ill try a couple of other burn/convert programs and see if that helps.

once again thank you.
good night god bless.

i have a quick question about avi files , what do you use to convert them to be able to burn them on to dvds all of my video files are avis and am having problems getting them to burn without errors btw i am newbie at this and am using nero version 7 to burn but do i need to encode them from avis to something different and how do i do that and i am using tdk dvd +r dl 8x speed /8.5gb discs to burn on and i have wasted 3 dvds so far and am tired of wasting them any help please is welcomed

[QUOTE=Vampiric1;2298789]i have a quick question about avi files , what do you use to convert them to be able to burn them on to dvds all of my video files are avis and am having problems getting them to burn without errors btw i am newbie at this and am using nero version 7 to burn but do i need to encode them from avis to something different and how do i do that and i am using tdk dvd +r dl 8x speed /8.5gb discs to burn on and i have wasted 3 dvds so far and am tired of wasting them any help please is welcomed[/QUOTE]
Don’t use DL discs. It is still more of an art than an exact science. You’ll want a new burner, Verbatim discs and ImgBurn for the final burn for any type of consistency.

Also note, assuming garden variety Xvid AVIs you can do about 3 hours per SL disc. If you aren’t too particular or are using an older 27" or smaller CRT to watch on, you try cramming up to 5 hours worth with Nero Vision. My young nieces and nephews will watch 4+ hours of kid’s stuff on their 19" TV with no complaints… your mileage may vary. :slight_smile: