Can I protect my own CDs

vbimport

Hello Everybody
Just a simple question if there is any software to make it possible to protect my EXE file that on the cd and make it run only from my cd…
sorry if it is stupid question but i don’t know any other forum to ask because you are the best here :iagree:

Yes.

1. Burn the disc.
  2. Take something sharp, and GOUGE a GINORMOUS scratch into the disc.

Oh wait, that will make it not work for ANYONE.

sigh

NO, YOU CANNOT COPY PROTECT YOUR OWN DISCS.

Not being mean, just blunt.

thanx dear for your reply…that was really clear :wink:

You’re welcome. Sorry if we get a little overzealous, but there must be 100 people a month who ask this question on one of the CDR/DVDR support forums, and it’s always a relatively ridiculous thing. Most of the people who ask it want to make copies of their DVD’s that they can turn around and protect so that they can lend them out and not have their friends copy them.

Of course this seems stupid, because it is - you like the person enough to lend them your illegal copy of a movie, but not enough to let them copy it? In some cases the loser in question wants to hang onto the notoriety of being “the DVD guy” in his/her group of friends. Whatever.

But the truth is that with some rare and very limited exceptions (there ARE ways to keep a DVD from being copied but still leave it watchable that involve a sharp object and physical damage to the disc), it just isn’t possible for us, the end users, to put protection on a disc - because the only really useful protections are purely physical, and our burners won’t put those sorts of intentional errors onto the blank media.

Actually there are various ways you can copy-protect your own discs, if you have a Plextor for example you can use SecureRec. I don’t use them though and have no idea how effective they are, my guess is: not very. I’m not sure where Gurm got the idea that you can’t protect your discs, you can even use CSS if you have GEAR Pro. Obviously I don’t know your reasons for wanting to do this but it’s still not something I personally support regardless.

SecureRec just encrypts the data. You have to have a viewer on your PC to read a SecureRec disc, and there’s NOTHING preventing you from just dragging all the data on the SecureRec disc to a folder on your desktop and burning it again. Hardly a useful protection scheme… and I’d rather just use a REAL encryption program like PGP.

I don’t use them though and have no idea how effective they are, my guess is: not very.

BINGO.

I’m not sure where Gurm got the idea that you can’t protect your discs, you can even use CSS if you have GEAR Pro.

No, no you can’t. You can SAY you want to use CSS, but since CSS keys live in a physical area of the disc which your burner can’t burn, there’s no way to PUT CSS onto a blank DVD without a DVD press - and if you had a DVD press, you wouldn’t need to ask about protection on Club CD Freaks. :wink:

[quote]obviously I don’t know your reasons for wanting to do this but it’s still not something I personally support regardless.

Exactly.