Can I play copied DVD's on a stand alone DVD player?

I’m very new to this and have sucessfully copied a DVD which I can play on my PC but it wont work in my stand alone DVD player. Is it possible to play copied disc’s in a stand alone DVD player? The stand alone DVD player is a Toshiba (4yrs old) and cost me bucket loads of cash compared to how much you pay now…

That entirely depends on the compability the standalone dvd player has.

Perhaps if you made it a book type dvd (New nero versions can booktype the dvd±r recording) it’ll work ?

Kinda similar story

Originally posted by degrosha
I’m very new to this and have sucessfully copied a DVD which I can play on my PC but it wont work in my stand alone DVD player. Is it possible to play copied disc’s in a stand alone DVD player? The stand alone DVD player is a Toshiba (4yrs old) and cost me bucket loads of cash compared to how much you pay now…
Console/stand alone players generally do not recognize burned (dvd+r or dvd-r) media if they were made prior to 2003. Note that I used the word generally.

Several things impact the odds of a console player being compatible with burned media:
Console player
dvd burner
dvd manufacturer
dvd batch
dvd burner software
burn speed…lowering the burn speed to 2x may help

In addition…some console players like +r media while even more favor -r media.

Your highest odds may be realized by burning onto cd’s. Console players tend to be less finicky about playing cd’s.

This is all quite a challenge. Buckle your seat belt and hold on.

Do a search for your stand alone player here: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

It should tell you what formats your old player would support, if any.

Don’t be discouraged by the age of your player. I have an old player I bought almost 5 years ago. When I first started burning, I was using DVD-RW’s (for practice), and they wouldn’t play in that player, but would play in my newer DVD player. I did some research on my dinosaur, and it turns out it just didn’t like -RW discs, but would take -R and +RW. Copies work great when you use the right media. Good luck!

Well thanks everyone for replying, today I was out shopping and decided to take a look at the huge array of DVD players and finally decided to buy another one that would play my backups. Picked up a super cheap DVD player for AUS $98.00 that does everything. It’s better than my DVD player I paid $1600.00 even does Region 1 DVD’s.

My 2 year old Toshiba will not play burned dvd’s but my 5 year old JVC will play them.

I also had another 2002 player that would not play dvd-r.

Overall I would say media quality is the number one problem of certain players not working with burnt DVD’s.