Can I move a laptop burner into desktop?

I have a dvd burner from my toshiba a70 satelitte laptop. I was wondering if I could stick that into my desktop.The reason why I want to do that is that my laptop took a dump and i cant see that burner sitting there collecting dust.

its a multi layering drive

I have a toshiba a70 satelitte laptop that broke down but it has a dvd multi recorder burner and I was wondering if I can swap it into my compaq presario in the expansion bay.

No crossposting per forum rules.

The answer to your question in my opinion would probably be no as most laptop burners are slimline and desktop are full. You could do it, but there would be a wide open gaps which would contaminate your PC components and then you may be left with 2 non-functional computers.

well the connection on the back is to small I think?

Google “Slim Line CD to Desktop IDE Adapter” and you’ll have lots of choices…
I could have been more specific but your profile doesn’t say in which country
you’re located…
Don’t crosspost…

The United States

Which Brand Is The Best To Get They Are All Reasonably Priced They Have Alot Of Them.

@ryan24: As pipemanid and jhtalisman have advised, please do not cross-post. Two threads merged.

Cross-post with the Newbie forum:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=187204

All further replies there please… :flower:

What exact drive is it?

If it is an “super-slimline” drive, you maybe could get into trouble finding an suitable adaptor.

serial#4jcha360172 TJV-A Model# UJ-820B

Hi,

there are external cases (USB) for slimline drives available. I think, something like that is more useful than installing a notebook drive internally. Also, you’d need a special front bezel for the drive, if installed internally.

Michael

This Might Be A Stupid Question But Do I Really Need An External Case Or A Special Bezel Or Could I Just Lay The Drive In The Bay?

You want to have your drive properly fixed to get acceptable burn results. You also want a proper airflow in your computer.

Those adapters for internal use are only a piece of electronics:
http://www.reichelt.de/bilder/web/C610/61285.jpg

Michael

In all honesty, regular full size dvd burners are so cheap, even for good ones (In some countries anyway), is it really worth the trouble? Newegg has had a few good burners on sale latlly for 30$ shipped or even less (I think there was a liteon at one point that was 27$ shipped).

ripit, you are absoltely right. I would have to pay 36,90€ for the installation kit to install a slimline drive into a 5,25" bay. A LG H10N black, bulk is available for 35,90€.

But I think, it just the thing, that the original poster wants to use that existing drive instead of leaving it lying around :slight_smile:

Michael

Well to tell ya the truth I cant afford 30 bucks right I know its sad but I have a baby coming and right now i am the only person bringing in income and the burner from my laptop worked so great i mean i paid 1500 bucks for the the laptop and since toshibas I found out are pieces of crap I would rather just buy the adaptor for 10 bucks and throw it in to my drive,or I will buy a special bezel or whatever other than that once I do that what is the next step? Will my cpu recognize the drive?

Is the drive made by toshiba or some other manufacturer

Nobody can tell you. But there should be a sticker on it showing you, what drive that is.
Okay, I understand your pecuniar situation. What about selling the drive @ebay? If you are lucky, then you’d get enough money to buy a full size drive for your desktop…

Michael