Can I install Windows 7 on my HP Pavilion 15-r063tu (J8B77PA) laptop?

Can I install Windows 7 on my HP Pavilion 15-r063tu (J8B77PA) laptop?
https://mobilespecs.net/laptop/HP/HP_Pavilion_15-r063tu_J8B77PA.html
windows 8 i don’t like

If you can get drivers for Windows 7, you can perhaps install it.
But. Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7, so perhaps it isn’t a good idea.
Windows 10 may be an option.

1 Like

I would install Windows 10. IMO, it is a much better operating system than Windows 7 & 8. There shouldn’t be any issues with drivers from what I see of your system specs. I think you would like it. I bypassed Windows 8 because I did not like it either but found Windows 10 to be Microsoft’s best operating system yet, IMO.

Intels 4000-series should work with Windows 7, but I would only install it if I have a very good reason, like a very important SW which not work on other OS.

I´m still not so happy with W10, I don´t know why ppl say it´s so much better than all other Windows. It is because of the forced updates an OS which annoys often and in the wrong moment. And if your SW run atm on it, you don´t know whether it´s still working after the next 1/2-year-update. At the work a newer W10 made VMWare 12 workstation incompatible.

But MS is so big on the market, it´s hard to pass them by. Linux is still no alternative and I doubt it ever will be, MacOS is even more restrictive.

@Tester_1
Regarding Win 10. It’s called personal choice, and you’re wrong about Linux. Linux is very viable as long as you don’t require software that is only available on Windows.

@fasder
I just checked HP’s website. if you have either the Mediatek or Broadcom variant of WiFi and Bluetooth, then Win7 is not supported.

3 Likes

After finding/collecting SW for my personal choice in >20 years the software-compatibilty is the most important thing for me to choose the OS.

Linux have a many software for free, but it´s often complicated to use.

That´s the reason why many ppl who hate Windows still use Windows :wink:

Linux don´t reach 2% of the end users.

Win8.1 isn´t that bad, but ppl hate it because of the Windows Mobile lookalike. I use Open Shell and modified a bit and will stay with it on some of my many PCs/Notebooks the next years

You got only two real options… Windows 10 or Linux. I suggest giving Linux Mint (i.e. https://linuxmint.com/ ) a try as it’s probably the best alternative to someone who is used to Windows with it’s interface. I have been using Linux Mint for a full year now on my main computer and don’t have Windows installed on any of my computers (technically, I do have Windows 10 installed but only as a virtual machine using VirtualBox on Linux).

but being you got a decent CPU, I suspect Windows 10 will run fine. if you got Windows 7 activated you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free using the official Media Creation Tool… https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

p.s. but with Linux Mint v19.3, which is currently the newest version of Mint available, it defaults to the v5.0 kernel upon a clean install which is only supported til Feb 2020 which is why as soon as you install it, I would switch back to the v4.15 kernel as that’s supported for the life of the v19.x series which is til the year 2023. I think reason they shipped it with the v5.0 kernel is for those people who have fairly recent hardware it’s more likely it will be supported. but if your hardware is not fairly new, chances are v4.15 work. but if for whatever reason v4.15 does not work then you will have to upgrade kernels occasionally as the newest available on Mint right now is v5.3 which is supported til Aug 2020. but anyways, to switch back to a older kernel you need to do this… assuming your currently on the v5.0 kernel, you go to ‘Update Manager > Linux Kernels > v4.15’ then click on the newest one, which is currently ‘4.15.0-76’, and select ‘Install’. once that’s done reboot the computer and hold the SHIFT key and it should bring you to a advanced like menu (don’t use the safe mode type of stuff) where you can select which kernel you want to boot and then you select the v4.15 you just installed and after Mint boots up, assuming everything looks in good running order to you, you then go back to the ‘Update Manager > View > Linux Kernels’ and click on ‘5.0’ and remove any installed kernels in that section. then from now on when you use your computer like normal (like after shutting it down or reboots etc) it will automatically use the v4.15 series kernels.

True, given the market share it appears it’s about 2% tops. but I think as a bonus, the average person is safer browsing random websites online with Linux than with Windows as Linux will likely protect themselves from themselves since any shady software etc they stumble into will almost always be Windows only and since by default Windows software won’t run on Linux, it stops them from installing random junk. or look at it this way… take the average person and have them browse online with Linux vs Windows for a while, with Linux they will almost surly have zero viruses where as with Windows, probably not so much. sure, I realize Linux can’t protect people from Phishing scams since that does not matter which OS your using. but many threats that effect Windows, Linux will be immune to by default simply because any virus and the like that requires Windows to function, simply won’t touch Linux.

as a bonus with Linux, while it’s already quite secure by default, I suggest one installs Firejail (i.e. https://sourceforge.net/projects/firejail/files/firejail/ ; currently the newest one I am using is “firejail_0.9.62_1_amd64.deb”), which is a sandbox for ones browser, as it gives a solid boost to a already secure Firefox/Chrome browser as even if some zero-day exploit bypassed the Firefox browsers security it would also have to escape the Firejail sandbox, which is unlikely, before it could get any real access to your system and damage it. Firejail is easy to use and pretty much stays out of ones way. what I suggest is this… if your using Cinnamon edition of Mint (which is their most popular version of Mint) you can search for ‘Firefox’ in the start menu which ‘Firefox Web Browser’ will turn up and right click on that and select ‘Add to desktop’, which will create a shortcut on ones desktop and from there right click on the Firefox desktop icon and select ‘Properties’ and on the ‘Basic > Command’ section change the ‘firefox %u’ to ‘firejail firefox %u’ , then click close. now when you run Firefox from the desktop icon it will automatically be using the firejail sandbox (you can see whether it worked by going to the ‘Terminal’ and typing ‘firejail --tree’ (without the ') and press enter as if you see Firefox processes listed there, it’s using Firejail. but if for whatever reason you want to run the browser like normal(without the firejail sandbox), make sure Firefox is closed first(as in exited the program), just load Firefox up from the icon in the taskbar (since this still functions like normal). NOTE: by default when running Firefox in firejail sandbox, it will only allow you to save files you download online to ones ‘Downloads’ folder as even if you can save to another location it will automatically be deleted once you close the browser. but any files you download/put into to the ‘Downloads’ folder will stay persistent even once you close the firejailed Firefox session. you can add additional download locations if you prefer, as I did, but it requires editing some configuration text files which I suspect the average person won’t need to do.

also, Firejail works with some other programs to but since the browser will generally pose the biggest security risk, that’s why I would primarily be concerned with securing that and don’t really worry about much else.

but like I was saying… ones chances of getting a virus and the like on Linux is slim-to-nothing in general. just make sure you apply updates that the ‘Update Manager’ finds fairly promptly as, unlike Windows, Linux Mint does not force updates on you as all updates it finds need your permission to install and that even includes browser updates as you don’t want to be running a outdated browser as that could potentially put you at risk online.

with Linux Mint, Firefox is the only browser installed by default but one can install Chrome if you want as it’s not difficult (i.e. https://www.google.com/chrome/ ; click ‘Download Chrome’ and on popup screen select “64 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu)” and click ‘Accept and Install’ to download it and then run it like you would with any Windows program). I prefer Firefox over Chrome anyways but I have Chrome installed as more of a backup browser.

even on the small amount of Windows software I do use, like say Foobar2000, it works under Wine along with a small amount of games I play (Mafia/Mafia II/Mafia III) here and there between Wine/Lutris combo.

1 Like

Why Windows 8.1 is not an option (for someone that doesn’t like Windows 10) for as long as they are supported?

For someone who’s running Windows 7, you can still get Windows 10 for free. so it would not make much sense to even consider Windows 8 if you ask me assuming Windows 10 works half way decently with your hardware and it’s newer and is basically the new standard for Windows whether people like it or not since Windows 7 was the standard for years until fairly recently.

but I noticed for computers with really under-powered CPU’s… Linux Mint definitely runs better as on my HP2000 laptop (AMD E-300 CPU(clearly a underpowered CPU)) runs too slow on Windows 10 (it uses too much CPU in general as things are pretty sluggish) but with Linux Mint on it, it’s usable and runs quick enough to where it’s not annoyingly slow like it is with Windows 10. but as long as your CPU is decent, this should not be any obvious issue like it is with underpowered CPU’s. the 19.x series of Linux Mint is supported til the year 2023 and v20, which should be due out sometime this year, will be supported til 2025.

Windows 8.1 is supported til Jan 2023 where as Windows 10 should be for the foreseeable future and unless for whatever reason Windows 10 does not like your hardware I don’t see much reason to use Windows 8 over Windows 10 at this point in time for those who want to go with the Windows route especially given Windows 10 can still be gotten for free and is the new standard for Windows at the end of the day.

but on a personal level back when Windows 8 came out, it’s interface was horrible as it was made for tablets and not for desktop/laptops which I think buried that OS and it never recovered as I briefly used it in a virtual machine and immediately did not like it as doing basic tasks was a chore as it’s core interface was not suited for desktops/laptops at all. I suspect this is largely why Windows 8 got a bad image and it never recovered. it’s market share is quite low to right now to as a high percentage of Windows users are using either Windows 7 or Windows 10 right now (with most being on Windows 10).

p.s. my old computer, which is pretty much from 2006, simply won’t install the 64bit version of Windows 10 (it appears the motherboard lacks ‘NX-bit’ support) as while the 32bit version installs, the computer is not stable at all (so it can’t be used) even though Windows 7 is stable and so is Linux Mint and being Windows 7 is no longer supported, Linux is my only real choice on that particular old computer. my primary computer can use Windows 10 though as I was using that from Dec 2015 through Jan 2019 (I had the basic setup since May 2012) and have basically dumped Windows for Linux Mint since. hell, even recently I got done changing over my hard drives from NTFS (the default file system for Windows) to EXT4 (the default file system for Linux) as I noticed, while NTFS works on Linux, it’s transfer speeds are limited and don’t go their full speed like EXT4 does (or NTFS does on a Windows machine). it’s not a fault with NTFS, just that Linux does not work as optimally with NTFS as Windows does but works at it’s best with EXT4. on a side note… I noticed downloading torrents on Linux to a NTFS drive seems to act up in the sense it will download, claim it’s 100% done, then when I pause it and force a recheck it’s missing a small amount of data (like say 99.xx% completed) and then when it re-downloads the small amount of data the torrent is truly 100% complete (this was just for torrents though as general downloads and file transfers worked fine). but I noticed when I changed one of my hard drives over to EXT4, and downloaded some torrents to it, that issue is fixed as I download it once and it just works on the first try and it’s been consistent to over the last year I had been using it to where once in a while I would get lucky to where the torrent download would finish first try but a very high percentage of the time that issue would occur. but after switching to EXT4, of which I have probably downloaded at least 5-10 torrents since, not a single issue. but changing ones hard drives from NTFS to EXT4 I would only do if your pretty sure your not going back to Windows since Windows can’t read EXT4 drives.

I don’t really want to start an argument as this topic is supposed to be about Windows 7, but I don’t believe that you get Windows 10 for free even if you don’t pay any money. And after being forced to use Windows 10 at work, Windows 8.1 doesn’t look that ugly to me anymore.

1 Like

I can prove you wrong… take any random computer with a activated copy of Windows 7 on it and run that Media Creation Tool (which is a official tool from Microsoft), which I linked to above, and upgrade and after the upgrade see if Windows 10 is activated. once you confirm it is, you can wipe the hard drive and clean install Windows 10 1909, using the official ISO, and skip over the CD key section during install and it will automatically activate when your online.

I tried that last year in 2019 (on a couple of used laptops I got a hold of) and it still works even though Microsoft stopped officially advertising it July 29th 2016.

I am not saying that it will not activate. I am saying that you will be paying anyway by sending your personal details (through telemetry) to Microsoft for as long as you will be using Windows 10.

Much of the tracking in Windows 10 can be turned off. Besides, anyone with an Android or Apple phone has already given away more personal information than they will ever know. The personal privacy ship sailed away a very long time ago.

Unfortunately, Mickysoft has pulled the plug on Windows 7. The best compromize that I have found is Windows 10 with Classic Shell installed. It replaces the goofy windows 8/10 style tiles with a real start menu that looks and WORKs just like windows 7. As pointed out in several of the replies, windows 10 can be installed with a ‘local’ account that removes the linkage to a Microsoft account. I hope this info helps!

You have to use OpenShell now, ClassicShell don´t supportt newer builds of W10.

W10 is still the biggest data spinner, even with turned off functions.

But who don´t want use Linux (that means almost all who ever tried it) have in some years no change to pass W10 by.

I still use on many of my PCs W8.1 with ClassicShell and switched off the charms bar. It´s a fast, stable OS without forced updates and works better on weak laptops than the all-time-updated W10

Some posts in this thread make me chuckle, they really do.
You have some folks slagging off Linux, who have no clue about its values and shortcomings.

Windows is just a fancy shell around a reasonable kernel, and a very ugly and broken sub system. So much so that Microsoft are already exploring the possibility of switching to using a UNIX kernel and doing away with the horrible dynamic link libraries. Apple already went down this route with their OS.

Where Windows wins through has very little to do with Microsoft. What makes it a winner is the amount of quality software that is available on the platform.
Things are changing fast though, especially for gamers.

Google Stadia runs on a Linux platform with Vulcan. Steam runs on Linux, again with Vulcan and Proton, allowing thousands of Windows games to run on Linux. Many games are now ported to run on Linux. So much so that far bigger sites than Myce are stating that Linux is the future of gaming.

Possibly more important to people on this forum, apps like HandBrake, Davinci Resolve, Chrome, Firefox, Spotify, etc etc Linux versions, look and function exactly the same as the Windows versions, and very often with better performance. Davinci Resolve is a prime example.

1 Like

I try Linux since almost 20 years, ever and ever. And never stayed with it.

If you work in the Windows-world with alöl the advantages, you stay with it.

Even actual Linux, like Mint, can´t compared with my first Linux-experiences, it´s still not good enough if you do a bit more than watching Videos, listen to music or surfing in the web.

If a driver was not build in und can waste hours to get it work, if you really get it to work. With Windows, even with 10 years old Win7, if you don´t have a CD/DVD with a fitting driver you can get it work in less than 5 mins because you can download a setup-file.

There is a reason why over 80% PCs run on not-free windows and only 1,2% on Linux.

Yes, I want an OS which is free, which don´t send my data to somewhere in USA, but it should also be good in everyday usage. But Linux isn´t able to do so, even with all the different distris.

I´m not one of the guys who are afraid of using other OSses and I have enough experience with it (Yeah, some of my DVB-settop-boxes run on Linux), but I don´t want waste lots of my time to do things in Linux which are immediately done in Windows.

@Tester_1
Perhaps something is being lost in your translation to English. But you’re trying to come across as some sort of authority on Linux and what it can and cant do. Yet you freely admit to struggling to install drivers, and admit to thinking that Linux is only useful for viewing videos, listening to music, and browsing the web.

Did you know that Hollywoods preferred solution for editing and colour grading the movies they produce, is done on an app that I mentioned in my previous post ‘Davinci Resolve’?
Not running on Windows, but in nearly all cases, Linux or Apple.

Back to drivers. You can only download Windows drivers if the device is supported in your target version of Windows. The OP in thread wanted to run Win7, but as we’ve already discovered, WiFi and Bluetooth, depending on what hardware is fitted in the laptop, may not be supported.

I run Windows and Linux, but I wouldn’t use Windows at all if my pro sound card and Avid ProTools were available in Linux.
I do all my video editing, video and audio re-encoding, graphics work, and everything else on Linux

Will my privacy not be invaded if I use a “local” instead of a Microsoft account?

I´m not an authority to Linux but because I try it from time to time I have experiences with it. I´m not one of the guys who write shit about things I never used.

I´m the one which administrator a whole softwaretest-lab at my job. I know much about PCs and installing drivers. I get older Windows run on newer hadware, which isn´t always easy. But I don´t need to waste hour after hour to do it.

If you waste day and night for build a Linux-system which hardware that is not supported out of the box, you can do it :slight_smile:

I´ve tried it some weeks ago because for a special network-test an older Ubuntu is mandatory. But even after spend some hours, searching and downloading drivers, compiled em, copying single files into folders I need special access, reading How to´s, it wont run.

So I had to do an reinstall of the whole system, configure all new, which was a lot of work. The network-card runs now, but all the work because the Linux don´t recognize a network-card because it was inserted after the Linux-install, that´s not good.

In Windows no problem, in less than 5 minutes this special Intel network-card worked, with 8.1 and higher some seconds after I see the desktop without additional work.

We can discuss for hours, but I already wrote: 1,2% market share for Linux in Desktop. I remember some years ago it was nearly 2%, but it decreased.

And if Hollywood use it, maybe some ppl can use one software on Linux, but I´m sure most of these ppl won´t get it to run if the enviroment isn´t pre-configured.