Can I get hook this stuff up together?

vbimport

Hi.

I’m moving in the next few days and I’m wondering if I can hook up my sound system to my dvd player and my new TV.

I bought my sound system about 9 years ago, so it’s old but hardly used since my landlord didn’t really liked loud music.

Anyway I’m moving in the next few days and I got a new TV so I’m wondering if I can hook up my old sound system to my dvd player to my TV.

Now my sound system was hooked up to an even older dvd player, but a few years back i bought a new one that could play dvix, xvid and such but never hooked it up to the sound system because I didn’t know how and couldn’t be bothered to read up on it.

So now I want to hook everything up in my new place.

My sound system is composed of an Technics amplifier, 5 panasonic speakers 200w 6 Ω each and a Yamaha Sub Woofer.

This is my amplifier:
Front:

Back:

This is what my speakers look like:

Sound Woofer:

My DVD player is PHILIPS, this is what it looks like from the back:

and lastly this is my new TV:

Now the TV is a few months old, my dvd is like 3 years old while my sound system is 9.

The dvd player needs a coaxial cable for audio, thats why I didn’t know how to hook it up. The amplifier has a ton of cables that use to go in my old dvd player.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea if I can hook all of this together or what kind of new DVD player should I buy to make this thing happen. Or is there no hope because some of it is outdated?

Thanks.

From the looks of it you will need RCA plugs to hook up the correct RCA from each units to the Amplifier and the speakers to the right connectors on the Amplifier. If you take a closer look they are clearly marked to help you figure out where to hook at. And you TV should still have RCA plugs as well that can be hooked to the Amplifier from where you speakers will play all the sounds you need to send through it. Just take a closer look at the back of you Amplifier and you should see what what plugs in and where to get it to work. Otherwise you will need to get your Amplifier manual out or get it on the net and read what you need to do and how to do the correct hookup. Since we don’t see what each hookup looks like you will have to determine it from the looks of it. Also you will need to provide the back of those speakers so we know what kinda of wire there are and also the make and model of the speaker along with the amplifier make and model as well as the dvd player and tv make and model so we know if those that have similar can give you more help on the hookups.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2584674]From the looks of it you will need RCA plugs to hook up the correct RCA from each units to the Amplifier and the speakers to the right connectors on the Amplifier. If you take a closer look they are clearly marked to help you figure out where to hook at. And you TV should still have RCA plugs as well that can be hooked to the Amplifier from where you speakers will play all the sounds you need to send through it. Just take a closer look at the back of you Amplifier and you should see what what plugs in and where to get it to work. Otherwise you will need to get your Amplifier manual out or get it on the net and read what you need to do and how to do the correct hookup. Since we don’t see what each hookup looks like you will have to determine it from the looks of it. Also you will need to provide the back of those speakers so we know what kinda of wire there are and also the make and model of the speaker along with the amplifier make and model as well as the dvd player and tv make and model so we know if those that have similar can give you more help on the hookups.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply.

The speaker use normal speaker wire like this:

Now my biggest problem is that my OLD DVD player looked something like this from behind:

And here you can see that is clearly marked which cable goes where. For audio.

So I had no trouble hooking up the amplifier to the DVD player, because everything was marked clearly. I put the speaker wire in the amplifier and the RCA cables from the amplifier to the DVD player and everything worked fine.

BUT, my new DVD player doesn’t look nothing like my old one as you can see in the photo. IT HAS ONLY ONE AUDIO OUT!
It says coaxial cable.

Now I don’t know where to put all those RCA cables from the amplifier.

This is my trouble.

Is it possible to hook this dvd player up to the amplifier or should I get a new one?

I’m confused . If the Phillips is your new DVD playerthe photo of it is not very clear. If you post the model number I might be able to look for a manual .
The coaxial out is for digital audio out. To use that you would need a receiver that also has a coaxial input. There are probably adapter devices that could convert this to analog audio but you probably don’t want to go that route.

You may have to just connect the TV or DVD player to the amp by just a red and white RCA cable and use the ‘TV’ input on your amp. This won’t get you Dolby Digital sound but judging by the Dolby logo on the front of the amp you can use one of its ‘Pro-Logic’ modes and still get surround sound. If you can post a clearer picture of the amp’s input connections or the model number I might be able to see a better way.

[QUOTE=cholla;2584758]I’m confused . If the Phillips is your new DVD playerthe photo of it is not very clear. If you post the model number I might be able to look for a manual .
The coaxial out is for digital audio out. To use that you would need a receiver that also has a coaxial input. There are probably adapter devices that could convert this to analog audio but you probably don’t want to go that route.[/QUOTE]

Yeah my DVD player is this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-DVP5160-Multi-region-Capable-progressive/dp/B000TCZ342

It’s quite good it plays most dvix and xvid files just fine from usb flash drives. That is the main reason i bought it. I use to have my TV hooked up to my PC with an S-video but I have since switched to watching everything from USB on this DvD player.

Anyway I just CHECKED AND I WAS WRONG! THERE ARE 3 AUDIO OUTS.
ONE IS THE COAXIAL AND THERE IS AN AUDIO L AND R OUT.

But since my amp was bought in early 2002 i don’t think it has a coaxial input.
I don’t have it here with me and I might have the manual somewhere around the house, will look for it.

And i found this photo online from the back of my amplifier:

You may have to just connect the TV or DVD player to the amp by just a red and white RCA cable and use the ‘TV’ input on your amp. This won’t get you Dolby Digital sound but judging by the Dolby logo on the front of the amp you can use one of its ‘Pro-Logic’ modes and still get surround sound.

Is there much difference in sound?

I see now that I will most likely need to buy a new amplifier since this one doesn’t have a digital in.

This is an image from the manual I found on the Phillips site. It is pretty self-explanitory.
If you still need help connecting to your receiver just ask.

If you want to connect the coaxial digital output you will need a different amp.
There is probably an adapter that would accept the coaxial from the DVD player & then output to the subwoofer ,center & surround inputs also.
I didn’t look for one.That way you would have 5-channel sound.

Connecting with the red & white Audio cables you will have 2-channel stereo analog.

You can accomplish what you need, but you will have composite connections and you would not be taking advantage of what your DVD player and newer T.V. can offer you.

A newer amp would help. I guess it boils down to what are expectations and what your budget is.

A new amp can be purchased for a reasonable price that offer component connections (Red - Pr , Blue - Pb and Green - Y ) and have digital audio connections such as coaxial and optical. This alone would make a world of difference.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=cholla;2584818]
If you want to connect the coaxial digital output you will need a different amp.
There is probably an adapter that would accept the coaxial from the DVD player & then output to the subwoofer ,center & surround inputs also.
I didn’t look for one.That way you would have 5-channel sound.[/QUOTE]

So beside stereo, a converter is my only option for surround sound?

I wouldn’t be able to live with myself having 5 speakers in my living room plus a sub woofer for only stereo sound.

I guess my only option is a converter.

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS.

[QUOTE=NaMeK;2584833] I guess my only option is a converter. [/QUOTE]

Or a new reciever with coaxial digital input.

No, as I said a couple of posts ago, if you hook it up as stereo your amp can produce 5 channels using its Dolby Pro-Logic decoder.

I’ve never liked the way the Dolby Pro-Logic works on my Pioneer receiver. It certainly would be a good temporary option though .
Still the optical audio out should give real 5-channel when connected to the right receiver.
I didn’t look up the specs on this DVD player so I’m not sure what the optical audio output actually outputs.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2584863]No, as I said a couple of posts ago, if you hook it up as stereo your amp can produce 5 channels using its Dolby Pro-Logic decoder.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I’ll try that.