Can I email a short video taken with a digital camera?

vbimport

I have a Kodak C653 digital camera which allows me to take short video shots…maybe 20-30 seconds in length. The camera is intended (of course) to be used to take still digital images…but this digital video feature is neat.

I’d like to use this video movie feature to show my two grandson’s their batting stance during their little league baseball games…without having to buy an expensive video camera.

My questions are:

1. Can these short videos be shared with my grandson’s via email?
  2. If so, what do I have to do to them to get them ready for email?
  3. Can I burn a group of these short videos onto a DVD? If so, how?

I found the following video capturing specs at the Kodak site (which I had not seen before):

Video capture
Format QUICKTIME MOV with audio recording available
Quality VGA (640 × 480) at 10 fps, QVGA (320 × 240) at 20 fps
Length < 80 min. continuous based on memory capacity
Review options play, rewind, pause, fast forward and rewind, forward and rewind by frame
Editing trim, make picture from video (1, 4, 9, 16-up)

Thank you very much for your assistance.

1:It depends on how big a file you can send via email, for example if i recall correct hotmail will only allow you to send a file up to 10mb in size.
2:If your file your sending is under the limit your email provider permits then you just attach the mpeg(im guessing its a mpeg) file to the email as you would any other file.
3:Yes you can but there are a lot of different software programs out there to do so, some are freeware some are not. Tmpgenc Author ain’t too bad, others may know some other easy to use programs.

Thanks Jedi,

Did you see the camera format info I added a few minutes ago?

Video caputuring format is: QUICKTIME MOV (whatever that is).

[B]What format should I use to burn the videos to DVD?[/B]

[QUOTE=burnselk;2044193]Thanks Jedi,

Did you see the camera format info I added a few minutes ago?

Video caputuring format is: QUICKTIME MOV (whatever that is).

[B]B][/QUOTE]
I checked with AT&T my provider & their limit is 20 MB .So I guess it depends on the provider.
What are the files on your computer after you download them from the camera?

Hi again cholla,

The format is .mov when I look at them as they’re stored on a SD memory card. I haven’t tried to use them for anything yet…just looked at them…haven’t downloaded them yet either. Any advice?

Thanks for your help.

I haven’t worked with any .mov & I bet that is the way they would download to the computer.You might try & see if that’s the way they download.
My Fuji does the same but I haven’t tried the short video feature further than to test it.Then I just erased it.
So I suggest downloading to your computer & see if the file format is still.mov.If it is it will have to be converted I think.But it might be possible to send as a .mov file .They ones receiving the .mov would have to have something that would play the .mov file.
You might have to put the .mov file in a zip file to email it.Some things depend on what your provider allows to be sent as an attachment.same for the receiving end.

You’re right cholla, it downloads as a .mov file…and Yahoo accepts no more than 20MB atttachments…of this particularly short video (11.4MB) is emailable.

I sent it to my daughter via yahoo and told her she would (probably?) have to download Mac’s free Quicktime player to view the .mov video…Quicktime works good in my Windows XP Home…would it work in WMP? I didn’t try…not sure I know how.

How about putting these short videos on a DVD…what type dvd should I use… dvd-R or what?

Hi burnselk;I decided to play with my Fuji camera a bit before I got back to you.It does its video as a .avi.With just the camera memory it will only do 16 seconds of video but that’s with sound.I haven’t figured out if I can turn the sound recording off yet.
With its 1GB SD card it can do 28 min. So I shot a 32 sec. video & messed around with that.I used both Super & Zune Video Converter to convert the .avi to a .mov neither would work in the program I was going to suggest for burning the .mov into DVD files that could be burned to disc.
I did download a .mov file off the internet it worked with this program.
So you might give it a try.I think the difference is in which codec the .mov file uses.So if it doesn’t work maybe it can be sorted out with GSpot.
VLC player seemed to work with any of the converted .mov files or the one I got from the internet so you might have her try it.
Try to use this DivxtoDVD it’s the older freeware by VSO.If you have the VSO ConvertXtoDVD it is supposed to have more features like most shareware does.VSO ConvertXtoDVD also has a trial version but it is crippled by a watermark.DivxtoDVD is the full version.You can get it here
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/vso_divxtodvd_free.cfm
Let me know if it works,If it does you will have a burnable VIDEO_TS folder.I would just try one of the .mov files to test with but if it works you can do multiple files at the same time.It just creates a .vob for each one.If you want to get fancy you can use a menu program like DVDStyler to assign buttons to each so you can select the one you want.DVDstyler will also burn it to either the HD or a disc.

[B]Just wanted to share with you what I found about .mov:[/B]

file extension .mov
File Type: Apple QuickTime Movie
Information: Common multimedia format most often used for saving video or movie files; uses a proprietary compression algorithm developed by Apple Computer; compatible with both Macintosh and Windows platforms.
File Format: Proprietary file format used by Apple software.
File Usage: Open file directly.
Open With: Windows / Mac: Apple QuickTime Player
Last Revised: January 3, 2007

burnselk; Heres what I found out about .mov & WMP from Microsoft web site:
QuickTime Content (.mov, .qt)
Versions of Windows Media Player that support this file type:
• Windows Media Player 7
• Windows Media Player for Windows XP
• Windows Media Player 9 Series
• Windows Media Player 10
• Windows Media Player 11
Apple Computer developed the QuickTime file format to create, edit, publish, and view multimedia files. QuickTime format can contain video, animation, graphics, 3D and virtual reality (VR) content. Only QuickTime files version 2.0 or earlier can be played in Windows Media Player. Later versions of QuickTime require the proprietary Apple QuickTime Player.
So if your camera does the older .mov WMP will play it but won’t the newer .mov files.
VLC played all the ones I converted to .mov & the one I DLed from the web.So instead of installing Quicktime I would use it because of its ability to play so many formats.
I was just wondering what information GSpot or simular program gives you about the .mov file from your camera.
My .avi file info is this:
video codecs:MJPG MotionJPEG
Audio:PCM Audio
Also did DivxtoDVD work to make burnable DVD files for you?

Also did DivxtoDVD work to make burnable DVD files for you?

cholla, I did download the free VSO DivxtoDVD converter/burner and converted one of the short videos the other night but I have not tried to burn it to a DVD yet…so I haven’t reached that stage yet, but will very soon…I just hated to burn a 3.64MB movie clip to a DVD…I want to add several of these short videos together before I burn them to a DVD. We took a couple more short videos tonight of my gr. son playing baseball.

But the Div X To DVD converter/burner (version 0.5.2.99) did put the converted video in a folder called VIDEO_TS (what does this mean?). Plus, now the videos are called “DVD Movies” instead of “Quicktime Movies”.

burnselk;Definatly would not be enough for a non rewritable disc.I keep some RW DVD discs just to try various burns.If everything works OK with them the I know it will do OK with a write once disc ®.Of course things I know will work I just go strait to an R disc.
btw I have burned & erased some of my RW discs many times They still seem to work well.It sure prevents coasters.
DivxtoDVD won’t burn directly to DVD disc you have to use a dvd burning software for that.
The VIDEO_TS folder is the same you get when you rip a movie from a disc.It’s just a lot smaller when the imput file converted is small.It depends on what burner you use but many will let you use the VIDEO_TS folder strait to disc.So what is your burner?
If it’s ImgBurn then the process is some differentBut you can still use the VIDEO_TS to build an .iso with ImgBurn & write(burn) that.
I posted it above but you can load several of the short videos in DivxtoDVD at once.They gain a little in size during the conversion but I doubt you would ever get to the 4.36GB of a single layer disc.
Each will have its own .vob file in the VIDEO_TS folder.You can open them individually with VLC player to view them.These are what you load into DVDStyler if you want to create a menu .You can also burn with DVDStyler either to the hard drive or to disc.
I would still like to know the codecs Video & Audio of your .mov files .You can check this with a software like GSpot.They may not even have Audio.
I’m just curious to see what your camera uses to compared to mine.

[QUOTE=cholla;2045474] I have burned & erased some of my RW discs many times They still seem to work well.It sure prevents coasters.[/QUOTE]

I thought about doing that cholla…and will, I have a few RW’s.

DivxtoDVD won’t burn directly to DVD disc you have to use a dvd burning software for that.

I see now cholla, the DivxtoDVD program has a small box to check if you want to burn it to DVD (using a downloaded copy of “CopytoDVD” which I have not done yet)…would CopytoDVD be good enough to burn it to an RW disk? I also have Nero 7 that came with my Sony DVD/RW burner.

So what is your burner?

Sony DRU-190A using Nero 7 SmartStart Essentials. Think this will do it? Should I go with DVDStyler instead? I noticed just now I still have a few days left on my free trial version of ExpressBurn v. 4.06.

You can also burn with DVDStyler either to the hard drive or to disc.
Do you recommend this one over what I have?

I would still like to know the codecs Video & Audio of your .mov files .You can check this with a software like GSpot.They may not even have Audio.
I’m just curious to see what your camera uses to compared to mine.

I’ll download GSpot (assuming it’s free) and see if I can figure it out, but I’ll more than likely have questions for you on this process…I’m into new areas for me with this.

[QUOTE=burnselk;2045551]
would CopytoDVD be good enough to burn it to an RW disk? I also have Nero 7 that came with my Sony DVD/RW burner. [/QUOTE]
CopytoDVD Is shareware & I don’t have it so I haven’t used it.I wouldn’t buy it since I never see it reccomended.
I don’t have Nero of any kind but I would think it should burn a VIDEO_TS folder with DVD files.
If not DVDStyler is freeware.Its burner is OK & can be used.
I mostly use CloneDVD2 but it’s also shareware.Very easy to use.
I also have Burnaware Home edition usually shareware but I got it on the giveawayoftheday web site for free.It probably will be available again there sometime.
ImgBurn(freeware) is a good burner but works somewhat different.You would build an .iso from the VIDEO_TS folder & then write(burn) the .iso to DVD disc.Many people say this is one of the best.

[QUOTE=burnselk;2045551]
Sony DRU-190A using Nero 7 SmartStart Essentials. [/QUOTE]
as above would certainly give it a try

[QUOTE=burnselk;2045551]
Should I go with DVDStyler instead? [/QUOTE]
If you want menus or don’t have something else.Certain learning curve on DVDStyler(freeware) get the Docs too if you download it. [QUOTE=burnselk;2045551]
I noticed just now I still have a few days left on my free trial version of ExpressBurn v. 4.06. [/QUOTE]
You could try it but unless you really like it I wouldn’t buy it.

[QUOTE=burnselk;2045551]
I’ll download GSpot (assuming it’s free) and see if I can figure it out, but I’ll more than likely have questions for you on this process…I’m into new areas for me with this.[/QUOTE]
Yes it’s freeware.Very easy to use.Gives more information than I know how to use myself.but the codec used is easy to see for both audio & video.

Found a ebook at Nero if the link doesn’t go directly to the page.Select Support/Tutorials then Nero 7 Pictures & Video.
The ebook has instructions.

[quote=cholla;2044344] Try to use this DivxtoDVD it’s the older freeware by VSO.You can get it here
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/vso_divxtodvd_free.cfm
Let me know if it works,If it does you will have a burnable VIDEO_TS folder. I would just try one of the .mov files to test with but if it works you can do multiple files at the same time. It just creates a .vob for each one.[/quote]

I finally tried burning a short video (after converting it with vos divxtodvd) and burning it to DVD using Nero Vision Essentials SE (Nero Vision 4-Ultra Buffer).

And it works on my standalone DVD player/TV…but the video appears to be running a bit faster than it should be…it’s only a short few seconds of video…but it does work…but it also deleted the audio somewhere along the way…wonder why?

In summary: 1. It works; 2. It seems be a bit too fast; 3. It dropped the audio somewhere along the way.

Now, if the screenshot attaches here’s GSpot showing the video and audio codecs in question:

Ops, could’nt get the screenshot small enough to attach cholla…when I did get it small enough to attach, it was so fuzzy you couldn’t read what it was showing.

So, instead I’ll just have to tell you what GSpot said about this short (seconds long) video: For Audio it uses codec AC3; for Video is uses codec MPEG 2. If you need anything else from the GSpot image, let me know…I still have the screenshot saved.

Thanks cholla.

Burnselk ;The screen shots can only be a certain size.Mine do fairly well.
GSpot shows the Frames /s in video is the speed the same for the original .mov & the converted .vob.
Sometimes speed can affect sound.Burner speed can also affect the recording to DVD so a slower burn sometimes helps.
VLC player is very universial so if you have it see if it will play the .vob & have sound.
When I tested with .mov files I had sound .
So do the Frames /s match on the two files?

After I figured out how to get it to play the video it worked fine and it has the audio too…good.

So do the Frames /s match on the two files?

I don’t know what you mean cholla…keep in mind, you’re dealing with a newbie here. Sorry.

burnselk;I will do a screen shot of a file in GSpot & show you where the Frames /s if I need to.
I think the next thing to do is play the DVD you burned in the VLC player.
Then we will go from whether it works correctly or not.
Apparantly the converted .vob played correctly in VLC before the burn.