Can I do it?

Hi,
I have two old CDs actually made for 98 that have both audio and video on them. I now have Vista Home Premium. I installed the old program using compatibilty wizard [98 instead of Vista] and although I get the video, there is no sound. So I unistalled it. Is there any way that I can still use the old CDs on Vista or would converting them to DVD work? Thanks.:confused:

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

What format are exactly the videos? Is it some proprietary format that can be read only with a specific software?

Did you check if the audio drivers are installed properly in your system?

I dislike it when someone asks a question and then after 30seconds leaves the forum give it a little time come on

:iagree: my gripe is when I do a search some1askes a Q but never comes back :sad:

Hi,
I was planning to see if any replies came to my mailbox instead of just sitting here online for a time. I do have a life and errands to run. There is NO need to take shots at me and they are definitely not warranted. I was planning to thank everyone publicly via this forum with my posts.

Anyway, these CD disk[s] - 2 of them - are golf instructions and I would like to continue using them since they have valuable information on them. I browsed the first disk and it basically only has a few files on it. 1. “setup” which is it’s own executable. 2. "golf1"
which is also it’s own executable. 3. “readme” which is only concerned with setup. 4. “VFW11E” which only seems to be for the old windows 3.1. The only different file has an extention “.asu” [small file at that] and I have no idea what that is. I’m receiving constant Windows Vista updates so I imagine that my audio drivers are up-to-date but I never went to the audio site and downloaded anything individually.

If I understood correctly, the CD contents is already installed in Vista, right? Can you post here the file extension of the videos (not the CD files, but files installed in your hard disk)?

Thanks for replying. To answer your question, no,I do not have the program installed on my computer anymore. I completely deleted it when it wasn’t working properly anymore. FYI, it never worked properly on my Vista or my friend’s XP.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Try to install it again and check the file extension of the videos.

Try also to drag one of these videos into the gspot window. This should give some more detailed information about the video.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

It could be they are data discs written on 98 & if I’m correct in 98 you have to install a packet writing software.Which is some different than Vista or XP in version.
Second it may be written for FAT32 only which would explain why it didn’t work in the XP either.
Is this also a game?

[quote=cholla;2046032]It could be they are data discs written on 98 & if I’m correct in 98 you have to install a packet writing software.Which is some different than Vista or XP in version.
Second it may be written for FAT32 only which would explain why it didn’t work in the XP either.
Is this also a game?[/quote]

Thanks. I was thinking along those lines also about FAT32 and NTSF. I never originally installed that VFW11E because I was using 98 and everything worked fine - then. To answer your other question, it’s not a game but actual instruction with the instructor physically doing the swing while talking about what he is doing. Like I said, the video works but not the sound. Right now, I just reinstalled the program and am in the process of doing what was in the post above you. I’ll post what I find out.

This is getting stranger all the time. Whoever wrote this program completely wanted to hide the files and I can’t find much except for a folder created by the setup. In that folder are just a few files and there appears to be nothing pointing to any sound or video files, just applications. I did some searching and found that it was written by First Relm Corporation in Cape Canaveral, FL. for The Golf Channel. I’ll so a search and see what I can find about them. I’ll contact them if they are still around - who knows?

[quote=chas521;2046013]Hi,
I was planning to see if any replies came to my mailbox instead of just sitting here online for a time. I do have a life and errands to run. There is NO need to take shots at me and they are definitely not warranted. I was planning to thank everyone publicly via this forum with my posts.
quote]

[B]Sorry I dont Usually act so Imbecilic :bow: I wasn`t Personally meaning you .:flower:[/B]
[B]diane[/B]

[quote=diane7;2046047][quote=chas521;2046013]Hi,
quote]

[B]Sorry I dont Usually act so Imbecilic :bow: I wasn`t Personally meaning you [/B]
[B]diane[/B][/quote]

Diane,
I wrote to you privately and all is good but I publicly wanted to say “thanks for the apology.”

[QUOTE=chas521;2046041]
First Relm Corporation in Cape Canaveral, FL. for The Golf Channel. I’ll so a search and see what I can find about them. I’ll contact them if they are still around - who knows?[/QUOTE]
Probably a good idea.
The applications are .exe files correct?
I think the problem is they will only execute corretly in FAT32 .Since they don’t execute correctly for you in NTFS.That’s a good indication of this.
Do you still have access to a 98 computer?
If you do & could install the CD’s on it possibly there would be something you could copy.I’m not sure about that but maybe.

[quote=cholla;2046075]Probably a good idea.
The applications are .exe files correct?
I think the problem is they will only execute corretly in FAT32 .Since they don’t execute correctly for you in NTFS.That’s a good indication of this.
Do you still have access to a 98 computer?
If you do & could install the CD’s on it possibly there would be something you could copy.I’m not sure about that but maybe.[/quote]

Thanks again for the reply. There is a Relm Corporation in FL but not in Cape Canaveral and they appear to have a different business but like I said, who knows? I sent them an email and I’ll see what happens. I also found an email address on an insert for the CD instructional set. I sent out an email asking if there is a patch for Vista - again, who knows?