Can I disable Smartburn?

Got a 24102b :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The writer is great - can’t fault it in any way.

Just one small query:

When I’m writing to some cheap CDs, they have no information giving their maximum write speed - so it writes at 24x. This doesn’t cause a problem at all. When I use expensive, high quality branded CDs that only say 16x, my burner slows down for them. I’m pretty sure this is unnecessary, but I can’t figure out how to stop it doing this.

Any suggestions?

sure u can!!

click in the nero menu recorder=>choose recorder=>options=> disable smart-burn voila!! :wink:

That’s BURN-Proof. I want to be able to write faster, not prevent buffer underruns.

Before every burn the CD-RW performs an autocalibration on the CD to test the max speed at wich it can burn !

If it can’t burn faster than 16x on the expensive brand then it can’t burn faster than 16x !
If it were to burn faster … errors would occur !
and btw burning at 16x is …fast enough … even when it burn with 24x it starts to burn with 16x on the inner parts of the CD and then picks up speed as it moves outwards on the CD !

Originally posted by Kosh
[B]Before every burn the CD-RW performs an autocalibration on the CD to test the max speed at wich it can burn !

If it can’t burn faster than 16x on the expensive brand then it can’t burn faster than 16x !
If it were to burn faster … errors would occur !
and btw burning at 16x is …fast enough … even when it burn with 24x it starts to burn with 16x on the inner parts of the CD and then picks up speed as it moves outwards on the CD ! [/B]

This is correct. The first 6 minutes are burned at 16x. Then it picks up speed and goes to 24x. Because of this way of burning (Zone-CLV it’s called I believe…could be wrong here…) the burners average speed is about 22x instead of true 24x…

Well actually it averages 23.75x, to quote the manual. Anyhow, 16x is NOT fast enough (sulk). Im quite convinced that these discs I have would take 24x. I want to know how to disable it.