Can I convert low quality MP3's to burnable quality?

vbimport

Hi,

I’ve got a lot of mp3s that I think were recorded straight from the radio into pretty low quality ranging from 16 kb/s 16khz to 256kb/s 44khz. I’m using a freeware CD burner called ‘EXPstudio’s CD Burner’ or somethin like that, when I try and add a file to be burned it says ‘cannot add blahblahblah.mp3 because its audio quality is less than 44.1k’.

So my question is this, is there any way I can covert those mp3s to a burnable state? I realise I can’t increase the actual audio quality but is there some way I can make it seem as if I have? Or something?

Obviously I’m a huge newbie at this sort of thing so please be gentle :slight_smile:

Thanks.

edit: I did look at the forum titles but I think on reflection this almost certainly belongs in the newbie forum. Sorry.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

It’ll be at home here in the Audio forum, I think, so I’ve moved it :wink:

Edit: I know raising the bitrate is possible with some softwares (a player I use called QCD [Quintessential Player] will do it), but I don’t think it’s gonna do much for the listening quality as you say.

Hopefully some of our audiophiles here will have more info for you. :slight_smile:

Try Super

You might also try a different burning program like Burnnn (sp?) or Nero. They have better tolerance for input files. If you want to ‘sweeten’ them you can use Audacity to open them and then export them as 44.1 KHz MP3. You can also remove noise (hiss, hum, etc.) in Audacity.

I’m thinking Burrrn as well. It’s available here.

As Olyteddy said, [B]Audacity[/B] pumps such files up nicely, and then you can do anything you like with them. I’ve attached an example…a 2 second 16kbps clip and the same clip after Audacity converted it to 128kbps.

Betcha can’t hear the difference! :stuck_out_tongue:

Deep Trouble MP3 16kbps.zip (5.61 KB)

Deep Trouble MP3 128kbps.zip (27.6 KB)

First of all thanks for all the replies so far :slight_smile: I had pretty bad flu for a few days so I’ve only just got round to checking in here.

I’m still having a few problems unfortunately. I tried using Burrrn to burn the CD but it wouldn’t let me drop the low quality files into the playlist, i checked that it does work with good quality mp3s so I assume it’s the same problem as with the burning software I was using before.

I’ve installed audacity and I’m trying to use it to make the mp3s burnable but without much success so far. Here’s what I’m doing:

dragging one of the files into audacity, it seems to load ok.

To the left of the waveform for this example track it says: Mono, 24000Hz 32-bit float.

I’m then left clicking the file name above this information and going to the set rate option, changing the rate to 44,100Hz.

Doing this seems to make the track play twice as fast, I guess because there just isn’t enough data there to fill up that sample rate?

I selected the whole track and changed the speed to -50% so that it was roughly the same length as the original. Then I extracted it to MP3.

The finished product is an mp3 that winamp seems to register as being at 44Khz but that still won’t go into the playlist of the burning software. Hopefully I’m doing something really obviously wrong that you guys can point out to me.

I borrowed you 16kb one deanimator .I converted it with Super.I converted it to 48000Hz but could have went with 44.1.Then 256 bitrate.Uncompressed size is 93kb hope that’s big enough.
Here’s the zip file"

Deep Trouble MP3 16kbps.mp3.zip (80.1 KB)

What’s this ‘super’ thing you guys are mentioning? Where can I get it, is it free and how does it work? :smiley:

[QUOTE=Makesift;2039912]What’s this ‘super’ thing you guys are mentioning? Where can I get it, is it free and how does it work? :D[/QUOTE]

First hit in Google for me: http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html :wink:

FWIW, I loaded a mono 22050Hz mp3 in two burning apps I had handy and they burned an Audio CD (16-bit 44100Hz stereo) from it without questions (That’s Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 and Sonic RecordNow DX 4.61).

[QUOTE=Cressida;2039948]First hit in Google for me: http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html :wink:
FWIW, I loaded a mono 22050Hz mp3 in two burning apps I had handy and they burned an Audio CD (16-bit 44100Hz stereo) from it without questions (That’s Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 and Sonic RecordNow DX 4.61).[/QUOTE]
I guess can’t see the forest for the trees is right sometimes.I was working to get the files large enough for Makesift’s "EXPstudio’s CD Burner’ to burn his files.I never thought of just using another burner to see if it would burn the smaller files.

[QUOTE=cholla;2039958]I guess can’t see the forest for the trees is right sometimes.I was working to get the files large enough for Makesift’s "EXPstudio’s CD Burner’ to burn his files.I never thought of just using another burner to see if it would burn the smaller files.[/QUOTE]

And don’t have Burrrn installed anywhere, so I haven’t tried that. But I’m sure there’s a solution for Makesift, one way or another :).

Following Cressida’s suggestion to try another burner I used this one:
Ultimate CD/DVD Burner 3.0 it’s freeware
http://ultimate-cddvd-burner.mispbo-technologies.blueprograms.com/
I convertes a couple of .mp3’s I had down to 16Hz 16kbps mono.
This burner was able to load them build an .iso then burn that to a CD RW.
I think that is the lowest Makesift said he had.So I think this will get what you want burned.
Still you can up the quality some with Super if you want too.
Burrrn wouldn’t load any that small neither would my other burner.

The problem is they are 24000Hz sample rate, which is not a simple 2x or 4x conversion to 44100Hz for CD audio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoX - SoX is one that comes to mind as being known for good sample rate conversion.
http://leute.server.de/wilde/resample.html - It has 3 possible sample rate conversion methods, with polyphase coming out as the best.

http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/quality.html - and another - Secret rabbit Code / libsamplerate - this may be the one SUPER is using.

Also, unless saving space is essential, I would avoid re-encoding to MP3 after resampling, it may not throw away much more than the original low bitrate/sample rate did, but if you can keep it uncompressed between conversion and burning, every little helps.

I was able to burn the small .mp3 that’s in the zip file all by itself to a
DVD +RW.This was just to test to see if it could be done.
Makeshift I think you will find it as small as any of yours because I had to cut the song down to a 1/3 to upload it here.
So since Ultimate CD/DVD Burner 3.0 was able to do that I think it will meet your needs & you won’t have to convert anything.Unless you want to see if a converter can improve the quality a little.It usually can as long as you don’t go too far.

13 - Cheap Sunglasses.zip (162 KB)