Can I burn double layer cd's?

Hi I want to know if I can burn double layers cd’s this is my CD-ROM Drive:
HL-DT-ST DVD+/-RW GWA4164B

I have also download a program to see more information about my pc and it said this about double layers:

DVD+R DL Reading : Yes
DVD+R DL Writing : Yes
Writing DVD+R DL : 4x

But I saw that verbatim cd’s need 8x speed
I want verbatim cd’s with 8,5gb are there double layers verbatim cd’s with 8,5gb with 4x speed? or can I just take the normal cd’s with 8x speed?

Hi and welcome Davidoffo.
There are no double layer cd’s only dvd’s, and your drive will burn +R dual layer media at 4x max, i dont know if your drive can handle those new 8x media, so you have three options here.

1.Get the media and drive them (not suggested).
2.Get some 2.4x verbatim (highly suggested)
3.Look at the here to find the latest firmware for your drive.

Thanks for you fast reply :slight_smile: and are there verbatim double layer (dvd’s) sorry that I said cd’s ^^ with 2.4x speed and with 8,5 gb?

I guess that some 2.4x dual layer verbatim are out there, but is getting harder to find them.

hmm ok :frowning: thanks for your help. I try to find it in some shops but its not easy to find…

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130013

thanks but I live in Holland and I dont think they are shipping it to there.

[QUOTE=Davidoffo;2240110]Hi I want to know if I can burn double layers cd’s this is my CD-ROM Drive:
HL-DT-ST DVD+/-RW GWA4164B

But I saw that verbatim cd’s need 8x speed
I want verbatim cd’s with 8,5gb are there double layers verbatim cd’s with 8,5gb with 4x speed? or can I just take the normal cd’s with 8x speed?[/QUOTE]

“double layer CD’s” doesnt exist, only Double layer DVDs.
The GWA 4164 is an OEM version of the LG 4164 DVD burner.

Try to get some Verbatim DL 2.4x.

I heard that you can buy double layer dvd’s 8x and chance the burn speed to 2.4x

Yes, If the discs are supported by the firmware, but i still think that the best solution is to find some 2.4x verbatim media.