Can I burn cd-rw in any speed?

Hi!

Most of the users with cdr(w) burners know, that all the discs have a locked max. speed (it can be x32 or x48 for cdr’s or x4, x10, x12 for cd-rw’s).

My question is if it possible to override the burn speed lock and burn cdr’s or rewritables in amy speed? (with the hardware (burner) limit of course)
f.e. Can I burn cd-rw that has a x4 limit at x24 limit with my burner (samsung rw 52)?

CD-RW discs cannot be burned faster than their rated speed, although there are some small exceptions like burning 10x CD-RW media at 12x. But, for instance, it’s not possible to burn 12x CD-RW media at 24x and vice versa. CD-RW discs are available in different types: Normal (4x), HighSpeed (10x-12x), UltraSpeed (24x-32x).

When it comes to recording CD-R’s these can be burned at higher speeds than they’re certified for. Some burners have quality controls that can be disabled to force higher recording speeds. E.g. for some Plextor drives PoweRec can be disabled so that you can select the highest recording speed. Note though that using a recording speed that is too high can result in an unreable disc.

Ps. Welcome to the forum!

Thnx for the knowledge.
But I think that still there should be some patch (or program) after all, that forces burning at a desired speed, despite the disc limitation/prevention.

Thinking “that still there should be some patch (or program) after all” doesn’t make it true :wink:

Like GF said, some burners can do it and some burning software can turn off the speed limit. The problem is that if, say, Blindwrite gave you the option to burn from 1x-52x on a CD-RW, you are still limited by the writing speed-steps built into the burner’s FW and then, when you try and burn a 2x at 12x and it coasters, they don’t want your complaint!

You can try if your drive lets you bypass the speed with Feurio CD-Writer -> Info -> Settings:

[i]"- Ignore ATIP information even for CD-RWs

If this switch is set, Feurio!® will ignore the ATIP information even if it´s a CD-RW (rewritable CD).
Ignoring the ATIP information of CD-RWs is not useful, because all CD-Writers known to us usually analyse the ATIP information of CD-RWs and forbid writing the CD-RW with different speeds."[/i]

As G@M3FR3@K and FutureProof already told you, CD-WRs can’t normally be burned at non specified speeds.
Anyway, it would be nonsense to do that: burning quality would be “risky”.

Originally posted by minix

“- Ignore ATIP information even for CD-RWs”

Here’s what happens despite ‘Ignore ATIP-info even for CD-RW’ is checked.

Valid for the 4x and 12x CD-RW media respectively :

REMARK: “OLD” CD-RW - MAXIMUM SPEED 4 TIMES!

You have inserted an “old” CD-RW into the CD-writer “[0, 0, 0] (L) LITE-ON - LTR-52246S”.
This CD can be written at with at maximum 4 times (instead of 24 times).
The maximum speed (24 times) can only be reached, when you’re using so-called “High-Speed-CD-RWs” (labeled with 4x-10x).
These “High-Speed-CD-RWs” are produced physically different - so it is NOT possible, to burn “old” CD-RWs with higher speeds (resp. if it would be possible, the burned CD wouldn’t be able to be read).

So the speed-selection-list has been modified by Feurio!, i.e. you can only select a speed, that is supported by this “old” CD-RW (i.e. at maximum 4 times) - as soon as you insert a “High-Speed-CD-RW” you’ll be able to select the maximum speed of 24 times!

REMARK: THE WRITER HAS REDUCED THE MAXIMUM SPEED!

The CD-writer “[0, 0, 0] (L) LITE-ON - LTR-52246S” can normally write Rewritable CDs (CD-RWs) with up to 24 times.
But after analysing the inserted blank, the writer has reduced the speed to 12 times.
So Feurio! has modified the speed-selection-list, so that you can only select a speed, that the writer supports with the inserted blank.

This is a process, that is controlled INTERNALLY by the writer - Feurio! can’t change this.
Feurio! just asks the writer: “Which speed do you support at maximum with the inserted blank?”, and the writer reported:“12 times”.
Even if Feurio! would let you select a higher speed (24 times), this would be useless, since the writer nevertheless would reduce the speed internally and would burn only with 12 times.

Since this process is as said controlled INTERNALLY by the writer we also cannot say, why the writer has reduced the speed - most probably the writer has analysed the inserted blank and has decided (with an internal table or due to some parameters stored on the blank), that for this blank only a speed of 12 times is possible.
If you want to know details, why the writer has reduced the speed for this type of blank, you should contact the vendor of your writer - only the vendor can tell you the detailed reasons for this.

In most cases this problem can be resolved by using blanks, that are certificated for the speed you want to use.
In addition, also an update of the firmware of the writer can also help in this case.

[B]"…writer nevertheless would reduce the speed internally and would burn only with 12 times

…that for this blank only a speed of 12 times is possible.
[/B]

So, you cannot jump over your head anyway ! :smiley: