Can I burn AVI videos directly to +DL Sony disc w/out converting

Is there free software that will burn AVI(MPEG-4) video files to a dual layer dvd without converting (already converted files from.flv to .avi.

I do have a dvd player that supports divx videos.

Because I have over 100+ video clips, conterting to .vob files takes way too much space and way too long.

Tried burning a few via .vob using CloneDVD2 which worked fine but Clone does not read .avi videos.

Next tried the suggested ImgBurn but wants to create then burn .iso image but I don’t know howand Burn My Files v3.5 as a data disc but only got audio with some kind of a generic water splash stationary background instead of videos data files but it wants to convert to vob or .iso first. Then told to burn/write using ImgBurn by selecting image to dvd, then selected .avi files to add but pop-up read as invalid/unsupported image file format. I don’t understand which method to choosing: writing as an image data file or writing as a video file.

Been searched net for a couple of days looking for something like this that also supports burning +DL Sony discs but all want to convert first and am getting frustrated.

If someone who understands my inquiry, could you please sent me step-by-step instructions including burning to a +DL disc and proper software to use.

Thanks

-Gina

Hmm. Using Imgburn just choose write files/folders to disk. There is no conversion necessary. Are you certain that your source files play correctly before you burn them to disk?

You can also use CDBurnerXP and just burn as a data disc. If you want to watch the clips on your cpu Media CD is a really nice program that creates an autorun menu.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2240351]Hmm. Using Imgburn just choose write files/folders to disk. There is no conversion necessary. Are you certain that your source files play correctly before you burn them to disk?[/QUOTE]
I’ve burned many DATA discs for my Divx player with ImgBurn.

Here’s a pretty simple guide.

http://ask-leo.com/imgburn_free_cddvd_burning_tool.html

Do note I wouldn’t use DL discs, they can be problematic in the burning [B]and [/B]the playing stage, and they are much more expensive that 2 SL discs.

Tried everyone’s suggestions but still not working and keep getting same error message no matter what I do, so below is all the details and error pop-ups using ImgBurn:

First, when burning .avi using DL+R disc everything seemed to be working and burning fine but after it was 97% complete an error message popped up stating "I/O Error along with #'s & other stuff I do not understand including “Reason/Interpretation: Invalid Field in CDB”. Behind this is another message stating “Failed to Reserve Tract.”
(*When using single layer disc it immediately gives these error messages without attempting to burn at all)

Now here is info/settings selected:

First I start with selecting “Write folders/files to DVD”.
Next add the folder containing 211 .avi music video files.
Check "verify"
Pop-up reads "You’ve selected 1 folder! Does this folder represent the root for the image content directory? (Otherwise this folder will be visible in the root directory of the image) I’ve tried clicking “yes” then “no” ending with same errors. Even tried opening this folder and dragging the folder’s individual files to window to burn…still no difference.
Also a “Confirm volume label or it will do it for me” pops up. I have clicked “yes” then “no”…same errors.
Other settings include:
Under options tab—
File System: ISO9660+UDF
UDF Revision: 1.02
Recurse Subdirectories is checked.

Under information tab for the 4.3 GB disc (obviously DL disc changes these)—

of files: 211

of folders: 0

Total file size: 9,360,994,297 bytes
Total file sectors: 4,570,903
Image size: 9,362,243,584 bytes
Image sectors: 4,571,408
Free space: -4,656,168,960 bytes
Bar shows 199% (with DL disc- 110%) and calculator “auto” is checked.
And I click continue anyway with burning even though not all files will fit.

(Also tried at several different speeds fron 2X - 16X. My external device is new capable of writing at 22-24X and works excellent.)
All video files have been checked and play flawlessly using Real Player and VLC player.

Finally, I was able to burn the 211 files by using Burn MY Files software and it worked with the +R DL media. Disc played fine on computer; Real Media, Windows Media Player, DivX Player, etc…but will still only play the audio on home DivX player. Tried disc in vehicle’s DivX player and this time it at least instead of getting a “Disc Error” from previous disc, it appeared to “blink” through each file but kept getting a “Unsupported File” message for each one. So…tried to create ISO image via ImgBurn and got 100% successful. But when I tried to write the image file to disc , once again, same errors as before even when trying the -R single disc.

Don’t really know what I’m doing and don’t understand what much of the above info means which is why I have detailed as much info as possible in hopes of someone pinpointing the exact problem and how to correct it plus media’s too expensive to keep doing the the trial and error bit.

THANKS to All so far who have helped!

Gina

.but will still only play the audio [B]on home DivX player[/B]. Tried disc in vehicle’s DivX player and this time it at least instead of getting a “Disc Error” from previous disc, it appeared to “blink” through each file but kept getting a “Unsupported File” message for each one

What’s the model of your player? Have you ever had success playing an AVI on it?

Yes, about 3 months ago I was able to play a complete AVI movie but it was already in .AVI format when I downloaded/burned it…I did not have to first convert it like I had to for these files.

A few of these are music videos from my Itunes which I guess were mp4’s. The video recorder I used automatically saved them as MPEG-2 of .flv files to my hard drive. Then I converted these from .FLV to ".AVI(MPEG-4)- High Quality (800 Kbps.) using Replay Converter. These files now contain the .AVI extension which I thought means they are DivX compatible. Is there a different .ext that is better for DixX players??? Again, my Kenwood player will now at least acknowlege there are folders/files on disc by displaying the folder and file icons (also displays the “0:00” counter and track/file info fields but are all left blank, i.e. artist, song title, etc… the 0:00 on the screen but flashes “Unsupported File” as it scans each one file which seems an improvement from the from a previous disc when I only got a “Disc Error” with nothing else displayed. Converted a few of these to .VOB like I do with movies using CloneDVD2 and played great but are too large and would take up too many dvd’s unless there is a way to compress them as small as AVI files.

The home player is a Phillips DVP3960/37
The vehicle is an after market install - Kenwood DNX-7120 (including region free). Both are DivX certified with logo on each player.

Thanks

Gina

It could be the program that you’re using to convert. What i would do is get Gspot and compare an avi that plays and one that doesn’t. If there is something different try a different program to convert your files. It could be the codec used or the audio quality. What makes believe this is i’ve read up a little on AVI ReComp because i want to do the same thing as you and i just want to make sure all of my avis are compatible.

I’d like to see you burning DL media “from 2-16x” …