Can I backup my ps2 games?

if so would it work without any ps2 mod chip?!

no, no cd writer can copy a PS2 game unless ya PS2 is chipped, some PS2 games are in DVD Format so DVD Writer is needed, but still u need a modchip

Trunks

To go on with the question of backup PS2 games, I would like to know if except the use of a modchip, all games are copyable with a dvd writer .

Also does a PSX backup work with a PS2 and a modchip ?

Thanks

can somone explain why its not possible to copy cds & play them without mod chip?

see here
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48477

Originally posted by hipt
can somone explain why its not possible to copy cds & play them without mod chip?

Its complicated, put simply, stuff on the original CD cannot be copied accross to the CDR or DVD-R. Plenty of people are working on solutions, methods etc etc.

Yes, all games can be backed up via a DVD - R/RW burner.
BUT, some modchips dont play EA games without using other illegal means.

Messiah mod chip is regarded as the best.

I’m trying to back up my son’s PS2 games before he trashes them. I have a Pioneer A05 and I’ve tried the latest Nero with Verbatim, Pioneer and generic media. Absolutely no success. What software can I use to back up his PS2 games? At 3 - 5 dollars an attempt, it’s getting pretty expensive to experiment.
TIA

I believe that if you don’t want to chip your PS2 you can get a boot disc. I know they had them for PSX so I assume they have them for PS2. All it is is a disc that boots the system to get past the checks made on the disc, then you switch the boot disc with the backup, and play. This requires a little more than a modchip but you don’t have to install it or void your warranty or anything.

Boot disks are urban legends.
There is no such thing.

The closest thing to this is the “Swap disk Method”…where you boot the PS2 with an original, then using a crude peice of wire you eject CD, and instert your copy.

You will more then likely kill the PS2 quicker with that method than with a modchip.

Originally posted by Huzzy
Boot disks are urban legends.
There is no such thing.

You are worng, they do exsist… right here these are flip top covers for the PS2 to use with the bootdisks but they do the combo sale

discussed in this
forum. i think u have to register

Trunks

Is it possible to play back-up’ed DVD PS2 games without flip-lids or mod chips? There must be a way!

sure sparky, thats why they made modchips, fliptop covers and bootdisks, otherwise u have an unmodified machine

Trunks

I should have explained my situation a little better. I have an A05 DVD burner. I’m really looking for a software solution to backup my son’s games before they’re destroyed. I want to give him $4-$5 disks and store the originals.

originally posted by Trunks

You are worng, they do exsist… right here these are flip top covers for the PS2 to use with the bootdisks but they do the combo sale

discussed in this
forum. i think u have to register

no you are wrong there is no such thing as a psx/ps2 boot disk! those flip top covers are for doing the disk swap method where you start to boot of an original ps2 game then swap it over to the copied game

Those flip things are as Slayerking says…a diskswap method that uses an original disk to boot.

The “boot Disk” is ANY original game for the PS2.

There is NO SUCH thing as a boot disk without using the swap trick. Try a discussion with Spath, Alexnoe or the likes in the Technical Forum…i guarrentee you will learn something.

Do use good brand media when making backups you may make the DVD laser struggle with crappy media.
As for bootdisc’s Huzzy is right they only work for Originals such as the Memory Manager disc for booting up the Datel 16meg Mem Card it will not read a burn because it doubles the check to see if the cd is a writeable media.