Can I back up off my iPod?

vbimport

Well my music hard drive decided to die on me and took with it all my songs, stupid me for not backing them up.

They are all on my iPod. I was wondering if there is away to get them back off that? If so how do I do it or is it just a case of sucking it up and re-ripping the lot again?

I did search and this seemed to be the closest to my problem: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f57/help-i-erased-all-my-songs-my-computer-142624/
Where nuggetreggae said:

do you mead ipod? if so, copy the 50 “F” folders to your HDD start Itunes and add all the files… It will arrange them back into artist folders again

How would I do this? I have connected my iPod but can’t seem to find the “F” folders. It is most probably something quite simple but I’m not seeing it as I never thought I would have to do this.

I cannot adress your direct question, but I can offer some advise
on backing up for “next time”, as it is SURE to happen again.

When you buy a replacement hard drive buy TWO (preferably three)
identical drives, they don’t have to be the biggest, but they need to
be big enough (each) to hold all your files.

Buy a “raid” controller, this allows two drives to be
"identical twins" protecting you against one of them
failing.

However drives that are installed (and spinning)
will ALL fail… eventually…

Which is why I suggest THREE drives, copy everything to the
three identical drives and store atleast one of the drives
(with your critical data(mp3s)) disconnected from your
computer.

Failing doing that buy a DVD burner drive and back up your
mp3’s to DVD+R discs. Blanks are cheap, back everything up
about once a month

I tend to aquire 8-10 “new” on albums every month
NOTE: New in quotes because I’m still working on the
systematic replacement of my 70’s and 80’s Vinyl, there
are really only 3-4 really NEW albums every month.

I have all* my original CD’s, so all my “backing up” does
is save me the effort (and monumental aggrevation) of
ripping and compressing everything again…

*I’m currently searching for my lone original copy of
"Cracked Rear View" by Hootie and the Blowfish, but
I’m not searching real hard because I can snag another
copy off half.com or Amazon for ~$4 shipped.

I haven’t gotten an ipod yet, partly because I really want
a laptop first…

I’m slowly being dragged (screaming and kicking) into the new
century I’ve only actually had a CD stereo in my vehicle since
february and have already upgraded my CD changer to one
that will play mp3cd’s…

Before that I only actually used mp3’s to play off my computer
(and into my home stereo) to reduce “handling wear” on my CD’s

AD

I normally practise double redundancy back up, storing on two different media keeping one with me and one stored elsewhere as well as the hard drive itself.

Unfortunately this is my newest drive which I bought specifically for music, so I didn’t back up, I was about, this weekend, to do a back up cycle, but the drive died before I got to it.

I am just hoping there is a way I can get them off my iPod if not I am going to have to suck it up and get to work ripping it all again. Not something I am looking forward to but can be done if there is no way.

Simply connect your ipod to another pc with itunes, disable sync, and copy your music back to the libary. use a usb disk or cd or dvd to back up!
:clap:

[QUOTE=djplexi;2163289]Simply connect your ipod to another pc with itunes, disable sync, and copy your music back to the libary. use a usb disk or cd or dvd to back up!
:clap:[/QUOTE]

Is it really that simple? I was told that wasn’t possible and I am not that hot on iPods all I know is mine works and I walk along happily listening to my very eclectic play list while shopping :D.

If it is then I can be happy that I don’t have to re-rip a large collection.

[QUOTE=djplexi;2163289]Simply connect your ipod to another pc with itunes, disable sync, and copy your music back to the libary. use a usb disk or cd or dvd to back up!
:clap:[/QUOTE]

I don’t think so, if u plug it into a computer that is not the original library’s source that all your music will be erased. I’ve tested a few programs and found ipod to computer transfer can help to backup all the things on the ipod to the computer.
You may try it, or you can google for a better one.