Can fw update lead to OS instability?

After (I don’t mean because of) LG8480B firmware flashing I notice an overall system instability, frequent freezes etc.
Could it be a result of the firmware flashing, especially if I flashed 8480B with 8481B fw. By the way, I have no problem with the LG drive itself, it works fine.
Any suggestions?
Thx

WS

A firmware update is unlikely to cause system instability. Maybe it’s time for a format and re-install.

Does this “instability” occur while you have a disc in the drive or are otherwise involving the dirve, or does it occur any time?

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Does this “instability” occur while you have a disc in the drive or are otherwise involving the dirve, or does it occur any time?

I don’t beleve that this instability has smth to do with my new fw, but besides these freezes (mostly, but not exclusively related to applications using overley mode) I constantly have this error in the system log:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.
or
A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.
I don’t know if it is the reason.
Thx
WS

PS it arrives even with the system restored from a stable ghost image.

parity errors are normally related to memory problems, but sometimes it can be hardware conflicts. Try running chkdisk or Norton if you have it, and try focusing on the boot sector. Another simple test is to switch the IDE controllers used by your two drives. Just swap the connections. If the problem now is identified with your “C” drive the controller probably is at fault. But then again…Intermittant issues are always elusive but assuming the hard drive is working correctly we can narrow it down to the EIDE cable or the motherboard. If you’re able (please keep in mind opening the case may void your warrenty), try using another EIDE cable to connect the motherboard and hard drive if one is available. If you have another hard drive available, connect it as a slave on the secondary controller and see if the problem also occurs on the secondary drive. the parity error on “\Device\Ide\IdePort0” refers to the IDE controller 0 on the motherboard. I hope this can give you a little more to work with.

You wouldn’t by chance also be using an LG dvdrom would you?

Worth! I have LG CDRW 8480B and LG DVD 8160B on my secon IDE channel.
BTW, making LG DVD PIO only didn’t work for me.
WS

Read this link
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_harddrive&message.id=4047&highlight=
I know it is from Dell computers, but it might help

Thank you, but I saw this thread already, and it does not work for me :frowning:

I think that it is my mobo hdd controller that is going to die, I’ll have to change my mobo…

WS