Can Fridge cause Audio CD burn interference? (clicks, etc)

I notice that when the fridge starts, there is a “pop” sound in my speakers.

I was wondering if, while burning an audiocd, if the fridge starting could cause an audio glitch?

I’d love a technical explanation in both cases(true or false).

Thank you

[QUOTE=holyspidoo;1985667]I notice that when the fridge starts, there is a “pop” sound in my speakers.

I was wondering if, while burning an audiocd, if the fridge starting could cause an audio glitch?

I’d love a technical explanation in both cases(true or false).

Thank you[/QUOTE]Welcome to CDF’s:

I’m sure it could happen. That’s why i use a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) for all my pc’s and peripherals.

It sounds like your fridge or PC is not grounded.

Both are grounded, but even though they are, I often notice these things (and not just at my house) when another big apparel starting does make a little noise in the computer speakers. I was wondering what was the technical explanation.

And yeah, I’ve got a UPS too, since power outages have screwed me big time before.

[QUOTE=holyspidoo;1985684]Both are grounded, but even though they are, I often notice these things (and not just at my house) when another big apparel starting does make a little noise in the computer speakers. I was wondering what was the technical explanation.

And yeah, I’ve got a UPS too, since power outages have screwed me big time before.[/QUOTE]Someone will stop by and give advice.

I flash my drives often and don’t want a dead drive from a power outage :wink:

Simply spoken, by powering the fridge up it sends an power pulse (stronger than needed) through the power installation, kinda interference.
Best is to use adaptors and devices that will “normalize” high power “spikes”.

Sorry, my englishis kinda limited in that case. I cannot explain it better.

In this case, the problem is the speakers themselves. They use a power adapter that is passing the interference from the AC line to the speakers. This will not affect anything on the PC. The speakers are powered, so they just amplify and play back the interference. They probably also pop or crackle when you turn them on or off.

Refrigerators are also a good source for radio frequency interference from the motors. This is also carried by the AC lines.

[QUOTE=holyspidoo;1985667]I notice that when the fridge starts, there is a “pop” sound in my speakers.
[/QUOTE]

That should be normal in US electricity installations. It can be explauned with the low voltage used in the US (only 110V) and the cables have often an inadequate diameter. If the compressor of the fridge starts it needs for a short moment a more energy than during the run of the compressor.

Most of the PC Speaker Systems are made very simple (and are cheap) and are not good enough protected again interferences from the power line. If your fridge starts and you hear music you hear the interference from the power line since you speaker power supply is not good enough stabilized (not enough capacities (tantal capacities and electrolytic capacitor)) were used to to straighten out the fluctuation of the voltage.

[QUOTE=holyspidoo;1985667]
[/QUOTE]

I don’t think that you will hear any noises on your burned CD if your fridge starts during your burning process. The computer power supplies are normally good designed and filter most fluctuations from the power line out. The reason is that the computer components like motherboard, CPU, memory,… needs very excact and very stable power with only very less variations in the voltage. If the variations are to high the system may crash (with or without bluescreen) or the system hangs or is instable in other ways. For this reason you’ll find a lot capacities on computer components since they filter out noises and glitches from the power.

Hope I could help a little?