Can dvdfab do this?

hi folks,sorry newbie here :o i have been using dvdfab for a couple of years now with perfect results every time inc dual layer,excellent software well worth the money :slight_smile:

however…i now have a 1TB NAS drive(buffalo linkstation live) and figured i could just put dvd images onto that rather than burning an actual disc?? i want to play the images back via my PS3 which reads the NAS perfectly with no pc being on.

now im not sure if dvdfab can do this for me?? i tried a disc earlier and it went to the nas in a folder no problem but the file was in 4 parts and no audio,the ps3 played each part without problem so i dont think its far from working??
can someone help me to get this working please :bow:
many thanks

What DVDFab mode/settings did you use for this?

hmmm not too sure,i havent changed any options from default,i used dvd-dvd main movie ripping the file to the nas then when it asked for blank media i just quit the program so the temp file was left on the nas…

[QUOTE=stew-b;2198063]hi folks,sorry newbie here :o i have been using dvdfab for a couple of years now with perfect results every time inc dual layer,excellent software well worth the money :slight_smile:

however…i now have a 1TB NAS drive(buffalo linkstation live) and figured i could just put dvd images onto that rather than burning an actual disc?? i want to play the images back via my PS3 which reads the NAS perfectly with no pc being on.

now im not sure if dvdfab can do this for me?? i tried a disc earlier and it went to the nas in a folder no problem but the file was in 4 parts and no audio,the ps3 played each part without problem so i dont think its far from working??
many thanks[/QUOTE]I think you need to use Mobile option, PS3 profile.

[QUOTE=Monkeycowboy;2198287]I think you need to use Mobile option, PS3 profile.[/QUOTE]

i hadnt noticed that option before :o have done a disc and indeed it works perfectly BUT… it took nearly 2 hours to do even at the lowest quality from 7.85gb to 960mb…
there must be a quicker way to do this! i didnt really want to loose any quality so will try another and set it to highest quality if i can work out how…also this one has copied over with subtitles that it wont let me turn off :sad:
i shall persevere…
thanks

I don’t need to do what you are doing so this is a guess from doing other conversion.
I think the lowest quality would take the most compression so would take the longest time to process.
Try ripping the 7.85 GB uncompressed & see if it is not much faster.

am trying that now but the biggest file it would let me do was around 4gb so will still compress it,i guess this is because it is converting it to an MP4 file the PS3 can use?
thanks
is there any other software available that may do the job easier/quicker for me?

I haven’t worked but very little with MP4 so I don’t know & I only have the free version of DVD Fab.It doesn’t do the mobile so I don’t know what it’s max size is for this.
signals is good with Fab so maybe he will have more answers.
I would take a guess & say that is a setting for singal layer DVD disc.
So the rip should be 4.36 GB. I know the free DVDFab only does the full size rip for duel layer .So see if you can set DVDFab to do the full rip .On mine it is 9GB quality setting on the first screen of DVDFab.
I have only used it for DVD to HD then to DVD .I use DVD Shrink to then compress the Full rip 9 GB to the 4.36 GB single layer.
On the paid Fab versions it will also do the compression so maybe you have it set for the single layer discs & it has already done the compression.

[QUOTE=stew-b;2198929]am trying that now but the biggest file it would let me do was around 4gb so will still compress it,i guess this is because it is converting it to an MP4 file the PS3 can use?
thanks
is there any other software available that may do the job easier/quicker for me?[/QUOTE]Fat32 drives are limited to 4GB file sizes. Unless this is a very long movie you reall should see the file size around 2GB.

in the conversation settings set the bit rate to 2048

On my older computer that is FAT32 The VIDEO_TS folder for a compressed movie is usually 4.36 GB but the largest .vob files are usually .99GB. It’s been a while but I think it has no problem creating a folder for an uncompressed movie at approx. 8GB but the largest .vob files still are the .99 GB.
My Vista NTFS does the same for VIDEO_TS folders.
Does MP4 just use 1 large file ?

Here are links to a couple of guides that may help.

I seems that MP4 is limited to a max file size of 4GB.
If the PS3 will only work with 1 large MP4 file to do what you want it to then:
You need to get DVDFab to compress it to 4GB 0r less if it will do that.The free version won’t.
I’m sure DVDShrink will if you leave out some extras.

[QUOTE=stew-b;2198063]hi folks,sorry newbie here :o i have been using dvdfab for a couple of years now with perfect results every time inc dual layer,excellent software well worth the money :slight_smile:

many thanks[/QUOTE]
First this is in the wrong forum, it needs to be moved to the mobile fourm.

In the Mobile option choose the PS3 profile. Don’t change anything just test it once to see what results you get and we can work from there.

ok i have completed a disc using the max size available and it gave me a 3.78gb file,everything works perfectly and i fixed the subtitle problem ny ticking the ‘show only forced subpicture’ option.the quality though in most parts is as good as the disc but the file is of racing cars and there is some distortion on fast moving shots.as the guide above says the max file size for mp4 is 4gb i guess this is as good as i can get it…my main problem though is it takes 4 hours per disc :frowning:
apologies if its in the wrong forum,this was not obvious from what i knew in the first post…

[QUOTE=stew-b;2199360]ok i have completed a disc using the max size available and it gave me a 3.78gb file,everything works perfectly and i fixed the subtitle problem ny ticking the ‘show only forced subpicture’ option.the quality though in most parts is as good as the disc but the file is of racing cars and there is some distortion on fast moving shots.as the guide above says the max file size for mp4 is 4gb i guess this is as good as i can get it…my main problem though is it takes 4 hours per disc :frowning:
apologies if its in the wrong forum,this was not obvious from what i knew in the first post…[/QUOTE]
check your DMA and make sure nothing else is running.

There are countless variables that effect ripping times. I have used just about every program out there (paid for most of them) and I can assure u this is the fastest out there. Make sure you are using the lates version of DVDfab.

What is your processor speed, how much memory. Also ripping to local disk might improve your speed, and you might try ripping to an ISO and doing HDD to HDD rip.

try using vob passthrough. if you want a smaller file use main movie to compress then run that through vob passthrough.