Can DVDFab convert my DVDs in MPEG?

I own a collection of “Caillou” DVDs for my todler and I tought that I can transfer my DVDs on the computer in a MPEG file (or some other format) so I can access them from the upstair TV using my DSM-520 Media player.

After going through the options I just cannot see how to read the DVD and record it in another format (not VOB).

Thanks for any help you can give me

The Platinum version of DVDFab can convert the files to many formats. The VOB Passthrough function produces a MPEG-2 .VOB file that you can rename to [B].mpg[/B] if your player accepts that. Other output formats available include MPEG-4 Xvid (as AVI) and H.264(as MP4) among others. You might look through the Tutorial for more information.

[quote=jackeric;1981333]I [B][U]own[/U][/B] a collection of “Caillou” DVDs for my todler and I tought that I can transfer my DVDs on the computer in a MPEG file (or some other format) so I can access them from the upstair TV using my DSM-520 Media player.

After going through the options I just cannot see how to read the DVD and record it in another format (not VOB).

Thanks for any help you can give me[/quote]

Thanks for your fast answer. Problem is that after looking thoroughly in the DVD to mobile settings section (customize), I see MP4, H264, WMV file conversions but no MPEG or AVI. (i have v. 4.05 registered).

My other problem is that when I click on, say, Generic, a list of all title and chapters appears in all languages and not in the order of playing but in descending order of playtime. So, my questions are :

1. How do I filter those titles only for a specific language
  2. How do I put them in the right order (as played on the DVD)
  3. How do I merge all those titles in one file instead of only copies of the original VOBs files to make a complete movie in a one step process

All those questions do not seem to be addressed in the tutorial.

Thanks

Click the Advanced Title Settings from the Generic setting, bottom of screen. There you can select different titles and chapters plus change the order.
After you click next, click configure. Use generic xvid mp3, this saves in avi format. You can make more changes such as size etc… Check with your manual on what res it can display. 624 x 352 range should be good to start with for wide screen. Maybe test it a few times by only selecting one chapter as doing a whole movie is going to take a while, like go away and check back in hour to see what percent is done. This really depends on what cpu and how fast your drive is. I find it is faster to move the vobs to the HD first then convert to avi. There is a setting for splitting the output. Sure some others can give you more details on it as I am still playing with this program.

Yep. The Archos profile in PVP is also AVI, with MP3 audio. There is also an Archos H.264 profile (MP4) with MP3; not sure if it is included in the install package. Sorry to leave you hanging; very busy with work today. If you want MPG, use VOB Passthrough, which is in Generic, but you have to use the left-hand (device) drop down to select it. After processing, just use windows to change the file suffix to .mpg. VOB Passthrough processes MUCH faster than any of the MPEG-4 conversions but the files are larger.

Thanks but I see AVI, H264/MP4 but no MPEG-2 ?

[QUOTE=jackeric;1981649]Thanks but I see AVI, H264/MP4 but no MPEG-2 ?[/QUOTE]

furthermore, the output is still in multiple files. Don’t we have an option to join all those files ?

BTW, the files are m4v instead of MP4. Trying to change the extension doesn’t work. Really, I’m lost here.

From my experiences with the Disaster Link DSM-320, I would use either the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy or the generic.avi.xvid.mp3 profiles set at 2 pass, bitrate around 1100.

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;1981891]From my experiences with the Disaster Link DSM-320, I would use either the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy or the generic.avi.xvid.mp3 profiles set at 2 pass, bitrate around 1100.[/QUOTE]

Well, they must have learned something because the unit works perfectly. I used 3000 as bitrate for H264 G5 and AVI 1 pass and both sample files (25 minutes) played without a hitch on the DSM-520. (btw, all this, while converting other DVD files on the PC)

My problems are elsewhere for now (see my last post) hopefully I will be able to address those.

[quote=jackeric;1981649]Thanks but I see AVI, H264/MP4 but no MPEG-2 ?[/quote]The VOB Passthrough is MPEG-2. You can set it to produce one file or split by size/chapters etc.

[QUOTE=signals;1981963]The VOB Passthrough is MPEG-2. You can set it to produce one file or split by size/chapters etc.[/QUOTE]

Ok, found it. Not easy. I renamed VOBs to MPGs and it run fine.

BUT, since there’s 3 main VOB on the DVD, it still produces 3 VOB files after passthrough even If I didi set it to no division. There’s no way to assemble all those VOBs in a same file ?

[quote=jackeric;1982294]Ok, found it. Not easy. I renamed VOBs to MPGs and it run fine.

BUT, since there’s 3 main VOB on the DVD, it still produces 3 VOB files after passthrough even If I didi set it to no division. There’s no way to assemble all those VOBs in a same file ?[/quote]Unless your operating system or HDD file system has limits on file size, VOB passthrough will produce one file if you select “No Split” on the Configure page. If you have more than one title selected, there will be a VOB for each title.

I have Vista ultimate with 2 x 500 Gb HDD so I don’t think that would be a problem. So there’s no way to join those VOBs in one single file I guess with DVD Fab.

I tried to join the mpg files in Premiere Element 4 and it’s stalling the system to a complete stop for about 30 minutes just to equalize and don’t what other prepost things they do on the files before beeing able to actually work on them, but this is another story.

Is there another way (i.e. freeware) to join the MPGs ?