Can DVD to iPod be lower than 200kbps?

Sorry if this is answered somewhere else, but I’ve searched and searched to no avail.

Basically, I want to know if the iPod has a minimum bitrate that it can read for video? (5.5G series)

If not, does DVDFab have the capability to encode an iPod movie below 200kbps? Because I can’t get it to do so. Every time I select lower, it happily carries on but the resulting file is 200kbps and twice as large.

I know this sounds like a ridiculous bitrate but I’ve been experimenting with cartoon dvds and am trying to see if it’s possible to squeeze the full series of a show onto the iPod with acceptable results. Being older cartoons, the bitrate just isn’t as big of an issue. So far, 27 minutes of video (single-pass) at what I thought was 100kbps (but was actually 200kbps) at the lowest possible resolution came out way better than I needed it, yet the file was obviously too large. I need to get it down to about 100kbps but I am having no luck.

Any suggestions?

As a fellow toon fan, I can tell you that reducing the frame rate with most animation (try 15-20 fps) looks OK and will reduce the file size. Can’t believe it would look very good, although I put some WB toons on my cellphone at about 200-250kbps and 15 fps that were fine.[quote=pbush77;2042527]Sorry if this is answered somewhere else, but I’ve searched and searched to no avail.

Basically, I want to know if the iPod has a minimum bitrate that it can read for video? (5.5G series)

If not, does DVDFab have the capability to encode an iPod movie below 200kbps? Because I can’t get it to do so. Every time I select lower, it happily carries on but the resulting file is 200kbps and twice as large.

I know this sounds like a ridiculous bitrate but I’ve been experimenting with cartoon dvds and am trying to see if it’s possible to squeeze the full series of a show onto the iPod with acceptable results. Being older cartoons, the bitrate just isn’t as big of an issue. So far, 27 minutes of video (single-pass) at what I thought was 100kbps (but was actually 200kbps) at the lowest possible resolution came out way better than I needed it, yet the file was obviously too large. I need to get it down to about 100kbps but I am having no luck.

Any suggestions?[/quote]