Can DvD Recorder Record High Def?

vbimport

I would like to upgrade to High Def Comcast Cable service but wait a few years before getting a High Def Recorder.

I would like to record the high def signal on my Liteon stand alone units. (5005 and 5045). Is this possible by using the “component” leads that come with the Comcast decoder unit? The tech service at Comcast can’t give me an answer but they do confirm they have the red, green, blue component connections.

Also==can anyone confirm that the digital signal “before” the cable box IS digital and my standard ntsc recording units cannot handle that digital signal==and of course that the r-g-b are analogue and can be “sampled” by the standalone dvd recorders? From what little I think I know, I can see reasons why this could or could not work. ((Rats!!))

What I’ve read has been contradictory with articles not “focusing” with precision on the nature of these various signal sources.

What I’d like to do is record for a few years at the 720 x 480 ((or maybe even at PAL settings?–why not?)) and get a nice set of home burned movies ready to play on my next high def tv. My standard dvd’s won’t be high def but I understand an upcoding dvd player approaches the quality of high def???

Thanks. /// bobbo.

From the quick look at those units (I couldn’t find a picture of the back of the 5045) neither seems to have the component (or DVI/HDMI) inputs which would be required to get anything higher than 480i into the units.

So I don’t think you’d have any luck recording a high definition signal on those recorders - on the positive side you should at least get a rock-solid standard definition picture downconverting from the Comcast box.

Mark

Omote===thanks!!=you made me look it up (on the web) and then look at my own machine. Sure enough, the component connection is “not labeled” and sits between the composite “in” connection and the composite out connection==easy to have the eyes glaze over and just “assume” as we wish. Google search shows the component connection is to output the signal only.

So—I have two choices from comcast–I can connect directly to the cable from the wall and the source would then be a digital signal which no analogue dvd recorder can use OR–and thats it isn’t it?? The Comcast digital box has a dvi connection which is also digital and a component out which is analogue but also incompatible with my ((and most)) dvd recorders? So–until I go all high def, I don’t think I could even get a rock solid standard definition picture from comcast?

Comcast first level is clueless and second level tech evidently is not allowed to say anything except “we will connect the digital box to any digital tv” and beyond that they never heard of a dvd recorder except the one they rent. Hmmm.

Still, this clears it up for me even if I have it wrong (smile!). Guess I’ll be getting that high def recorder sooner than I thought. Thanks again.

Sounds like you are having the a similar problem as I do with my Liteon recorders A100 and the 5115. I can’t get the higher channels to record even though the scan on the recorder went a little above 100 channels. I have been trying to get some answers on that. Looks like unless they make and we buy a dvd recorder that will go to the higher channels with the built in tv tuner we won’t be recording some things. A new firmware recently came out but so far I can’t find out what it does. I haven’t applied it yet as I go with the belief if it isn’t broke don’t fix it. I just had to clean the lens and it is working now on the lower channels so I am content for the time being.

No home dvd set top recorder can do HD video, they can do 480i and thats it.
IF we ever get set top Blu ray recorders someday here then you might be able to do it.
All your recorders are also analog only tuners so soon the only way they record anything is through the inputs, depending on whether your cable co is going to kill most of their analog channels like mine is, and they wont do OTA digital channels either.
If you truly want to capture HD cable you can put a HDTV card in your PC and makes sure it can do QAM cable channels that are in the clear, then it will be able to record the locals channels and whatever else they decide not to scramble for now. I can record all my locals in full HD through my card with up to 5.1 sound as well then I redo them to HD-DVD or AVCHD to regular dvd’s and play them on either HD player I have.
Most of the cable C0’s DVR boxes will not allow you to send the hd stuff or anything else outside so you can make disk later or save to other hard drive’s and that’s the way they try to keep it.
IF you want to try to just record the digital channels with your own recorder the best one right now is the Philips 3576 or Magnavox H2160 while some are still available. It has a 160 gig Hard drive, OTA and cable QAM digital tuners and will record anything that you can see with it though only in SD 480i. It will not show any of the HD channels in HD either but downconverts them then you can watch or record them as you like. Just no HD.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2267839]No home dvd set top recorder can do HD video,
IF you want to try to just record the digital channels with your own recorder the best one right now is the Philips 3576 or Magnavox H2160 while some are still available. It has a 160 gig Hard drive, OTA and cable QAM digital tuners and will record anything that you can see with it though only in SD 480i. It will not show any of the HD channels in HD either but downconverts them then you can watch or record them as you like. Just no HD.[/QUOTE]

Dartman, thanks for answering. I think I wasn’t clear. I don’t care about the HD but want to record channels which are digital that are above let’s say 80, like maybe 128 or something like that. My recorder the Liteons won’t do that. I hardly watch HD myself. At least it does record the lower channels thanks to the help I got on here.

Well I kinda covered all the possibilities anyways. I’d get one of those 2 machines then if you have the budget and can find one. I have the 3575 myself and we recently learned how to upgrade the Hard drive to anything up to a 500 gig and others have figured out how to add SATA and external IDE/SATA drives of about any style, 2.5 or 3.5.
If they are listed on wally worlds web site the maggy runs about 250 and the Philips runs 298. They both will tune any clear QAM cable channels up to 135 which is all the channels slots cable actually uses, they just rename and like that so the numbers are different.
If you want poke around AVS and check out this thread with more info then you’ll ever need about both units http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

[QUOTE=Dartman;2267907]Well I kinda covered all the possibilities anyways. I’d get one of those 2 machines then if you have the budget and can find one. I have the 3575 myself and we recently learned how to upgrade the Hard drive to anything up to a 500 gig and others have figured out how to add SATA and external IDE/SATA drives of about any style, 2.5 or 3.5.
If they are listed on wally worlds web site the maggy runs about 250 and the Philips runs 298. They both will tune any clear QAM cable channels up to 135 which is all the channels slots cable actually uses, they just rename and like that so the numbers are different.
If you want poke around AVS and check out this thread with more info then you’ll ever need about both units http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657[/QUOTE]

Great information thank you. I am retired and on a fixed income so won’t be able to get any recorder like that soon but will keep it in my files so if I am able will get one you mentioned. I will go to the link you posted and read about it. If it means getting into the guts and doing any electrical work then that is not possible for me. Thank you for educating me.

OK, then all you really can afford to do is get a signal out from your cable box into the DVD recorder you have I guess. I think it depends on the box and your cable companies mood but if you can at least get a signal into your machine from the Analog outs of the box you should be able to record it I’d think.
You’d just have to hook the cables from your cable box into the R/W/Y video in jacks of your recorder, pick the proper input on it’s remote, and press record when you find a show you want to keep and see what happens.
I’m pretty sure there are some threads about that sort of thing on AVS as well that can tell you what kind of box you have and what will and wont work to record the way you want to.