Can Cheap, unbranded, faulty & crap media Damage a Burner

vbimport

Can cheap, unbranded, faulty, crap media do "Damage" to a burner ???

Most of the times, the answer is no, it will not do any damage to your burner, but it will not keep your data for long.
HOWEVER, if you have a high-speed burner, say, a 40/48x burner (or any burner that starts writing at like 20x or even more), there have been reports (rare) of real bad media shattering under the high rotation speeds, either while being burnt or while being read back later, so I’d watch out for the cheaper stuff.

Happened in a few cases that cheap media have broken inside the drive when rotating at high speed.

Happened to a friend of me, he had to open the drive and clean out all the pieces but it never got very good again after that…

Well, My burner is dead. Before that I had used a couple of Cheap Unbranded Blanks media.

The details are here:

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=48334

It is a HP 9140i (9100b) 8x4x32x burner.

It is manufactured by LG in korea & the model is CED-8081B.

i read your post about how ya burner died. i was wondering what speed did you use for the majority of your burns?

Well, my driver is an 8x4x32x HP Burner 9140i (9100b) which is a rebadged LG CED-8081B burner.

Majority of the burns were done at 8x i.e. the max speed. Haven’t had any problem burning at max speed.

hey, OC-Freak, till now no media has broken inside the drive.

I used my burner with great care. I never used it to read CDs. Also, the blanks which I put inside the burner were cleaned thoroughly if they had any finger marks & so on.

Most of the times I used to get Medium Errors or Track Errors. I also encountered some track errors in clonecd which I had posted in http://www.cdfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45020

OC-Freak & other did you read my post regarding my DEAD burner at http://www.cdfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48334

Please help me:(

old 8x speed burners really shouldnt be used at max speed all the time cause technology wasnt very good back then and they would get worn out very quickly. if you had burned at 4x or 2x the writer would have lasted much longer. dont make the same mistake if you get a new burner.:wink:

Well I don’t think thats the reason for the laser getting dead.

If you can’t use whats stated on the box, then its of no use.

And, I have many friends who have 8x burners burning at full speed, & have burnt nearly 1000 CDs & still no problem to the burner.

I have used this burner with great care & have hardly burnt 200 CDs.

Well I used to have an ancient Acer 6206A burner (from '97-98) and used it for > 3 years burning at full speed (which was only 2x BTW).

So long as you don’t overdo it by -continuous- use it should be OK. Just give it a -little- rest between burns.

Well, I have never over used it.

Please let me know, How many CD-rs can I burn continuously, being on the safe side.

Safe Limit of continuous CD-Burning.

Originally posted by darshanjog
[B]Well, I have never over used it.

Please let me know, How many CD-rs can I burn continuously, being on the safe side.

Safe Limit of continuous CD-Burning. [/B]

Well i would only do about three in a row and thats not at max speed. you should wait a little bit before burning again because the drive might overheat or the fan might screw up. also you say that the drive should do the speed it says. if you have a poor quality writer, max speed might seem to work fine but cd players and playstations might get trouble reading the cdr.

Answer is “No”.

There are very few companies in the world that produce CD-R Media. Even “Brand” name media is not produced by that company.

Example: TDK is not made by TDK.
Example: TDK and Pengo Discs are made by the same company.

Here is a link to get a great little utility call “CD-R IDENTIFIER”

http://www.gum.de/cdrid/

Put your CD-R in a drive, run the utility, select the drive and read the information about the CD-R. (Manufacturer, Dye Used, etc.)

HP drives are recongnised as high quality drives here in India.

Mine is (WAS) a rebadged LG 8081B 8x4x32x burner.

Does doing Write TEST also heat a burner?

How much time should we wait after burning about 3 CD-Rs?

I’ve had good results with LGs at max speed on bad readers (PSX, DC), but on good media (Prodisc, SKC, Princo).
Write test heats up considerably less, but adds a little of heat too.
Do you use your case closed? I always stay with my case open so I can just touch the burner and see.

I guess it depends on a lot of factors, like environmental temperature and such… You might want to try touching the case (on the burner’s position) when it’s cold and just after burning a couple discs to see the heat difference, so you can know just about how much you can expect it to cool down.

The 8081b is the Other brands-OEM model, and I know not how good it is, but I’ve heard good things from the 8080b, it seems to be quite a reliable writer.

test writes are the biggest waste of time ive ever seen. ive done a write test before and it completed successfully. then i burnt for real and it stoped at 25%. write tests are a waste of time and they prove nothing.

I have noticed the burner getting very hot sometimes. The burnt CD is also hot & if you touch the front panel of the burner when the tray is closed, it is also hot.

I sometimes do a Simulation 3 times & then do real burning.

Originally posted by darshanjog
[B]I have noticed the burner getting very hot sometimes. The burnt CD is also hot & if you touch the front panel of the burner when the tray is closed, it is also hot.

I sometimes do a Simulation 3 times & then do real burning. [/B]

simulations waste time buddy. i never do them and i never have a problem either.:wink:

Even I didn’t do tests earlier.

My drive perfomed excellently for 8-9 months. No single coaster.

Then one day a CD came out half way through.

I started simulation after that.

Just buy high quality media for your own sake and for societys sake. everyone will be hapy then.