Can CD/DVD Burner damage manufactured CD's?

vbimport

As question says: Can CD/DVD Burner damage manufactured CD’s?

I always knew the answer was not, but today I had a problem reading a manufactured music CD, after “extracting” audio from my Lite-ON combo (using CloneCD at high speed), that made me think this as a posibility.

Sorry about where I putted the thread, but I could not found a better place.

Thank you.

The fact that it is a burner would not matter. The laser power is not strong enough to damage a pressed replica. If the transport mechanism is out of whack it could possibly be scratching your CDs when they are read. But this could be true of any type of drive.

Richman: How much would you like to bet on that?

The correct answer is yes, the exposure time to any laser (even a read one) over time will contribute to a succesive degradation of the metalised layer on a pressed disc.

A record laser, with its greater output, would require far less exposure to cause noticable degradation of the embossed pits. Some writers with very good optics and powerful lasers are capable of causing noticable corruption to the pit definition in a very short exposure time (to quantify that, I mean in just seconds).

FYI: I have several discs here taken out of some commerical music JukeBox style systems where the discs have been used on repeat-play (for telephone on-hold systems) where the read laser has deteriorated the disc to such an extent that it is unreadable.

Ok… I found that the problem I had when I originally posted this thread was I was handling with a “protected” CD; so, It never played correctly in that Drive (a Lite-On Combo).

I know it now because I went to the store to change the CD and the problem is still there in the same places; BUT, a stand alone CD-player plays this CD without any trouble.

In such case, ¿how could a CD-Burner make some damage to a manufactured CD?? ¿It is not suppose that its laser shoud not increase power if a non-recordable CD is in the drive?? Any way, it should be a fisically noticeable damage, ¿isn’t it?

When reading the recording laser should be the same as a normal reading laser. I mean how would the laser be more powerful, since it’s actually controlled by microchip and feed back from the laser.

Couldn’t that possibly be caused by heat coming from the spindle servo? So many times have I ejected CD that I feel heat from the CD and also coming from the machine itself. Quite a few machines do produce excessive heat and to so much extent that I’m not surprised if the disc is slightly melted.

Richman: How much would you like to bet on that?

I’ll bet nothing since I’m a PoorMan :wink:

But, I will not believe your claims until I see a paper published by the optical disc industry (or similar) that supports it. I believe that the average consumer will never need to worry about their drive damaging pressed discs simply by reading them.

Truman: As density/velocity is increased, a decent drive generally would also increase laser power.

As to the heat from the servos (more correctly, the main heat generator is from the spindle motor) I’d say no.

The discs that I mentioned in my previous post (from the jukebox) were on repeat play of tracks 3 through 7 and 11 through 15. Guess what, when analysing the disc structure, it was plainly visible that the degradation was in the same bands where the readout occured.

Ergo: The reading laser (and the heat attributed to it) were responsible for the degradation of the pit/land structure.

I can’t be assed to write one. It isn’t in my interest. :wink:

A ‘decent’ drive with good optics and a powerful laser would never use enough laser power during read back to be of concern. I still say the average consumer has nothing to worry about when it comes to a burner damaging their pressed discs. If you feel otherwise, you should probably stop reading any discs you have in fear that they might become damaged… :wink:

I understand why laser power would increase with an increase in velocity, but why would density matter? It seems it would be the opposite.

If that’s the case, then yeah, I agree with u that it was the laser from that jukebox.

It’s actually called a servo motor, because it’s controlled via pulses, rather than a constant DC feed as with ordinary motors.

Density and velocity are directly interrelated - one directly affects the other. If you have no concept of that, then don’t post (or argue) with people who actually do.

Further, don’t (as the expression goes) put words into my mouth: I never said “that the average consumer has anything to worry about”. I answered the original question, which ïs at the top of this thread and, for reference, was “Can CD/DVD Burner damage manufactured CD’s?”

The answer, as I stated, is YES and I provided empirical proof of such.

You are kidding me, right? It is called a bloody spindle motor because it provides drive to the spindle that turns the damned disc, not because of the mechanism used to power it.

In all of the drive and chipsets I’ve worked with and designed, it has always, and always will, be refered to as a spindle motor - because THAT IS WHAT IT DOES.

The term “servo motors” is generally applied to steppers or voice coils that provide discreet movement, such as tracking and/or focus controls (especially in optical drive design).

If you want to argue semantics further, find someone else to bother.

No reason to be rude. I didn’t quote you as saying what you implied I had. :rolleyes:
I will post what I want when I want. If you do not like that, then don’t read my posts. As a matter of fact, I will put words in your mouth that you didn’t say…if I so desire. :stuck_out_tongue:

:eek: Wow, you needn’t to be so rude. A simple explanation is all that is required. If u look back it’s u who had started to be picky about semantics. I never knew that I was even arguing with u. My intentions were hostile and I thought it was just a case of explaining semantics. After all isn’t this a forum for discussion, and I do accept corrections from others. It goes to say no one is perfect!

I admit you r right, so let’s leave this subject alone so everyone is happy - I won’t take it up any further.

My problem isn’t with either of you, it is generally with the internet and forums like this, as a whole.

I spend a majority of my time having to re-educate people because of what they’ve either read, or been told, in misinformation from supposed “expert” sites on the internet.

Nothing personal, but I do take a dim view to people posing as experts and answering others questions without the engineering background or solid understanding of the technologies involved.

I’ve spent some considerable time reading through a lot of this site (and have had people point me to various threads on it in the past) that have provided either inaccurate or downright incorrect information. It’s actually the main reason I joined, to target those people who portray themselves as “experts” and show them their knowledge isn’t as deep as they’d like everyone to believe.

Last thing I’ll say on this topic: There is an old adage that states “Don’t make the mistake of confusing brilliance for arrogance”. If you are offended by the way I have replied to your question, maybe you should take more care to moderate your own remarks that incited my reply.

You will not “re-educate” anyone with that attitude, especially not here. Out.

spath-thanks for removing his direct insult to me.

Bexster- This forum would not exist if it relied on only people with engineering backgrounds to answer questions. Most of us are here to offer what we can. Lots of answers are incorrect and lots are correct. That’s why it’s a forum, so we can all hash it out together.

You admit that you joined the forum to target certain people (and apparently insult them). I believe insulting others is against the forum rules. I can only hope that the moderators of this place will not allow you to stay here any longer with that attitude.

My career is in the optical disc industry so I feel that perhaps there are times I an be of help here. I enjoy a good argument/debate and don’t mind being proven I’m wrong. It’s a great way to increase my knowledge. I do not however appreciate rude and hateful remarks aimed directly at me personally.

Sounds like a few urban myths at work here…

The read laser (works on reflection only) of any burner, high end burners included, is set at around 5mw which equates to almost ZERO heat because heat is not required. Compare that to the 200mw+ generated by a burn laser (works on heat affecting a dye) and it becomes obvious as to the damage a read laser can cause to a normally used commercial or otherwise DVD … ZILCH. Anyone who says otherwise is basing their facts on a pedantic assumption. If a duke box screws up a CD it’s because the CD quality was crap in the first place. This is interesting but entirely irrelevant to the question from normal usage.

Overspeeding during read can damage the media and the drive too.
But its very uncommon.