Can Catalyst and Forceware run together?

vbimport

I have a MSI RS480M2 mobo. I was thinking of adding a 6600GT. Since the onboard ATI graphics cannot be disabled, I can’t remove Catalyst from my system. Won’t there be a conflict between Catalyst and Forceware if I add a nVidia card? Should I skip the 6600GT and get a Radeon instead?

uninstall catalyst before you put the graphic card you can uninstall catalyst for sure why did you say you cant remove it? whats exactly is the problem , i had a look at your motherboard pdf and i think it can be disabled from “advanced chipset features>>internal video mode” and if im wrong then some motherboards disable the onboard graphic automatically after putin a graphic card, i suggest youll ask in the offical msi forum to get a clear answer http://forum.msi.com.tw/ in worst case scenerio that it cant be disabled simply disable it in device manager

You can uninstall catalyst, and you also can disable your onboard graphics.

I read somewhere it’s possible to run two PCI-E graphic cards, one NVidia and the other ATI but it didn’t look simple.

i dont see how thats related his motherboard dont have SLI also what he wanna do is to put a PCI-E graphic card to replace the onboard one

Who said anything about replacing onboard graphics? The question is “Can… together.”

Whenever I look for motherboards, I look for those with onboard graphics. How to disable onboard graphics, commonly known and easily done in motherboard BIOS. Since I don’t know an easy way to “add” another graphic controller to onboard-graphic motherboards, I mentioned SLI.

the question look like that in the title but in the post itself not really

you did just without using the word

the technology to bridge 2 pci-e graphic cards together is called SLI

edit and just to make it clear i meant replacing as using a graphic card instead of the onboard one and not litterly replacing the onboard graphics

I guess I didn’t frame the question properly.

The RS480 mobo’s onboard graphics can’t be disabled and take up a minimum of 64 MB of system RAM irrespective of the presence of another graphics card.
Obviously I can’t remove the display drivers (Catalyst) for the onboard graphics.

My question is, will a 6600GT (and the Forceware drivers that go with it), cause a conflict with the existing display drivers? Because now there will be 2 sets of display drivers.

I am asking this because I want to buy a 6600GT and am not sure if it will work in a ATI chipset mobo. If anyone is running a nvidia card in this mobo, please let me know. Otherwise i’ll just buy a Radeon instead.

No, we understood it.

The RS480 mobo’s onboard graphics can’t be disabled and take up a minimum of 64 MB of system RAM irrespective of the presence of another graphics card.

Yes, they can be disabled. Look in your BIOS. :slight_smile:

Obviously I can’t remove the display drivers (Catalyst) for the onboard graphics.

Sure you can. Even if you couldn’t disable it, you could mark it as disabled in Windows, and uninstall the Catalysts - although Windows will likely still detect it and install its own built-in drivers if you haven’t disabled it. But you CAN disable it, so…

My question is, will a 6600GT (and the Forceware drivers that go with it), cause a conflict with the existing display drivers? Because now there will be 2 sets of display drivers.

It might, but you CAN uninstall Catalyst. I don’t understand why you think you can’t. ???

I am asking this because I want to buy a 6600GT and am not sure if it will work in a ATI chipset mobo. If anyone is running a nvidia card in this mobo, please let me know. Otherwise i’ll just buy a Radeon instead.

I’ve used GeForces on ATI chipset boards before. Of course, I’ve also disabled the onboard graphics on those boards. :wink:

That clears things up.

Not trying to be mean. You just seem to be operating under a couple of misconceptions… trying to figure out where you got them?

I read it on the user reviews on Newegg

AHHHH!

Ok, that helps a bit. Do you actually have the board installed now? Or is it still on order? Trust me, you can both disable the onboard video AND … well you needn’t ever install the Catalyst drivers if you don’t want to. Nobody will force you!

I’m still deciding between a 6600GT and a X800. Initially the X800 was the only choice but now i’m considering the 6600GT as well.

X800GT is pretty much equal to 6600GT, slightly faster sometimes.
//Danne