Can BenQ 1640 burn at 8x speed on a P-II/266MHz...?

Yesterday I made a bet with my son. He said BenQ 1640 was able to burn at 8x speed on our more the 7y old P-II/266 home network server.
I said; [B]no chance!
[/B]
I made a similar test a while ago with my NEC ND-3500. That drive barely burned at 8x on this compu. Having this in mind and also regarded 1640 as more “power hungry”, I was sure it shouldn’t make a 8x burn on this old box. To make it even more difficult I choose a crappy MediaRange MCC-02RG20 (some say dash media needs more juice (power)…

He*l, I was wrong and that cost me $$. Drive almost managed a 12x burn, but only almost… :smiley:

Mobo: Intel AL440LX dated -97
CPU: Intel PII-266MHz running at 66.6MHz FSB
Memory: 256 MB SDRAM PC100 (FSB-DRAM=1:1, CL2/2.5/2/2/5)
HDD: WD 80GB /8MB cache
NIC: 3x CNet PCI Gigabit Ethernet, Realtek RTL8169S
PSU: 180W, that’s what label says anway
IDE Cable: 40 conductor, 5y old (using 80 conductor didn’t change anything.)

• Minimal setup as server.
    .¨

How much $$ did you lost? :slight_smile:

I think the reason that an old PII-266MHz machine can burn at 8x is this:

HDD: WD 80GB /8MB cache

The newish harddrive is able to keep up whereas a harddrive as old as the CPU probably wouldn’t be able to keep up with 8x burning.

Anyway it’s nice to know. :slight_smile:

Hmm, one month’s allowence… :o
But then, he helps me a lot with testing aso, unpaid. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, no doubt about that.
It was definitely the slow IDE bus speed (33MB/s) that holds the burn speed back. 1640’s burst rate test shows 21MB/s…

Never understemate these computer “WIZ” generation, Yes they,cool,dude, aesome but they sure know the computer.

Simple, guys
As long as the system is capable of UDMA2 (HD) this long it can burn any DVD speed, provided system ram is sufficient.

What is 8x anyway? Around 7MB/s if I am not mistaken? – Laughable

It’s actually 11080 MB\s. :bigsmile:

It’s actually 11080 MB\s. :bigsmile:
Even more wrong… I think you had 11.08 MB/s in mind. :stuck_out_tongue:

@Bronco04, adding a lazy man’s guide… :smiley:

Absolutely correct. That’ll teach me to post before my morning coffee. :slight_smile:

I have hard to follow what you had in mind… :confused:

1. UDMA-2 mode gives transfer rate of max. 33MB/s
  2. ATA-33 is used to describe bus transfer rate of max. 33MB/s (UDMA-2)

My system, PII-266 IDE bus speed is ATA-33, 33MB/s, (UDMA-2 capable), my HDD is UDMA-5 capable, the 1640 drive is UDMA-2 classed. And my “system ram” is sufficient.
But still it can’t burn at “any DVD speed” higher than 8x successfully.

Sorry Bronco04, I don’t think it’s that simple, at least not to my knowledge.

Which doesn’t mean it’s fast enough… :disagree:
that only means that your HDD can transfer data via UDMA-5-protocoll.
Many new HDDs are ATA-133 but are slow though.

FWIW, I bought a new computer (Dell P4 2.8 Ghz) some months ago because with my old 566 Mhz Celeron box I could not burn @8x with my LiteOn 832s.
I know it should have been able to in theory, but in reality it could not, so I bought a new puter and then a 1620 and then a 1640. :smiley:

@Chuck44, you’re saying that you cannot use your 1620 to burn @8x on a Dell P4 2.8Ghz (probably Dimension 4600/4700 with free LCD :p). Check DMA!! Hehe, too late eh?!

Hi zevia. No, sorry I wasn’t more clear. What I meant was, I could not burn @8x with the old 566 MHz Celeron computer with my old LiteOn 832s drive.
So, I bought a new Dell P4 2.8 GHz (yes, a Demension 4700) and it worked so well I bought a 1620, then a 1640 and retired my trusty old 832s (going to give it to a friend for Christmas) :slight_smile:
With the Pentium 4 all my drives have worked perfectly, except for a weird problem in this thread which is unrelated.

Hey Chuck44, I read again your post and you were right in the first place. :doh::o

No problem. :slight_smile:

Thanks for that, Pinto! :smiley:
OK, 11MB/s…I knew I was close :slight_smile:

Your PII system has an Intel 440LX chipset installed (the first chipset for the PII family) which might limit constant ATA throughput to a value lower than 33 MB/s (which is a rather theoretical burst rate value anyway) …

wise words! :iagree:

The PPro FX chipset was the first available PII chipset actually, though it was short lived. Back on topic, I would think the cpu is the limiting factor here, not the chipset per se. He wouldn’t achieve a burstrate of 21 MB/sec if the chipset was the culprit.