Can BackItUp write 2 backups to 1 DVD?

vbimport

I have BackItUp 1.2.0.43 (Part of Nero OEM for Memorex 6.6). I want to use the scheduler and backup some data files to DVD disks. There’s room for two or more backups on a single DVD.

I’m confused because there is nothing in the documentation about this. It seemed like I could do two backkups to one DVD+R. The log file reported a successful burn for the second backup, but when I looked I couldn’t see any part of the second backup on the disk.

I tried again with a DVD+RW disk, and there were two folders, one for the first backup and another for the second which is what I expected.

Can BackItUp write two backup jobs to one DVD+R disk?

Are DVD+RW disks required for 2 or more backups on one disk?

Thanks

John

Hi John, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Yes, Nero BackItUp can backup multiple times to either write-once media such as DVD+R or to re-writable media such as DVD+RW, as long as there is usfficient space left. :iagree:

I use BackItUp on both types of media on a regular basis.

I don’t know what went wrong with one of your backups, but you don’t have the latest Nero version, so you could try upgrading to Nero 6.6.1.4 which contains Nero BackItUp 1.2.0.61.

[QUOTE=jmk94903]I have BackItUp 1.2.0.43 (Part of Nero OEM for Memorex 6.6). I want to use the scheduler and backup some data files to DVD disks. There’s room for two or more backups on a single DVD.

I’m confused because there is nothing in the documentation about this. It seemed like I could do two backkups to one DVD+R. The log file reported a successful burn for the second backup, but when I looked I couldn’t see any part of the second backup on the disk.

I tried again with a DVD+RW disk, and there were two folders, one for the first backup and another for the second which is what I expected.

Can BackItUp write two backup jobs to one DVD+R disk?

Are DVD+RW disks required for 2 or more backups on one disk?

Read the following:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20887

Hmm, I’m not sure that link is describing the same problem as the original poster, because your link is about backing up an entire drive as an image with BackItUp, whereas it sounds to me from the original post, that John’s problem is with backing up data files?!

For anyone not familiar with Nero BackItUp, it can backup either partitions or files and the two methods are quite dissimilar.

Thanks for the welcome and info.

I did download and install the 1.2.0.61 update and repeated my backup to a new DVD+R disk. I did two backups of different folders on the same drive to that one disk. Same problem, only the first backup folder is visible.

When I checked with Disk Info, it shows there are two sessions with two tracks, but the second session with Track 02 (my second backup) is not visible.

So, the program was correct that it was burning the backup, but I just can’t see the second one.

With a DVD+RW disk, both backup folders are visible and I can restore from both backups.

You are correct.

I’m backing up about 3-4GB of data files to a DVD. It’s possible that for some backups, two backups may just fit on one DVD because of the compression. However, I’m getting the odd hidden session on DVD+R disks, so I can only see and restore from the first backup to the disk.

I think the problem may be that this computer is running Windows 98SE. Nero Express has a warning under Win98SE that on a multi-session disk may not be readable. Windows XP is apparently required.

I’ll be you are running Windows XP.

John

Yes, I think you have found the explanation for your problem! :iagree:

I’m not accepting your bet - I’ve been running Windows XP ever since it was released.

jmk94903, The purpose I posted the link not to show exact matching problem as your but to let know that Craig Campbell is Nero’s customer representative that often visit that forum to read customers feedbacks and complaints and either provide answers or relay those feedbacks to Nero engineering department for answers.

Ah, now I understand. Thank you. That’s a useful piece of information.

John

I have run several versions of Nero. I like the backitup feature, however, I ran into a problem, or rather it did. I scheduled several jobs to run incrementally at logon. This worked a few times then I scheduled a job to run full on a daily basis. The job did not schedule properly. So I rescheduled it. When I rebooted I received errors claiming that the file was corrupt or missing. I deleted all of the scheduled jobs and figured a fresh start was in order. However, every logon shows the same errors. In fact, I even reinstalled Nero. Surprisingly it happened again. So then I bacame anul. I used the general clean tool to remove Nero. I removed every “nero” and “ahead” entry in the registry, deleted every associated file folder including the recylce bin, cleared the cache, emptied the temp folder, dumped the prefetch reinstalled a different Nero version and damn near threw my PC in the trash when it happened again. Clearly the job files are saved in a windows folder. They continue to execute at logon even though the job does not exist. I just want to know what folder to empty. Not sure what else to do. Any thought?

Infinitlimit: Welcome to CDF.

Not sure what else to do. Any thought?

Post your question in it’s own thread as you’ve activated one that is more than 6 months old and has a title that does not reflect your situation.

Just did several minutes ago. Took a while to do since I am new at this. Thanks.