Can anyone identify this media code?

vbimport

went to staples reciently & saw this package. and being the cd freak that i am. bought them. now i’m trying to check them out & cant id them. heres the mid code and the rest of the peranent info. there imation forcefield ,
scratch resistant. the same but a cds are moser baer’s(same covers).
any guesses on qcheck or dependability??? i usually follow this forum daily, but latly with the weather & all been quite buisy. and as allways thanks for any help. :wink:

They are Moser Baer 8x media, most of the results I’ve seen from them are quite good, with a few erratic results. You can look in the burner and DVD media test forums for scans. I would suspect that you’ll get good results in your Benq with them, but of course you can try them out for yourself and scan your burn since you have a Benq.

Mostly excellent discs, these MBIPG101 R04, specially under the TDK and Philips brand. I had some trouble with the Ricoh-branded ones, but SB for known media did the trick with my Benq 1650. I’ve heard good things about the Imation ones, but I have no personal experience with them.

The Imation MBIPG101 R04s that I’ve used in my LG drives have produced very good results - however, I’ve never used a BenQ to burn them. Hopefully, your results will be similar…

As Scoobie suggested, burning and scanning one or two will show you how they burn in your BenQ. I can burn and scan one in my LG4163 if you like, but the results may differ, since I’m using a different drive (both to burn and scan).

:slight_smile:

MBI’s own-coded media is a mediocre grade disc. It nowhere near the quality of your average MCC, TY, MXL or TDK discs.

I beg to differ. In my experience MBIPG101 R04 is in some instances (depending on the burner) better, and more consistent in quality, than MCC media. I consider the TDK-branded ones as the best discs I use at the moment, on par with YUDEN00T02 and premium MCC004.

On what evidence/experience do you base this claim? I’m interested.

All users of TDK-branded MBIPG101 R04, here, are 100% happy with them. The Philips-branded ones have also been reported as excellent. No complaints (as yet) even with the Imation-branded ones, only with the Ricoh branded ones that seem to be rather different.

Testing. Not what most people at this site would consider testing (one person, one drive, blah), but something far more complex and statistically sound.

This is NOT to say some people will not be happy with MBI discs, but simply that it will be a lesser number than something like MCC or TY or higher grade media. In two words, this disc would be “mixed results”.

Historically, MBI media is not all that super, something that needs to be remembered, don’t catch “Ritek Fever” because of one ID from a company that seems to be good.

Following your same ‘testing’ procedures, it’s good media (MBIPG101 R04), just look at the overall results from the users on this site.

I never mentioned it, but I got a hold of three of the Imation branded ones and tested them in three burners and was very unhappy with all the burns. They had PIF error totals that were way too high as well as PIF peaks in the teens.

Sorry I cannot remember the exact burners as it was a few months ago and, at the time, most people were not too keen on MBI as being very inconsistent. I felt my posting would contribute nothing new.

I dismissed them and would not buy them. The MBI CDs, however (same Imation branding) were as good as any I have seen. Possibly the MBI that shows up in the US is not as good as your experiences in the EU.

Can you elaborate? I (or anyone else) can make similar claims. Also this “blah” is close to provocation in my book. :cop: - You have the right to voice any opinion you like, but mind your manners.

You can consider our user data here, and C’t test results, as not elaborate enough, but at least the results are public, in the open, everyone can have access to it. What about your own “testing”?

This is NOT to say some people will not be happy with MBI discs, but simply that it will be a lesser number than something like MCC or TY or higher grade media. In two words, this disc would be “mixed results”.
Recently, there has been more reports of these “mixed results” with MCC discs than it used to be. More, actually, than with discs from manufacturers considered as “less good” (CMC, MBI, Prodisc… ) sold under reputable brands.
Historically, MBI media is not all that super, something that needs to be remembered, don’t catch “Ritek Fever” because of one ID from a company that seems to be good.
Don’t do the same because of MCC004. MCC03RG20 is very variable, as was late MCC02RG20 before production stopped. Lots of reports of bad batches of MCC media recently. Face it: [I]things change[/I]. I’m not gonna live in the past.

So it’s not “Ritek fever”, it’s considering the [I]now[/I]. In this fast changing optical media industry, history has very little value in my opinion, except to keep things in perspective. On the contrary, it distracts from the actual value of present media production. Dismissing a good product just because a company used to produce lesser products, or on the other hand trusting blindly a company that has produced good products in the past, is dimissing the fact that the world has changed a LOT during the past 30 years. Branding and reputation don’t have the same value than it used to.

I’m still interested in some data from your “statistically sound testing”.

Thanks for the report Chas :slight_smile: - as for the difference between US and Europe, it’s definitly a possibility. I have noticed several conflicting experiences since I’m a member here…

That’s really interesting, chas :eek:…I’m kinda wishing you’d posted about it before! :slight_smile:

You could be right about the possible difference between MBI stuff in the US, as opposed to the EU :wink:

Here is a scan of an Imation MBIPG101 R04 from some I tried recently, didn’t exactly impress me after the positive reports I’ve been hearing about them recently :frowning:

It would seem that either my drive doesn’t like them or the Imation branded ones are rather variable in quality.

Burned at 8x:

Compared to either of these 2 from the same drive burned within the last few weeks.

MBI manufactured MCC 004 burned at 8x:

CMC MAG E01 burned at 4x:

What’s wrong with the MBI scan? Agreed, the two other scans look better, but this doesn’t tell much about the real-world behaviour.

As long as you have QS over 92, and unless the total PIF counts are in the stratosphere, the burn is good in terms of PIE/PIF values, which is only one aspect of the media quality. Now there’s the rest: do you have complaints about the real-world behaviour of this disc? Troubled reading curve? Compatibility problems? Degradation problems? etc…

This said, the TDK-branded ones give much better error plots in my burners. As I mentioned above, I don’t have personal experience with the Imation ones…

MMmmh now that I take a closer look, I actually don’t like this jitter increase near the outer edge… but I’ve recently seen much worse results from some MCC media in the Benq forum.

Indeed, the Imation ones are very variable in quality… TDK and maybe MCC ones are subject to stricter quality control.

(I’ve had a few Imation MII CD-R which were immediately defective after burning, but my Mitsubishi Chemical MII CD-R are fine.)

Well given a choice of what disc to use, I’d be more happy with either of the other 2. Both the MBI R04 & CMC E01 scored the same rating in the C’t stability testing so it would come down to PIE/PIF/Jitter , which on all 3 counts the MBI R04 disc loses on.

I suppose it’s mainly because of the praise they were getting, so my expectations were of discs which would match the results of the other 2 discs.

The TDK discs I ordered turned out to be CMC MAG E01 so I still have to try those particular MBI discs, hopefully they will live up to the praise if I’m ever lucky enough to be sent MBIs instead of CMC that is :bigsmile: :stuck_out_tongue:

This I can definitly relate to! :iagree: - I’m only trying, as a rule of thumb in this forum, to keep things into perspective about scanning results and interpretation in general, but I’d be, just as you, disappointed with average (yet prefectly OK) results from discs that come with a good reputation. Actually that’s why I’m often whining about MCC discs these days, even though I’m not really bothered by the results I get.

The TDK discs I ordered turned out to be CMC MAG E01 so I still have to try those particular MBI discs, hopefully they will live up to the praise if I’m ever lucky enough to be sent MBIs instead of CMC that is :bigsmile: :stuck_out_tongue:
Is you E01 scan above from a one of these TDK discs BTW?

Since we’re posting MBI Imation scans, I couldn’t resist sticking my oar in :stuck_out_tongue: :bigsmile:

Link to scan, burned on LG4167 (DL13) @ 8x: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1305425&postcount=145

And here’s one on my LG4163 (A106), again burned @ 8x:

No, here is a TDK branded CMC E01 scan, burnt at 8x:

Hmm incase of MBIL.
There really seems to be huge differences between the brands.
Ohh and I wouldn’t rate MBIL as high quality but then again I wouldn’t rate TY as high quality.
Incase if someone would ask me MBIL or TY. I would first ask what brand MBIL ?
Philips ? ->MBIL TDK ? ->MBIL but after that I think it might be in favour of TY.(that is 8x mbil vs 8x TY.)