Can a single layer DVDROM reader read DL disks?

I currently own a LG DRD-8160B DVDROM drive. Nero InfoTool says it can read CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-ROM. But it doesn’t read DVD+R/RW and double layer media “officially”!

Sometimes a friend of mine brings me a games magazine with a DVD. I recently knew it was a double layer disk! The strange thing is that my drive read it perfectly… :eek:

Is it possible that a DVDROM reader which doesn’t support DL media can read it ? Or did I read just data on the first layer ?

All DVD-ROM drives will read pressed double layered discs as far as I know. Most will also read DVD+R DL discs but not all. BUT when recording a DVD+R DL disc the booktype can be changed to DVD-ROM allowing more DVD-ROMs to read the disc as it’s detected as a DVD-ROM disc instead of a DVD+R disc.

Let’s suppose I have a DVD+R DL disk and I DO NOT change the booktype to DVD-ROM. If the drive didn’t read it would it do that deliberately and ONLY because it is not a supported type (so would it be a virtual problem)? I thought DL disks needed a special laser. Is it right ? On some sites I have seen burning DL disks require 2 separate lasers, one for writing on the first reflective layer and the other for writing on the second hemi-reflective layer.

Bump.

[QUOTE=Tyreksionibus;689846]Let’s suppose I have a DVD+R DL disk and I DO [U]NOT[/U] change the booktype to DVD-ROM. If the drive didn’t read it would it do that deliberately and ONLY because it is not a supported type (so would it be a virtual problem)? I thought DL disks needed a special laser. Is it right ? On some sites I have seen burning DL disks require 2 separate lasers, one for writing on the first reflective layer and the other for writing on the second hemi-reflective layer.[/QUOTE]

As G@M3FR3@K said all drives can read DL ROMs it’s in the DVDV Specs for players to support it.

Well it’s actually a bit of a “trick” to change the booktype to DVD-ROM. Actually what you’re doing is adding to the leadin track that is pre-recorded on -R discs (spath expalined this on here before).

The booktype is still what it is, but the second part in that leadin change it so some drives will think it’s a ROM but they still have to support the recordable format. I don’t think old drives/players that have no support for any -R discs can be fooled.

I never heard about a second laser needed for DL, if that was true then firmware that updated SL writers for DL would not be possible, so I it doesn’t sound reliable to me.

Any idea how you change the booktype using Nero Express?

Bottom line of this “thread title” misunderstanding is: never trust in the info some tools give you. These tools just read out capabilities info from the drive itself, there is no proof for that info, really.
I’d say there is NO such as a single layer DVD-ROM drive. They all should at least recognize and read back pressed DVD5 and DVD9 media.

As for the bitsetting thing:
You need to have a drive which in combination with its firmware supports bitsetting at all, either by standard (cannot be altered with tools/settings) or by action (using tools).

If nero express supports that, it should be hidden in some further settings/extras.

All the things people do to avoid spending $17-$30 on a newer optical drive…

AD

Perhaps this 6-year old thread can be laid to rest after today’s gratuitous bump?! :wink:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2559651]Perhaps this 6-year old thread can be laid to rest after today’s gratuitous bump?! ;)[/QUOTE]

LOL didn’t even realize it was that old :clap::bigsmile: