Can a QS damage a burn?

vbimport

This will probably be a long post, but it is the result of testing for almost two weeks. I’ll try to make it as concise as possible.

Preface: I had a Litey 20A3P (Alpha) and BenQ Dw1625 installed internally. Recently purchased 2 enclosures with NEC chipsets. Moved the aforementioned drives to the enclosures and installed a new 20A3P (Beta) and Pioneer 115D as internal drives. Keep in mind that I have rotated all the drives from external to internal during testing.

Problem: Burns with the 115D internally and externally went fine. The new 20A3P also did well. Then Benq never burned all that well but has never been a problem. The OLD 20A3P started to give be issues about 3 weeks ago with odd spikes. When I ran the QS after burning with the 115D, the BenQ, and new 20A3P the scans were ok. I never noticed any odd spikes, which is what I was looking for. When I ran a scan through the OLD 20A3P I noticed a very large spike. I know the QS isn’t most reliable, but helps me find large spikes. I probably burned 20 DVD’s from 5 different spindles (from different sections within the spindle) during this testing. All spindles are Verbs new and classic. But every burn turned out the same with that large spike right after 0.0. The kicker is that if I ran a QS on any drive (minus the 115D) BEFORE I ran it through the OLD 20A3P there was NO spike, If I ran a QS through the OLD 20A3P first, I would that large spike on EVERY scan.

I’ve corrected everything I could before I came to the conclusion that the old 20A3P was bad. The drive was purchased in 08/07. I changed out the PSU, the 80 pin IDE cable, ran Prime95 for the heck of it, burned the image from a different drive, changed firmware, burned different media from different spindles, reinstalled Imgburn, removed old lower filter, rotated the drives, and a few I can’t remember. But in the end, I realized it had to be the older 20A3P.

SCANS: This was burned with the OLD 20A3P at 8X

1st scan is with the new 20A3P internal drive. The spikes are normal for the old 20A3P and this media. This aren’t the spikes I’m focusing on.

2nd scan is with the external BenQ. If you look carefully the spikes are in the same areas

3rd scan is the TRT by the new 20A3P

This is better off in the Blank Media forum, than the Optical Storage Tech Discussions one, which is for more in-depth tech talk. So I’ve moved it to BM for further discussion. :wink:

1st scan is the QS via the OLD 20A3P. Remember this is the same drive that did the burning.

2nd scan is the TRT by the same drive as above

3rd scan is a QS via the NEW 20A3P after the old 20A3P scan

4th scan is the TRT by the New 20A3P after the old scan

1st scan is the BenQ QS after the OLD Litey scan

2nd is the TRT with the BenQ

[QUOTE=Arachne;2033314]This is better off in the Blank Media forum, than the Optical Storage Tech Discussions one, which is for more in-depth tech talk. So I’ve moved it to BM for further discussion. ;)[/QUOTE]

Really has nothing to do with blank media. That’s not the issue at hand. I’m looking for a more “in depth” reply then “use better media.”

I didn’t want to post all the scans, but this is the trend with almost all the burns I’ve done for almost 2 weeks.

Any in-depth responses? This is something I’ve never come across in the 2+ years I’ve been doing this. I do understand that a QS can vary within the same make and model, but a large spike like that is too strange.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I can play the DVD’s in a set top player without issue if I don’t test with the OLD Litey. After the test it pauses b/w 2:10-3:05.

Does the old Litey leave a visible mark on the disc after reading/scanning a disc, e.g. a tiny circular scratch near the beginning of the disc?

[QUOTE=i_love_cake;2033325]Really has nothing to do with blank media. That’s not the issue at hand. I’m looking for a more “in depth” reply then “use better media.”[/QUOTE]

It may not have anything to do with blank media (I never claimed it did), but this is where questions about quality scans and anomalies therein live.

Another reason for moving it here is to your benefit - this forum gets way more traffic than the Optical Storage Technical Discussions one, and in here you’re more likely to get an answer.

Agreeing with [B]Arachne[/B] about this being the better place for this thread. :iagree:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2033334]Does the old Litey leave a visible mark on the disc after reading/scanning a disc, e.g. a tiny circular scratch near the beginning of the disc?[/QUOTE]

No. It’s one of the first things I looked at with a magnifying glass.

I’ve researched for similar issues but nothing yet.

I never had this issue with the drive until I placed it to an external case and back. :frowning:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2033336]It may not have anything to do with blank media (I never claimed it did), but this is where questions about quality scans and anomalies therein live.

Another reason for moving it here is to your benefit - this forum gets way more traffic than the Optical Storage Technical Discussions one, and in here you’re more likely to get an answer.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.:kiss:

Just use better media.

Haha kidding mate. I’ve been told that the 20A3P is meant to be used @8x when scanning. It’s 4x scans can be whacky. Have you tried scanning @ 8x and seeing if the problem still occurs?

If it does, I’d seriously just stop using that drive, I don’t know how it’s doing it but it seems to be wrecking your discs :open_mouth: