Can a Firmware Flash Make My NEC ND-3550A Work Properly?

vbimport

Hello, I’m glad I found this forum! I have owned a NEC ND-3550A drive for a couple of years now. I love this drive, it is by far the best DVD burner I have ever owned, it has outlasted every other burner by a long shot. I have probably burned over 500 DVDs and CDs on this thing and it still works great!

The only problem I have with it however is that many of the CDs/DVDs I create using this drive cannot be read by itself. IOW, about 75% of the burns I do with the 3550 cannot be read back on the 3550, they do however read perfectly on all my other CD/DVD drives and on all the other computers in the house, including on my living room DVD player, etc. It appears that depending on the blank media I use, this result varies.

I wonder if a modified FW might be able to help this problem so that I can read the CDs/DVDs on the 3550A? I have never updated the Firwmare till today. I just finished updating it to the most recent 1.07 FW, but it does the same thing and won’t read copies that I burned on it. I was about to download some of LIggy’s and Dee’s modified firmwares to try, but I thought I’d ask first to see if there is a specific firmware the might solve this problem.

Thank you!

Hi NeoRio,
what brands of media are still readable on your Nec? Your problem is maybe media related but since your Nec is a quite old, maybe the drive is “dying”.

Thanks for the quick answer. For the most part, the media I use is the cheap stuff. Cheap blank DVDs (-R and +R)…and cheap CDs. However, I also use very high quality media for certain projects, like Verbatim and Memorex and I get the same results with those. On my Memorex for instance, I will have some burns that read back fine, but then some others don’t show up at all…they look like a blank disc. But when I pop them into another DVD drive, they read fine.

[QUOTE=NeoRio;2069181]Thanks for the quick answer. For the most part, the media I use is the cheap stuff. Cheap blank DVDs (-R and +R)…and cheap CDs. However, I also use very high quality media for certain projects, like Verbatim and Memorex and I get the same results with those. On my Memorex for instance, I will have some burns that read back fine, but then some others don’t show up at all…they look like a blank disc. But when I pop them into another DVD drive, they read fine.[/QUOTE]

Necs and especially the older ones are a bad readers and sometimes they cannot read even the media successfully burned by themself… So when you are using a cheap media, your drive can burn them (Necs are also famous for being able to burn on even the crappiest media, even Princo recommend the Nec drives for burning of their media in the past :bigsmile:) but may not be able to read it :a.
However I think that your drive is slowly dying, that’s nothing unusual, every drive will broke up after a sever thousands of burns. :sad:

Yes, you may be right. Before I found this forum however, I found a few other people online that describe this same problem with the 3550A and they were brand new ones that were doing the same thing; (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/186725-32-3550a-reading). I’ve had many DVD burners in the past, when they start to die, they usually start by burning bad CDs/DVDs, not by having problems with reading. Like I said earlier, the 3550A is the most reliable writer I’ve ever had and I have burned more copies than any of my previous burners ever survived.

I just did a test of some of my media, it seems the cheap -R DVDs are the main ones that don’t read, while the +R DVDs do read better…though not all of them do. I don’t mind keeping this 3550A as a burner if it continues to do a good job, but when the day comes that I will need a new one…which DL DVD burner should I get to take its place?

If I had to buy a new burner I would buy some Optiarc 720x or Pioneer DVR-215. Both are NEC chipset based, by the way :wink:

So let me see if I understand the bottom line regarding my initial question: It is very likely that my NEC ND-3550A will continue to burn good copies…but it will continue to have a hard time reading cheap media?–especially media it has burned itself?

If that is correct, I guess I will be happy to continue to use the 3550. One big problem though is that I cannot burn a multi-session CD or DVD as it does not read or recognize the first session and treats the disc like a virgin when trying to burn more data to it.

Oh well.

[QUOTE=NeoRio;2069210]So let me see if I understand the bottom line regarding my initial question: It is very likely that my NEC ND-3550A will continue to burn good copies…but it will continue to have a hard time reading cheap media?–especially media it has burned itself?[/QUOTE]
It will have a hard time reading any cheap and badly burned media - not only those burned by itself. Actually, your Nec is one of the few drives which are good at writing of low quality media - that’s is a good thing. Bad thing is Nec’s sensitivity when it comes to reading.

If that is correct, I guess I will be happy to continue to use the 3550. One big problem though is that I cannot burn a multi-session CD or DVD as it does not read or recognize the first session and treats the disc like a virgin when trying to burn more data to it.
Oh well.

If I was you I would keep this drive but I would also buy a new one. You can use your old Nec for burning and the new one for reading and for a case when your Nec will die completely. :bigsmile:

Yep, another moderately illiterate computer user here.
This has nothing to do with the posted thread but I must be having a multitude of Brain Farts as I can’t seem to locate how to post a new thread. Any assistance greatly appreciated.
My new thread would be on what happened to both of my dvd burners? All of a sudden I have lost the icons and get a (code 10) when I try to use them.:confused:

[QUOTE=jagster;2069225]Yep, another moderately illiterate computer user here.
This has nothing to do with the posted thread but I must be having a multitude of Brain Farts as I can’t seem to locate how to post a new thread. Any assistance greatly appreciated.
My new thread would be on what happened to both of my dvd burners? All of a sudden I have lost the icons and get a (code 10) when I try to use them.:confused:[/QUOTE]

Hi jagster,
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/ is a suitable section for your thread

It’s me , Jagster again, forgot to mention that the burners are a Memorex DVD 16+/- DL4RWID2 and a TSST model TS-H652D (Samsung, I believe). Probably doesn’t make a bit of difference.

[QUOTE=jagster;2069244]It’s me , Jagster again, forgot to mention that the burners are a Memorex DVD 16+/- DL4RWID2 and a TSST model TS-H652D (Samsung, I believe). Probably doesn’t make a bit of difference.[/QUOTE]

Please, send your question here or here