Can 2 burners run in simultaneously on the same channel?

My brother’s just found out that one of his IDE ports is completely fried; so he’s on about running his new burner in sequence in with his old one rather than having them on separate IDE channels as he had originally planned. His HDD is on a SATA channel.

2 questions:

1. Will this botch up copies that he is making if he has them running simultaneously (which was the plan)?

2. Can IDE ports be replaced/fixed or anything?

Thanks anyone who can help! :smiley:

Hi,

Time for a new mainboard, I think.

2 questions:

1. Will this botch up copies that he is making if he has them running simultaneously (which was the plan)?
    Copying “on-the-fly” is never a good idea - it is often faster and generally safer to create an image file on the HDD first. Also using two burners as target drive at the same time causes slowdowns and poor burn quality. At least with DVD media.
  1. Can IDE ports be replaced/fixed or anything?
    You can install an Add-On-Card (PCI IDE controller) or get an external enclosure and install one drive there. Concerning both options, there are some large threads about that worth reading.

Michael

I run my LG and LiteOn on the same channel, as master and slave, but I would never try to do something with the two of them at once. I use the LG to burn and then the LiteOn to test the burn after. I have found in the past some drives dont like to live on the same channel but IIRC these were CD writers.

Also I doubt that only the IDE controller was damaged, unless it was just a case of bent pins, if it was more like an over power damage or some other such thing then as mciahel said IMO its time to look for a new board :frowning:

I would not recommend doing so.

Ideally, a DVD-ROM is a slave on the primary master, with the hard drive as the primary. On the secondary IDE control you can have your DVD-Writer as a master, and a HD or another writer as a slave.

If you are doing ON THE FLY copying, your source and destination devices need to be on separate channels.

Have you considered getting one of those external USB enclosures with optical drive support ?

1. Can IDE ports be replaced/fixed or anything?

Thanks anyone who can help! :smiley:

You’re talking about the port on your motherboard ? How the heck did this happen ? This is very unusual. Broken connector maybe but fried ? That would be the controller, in which case you cannot use ANY connector.

Anyhow, get an add-on controller card or change your motherbaord.

Sorry for being so late on the reply.

Thank you all for your replies. He only ever used one IDE as he has a SATA HDD and one burner, but now he has two and wants to have 2 going simultaneously, but the IDE port that he’s never used doesn’t work.

So off the same channel is bad? Gotcha. And the add-on controller - how does that work exactly? Is it expensive at all?

I recently was asked to make 50 copies of a home made movie of a friend who had passed and I have all four of my DVD durners working at once, I used 4x media and all of them worked perfectly :slight_smile:

It plugs into a PCI slot.

Search Newegg for “ATA Controller”. Their cheapest one is $14.99 plus shipping.

Yah but couldn’t you just have had 2 running at 8x?

Okey doke, thanks - I’ll let him know.