Campaign promises revisited: Cheap "universal" broadband access to all (US) by 2007

vbimport

One of President Bush’s campaign promises was the quest for cheap “universal” broadband access to all by 2007

“We ought to have universal, affordable access to broadband technology by the year 2007,” said President Bush in 2004.

Well…It’s 2007! Where bloody he!! is it!!! :rolleyes:

George is busy

The truth of the matter is, we’ve already paid the telephone companies BILIONS in tax breaks to make 100 megabit downstream AND upstream fiber optic available to 99% of US homes, but they never did it. So who was supposed to enforce that? (I knew, but forgot exactly what government office “let that slide.” {koff bribe koff})

There are several other countries in the world that are ahead of the USA by miles and miles with reguard to internet conectivity including South Korea. I’m not holding my breath that we’ll see truely cutting edge connectivity to the average user here in the US, EVER. Ol’ George never ment that we’d actualy SEE fiber by 2007, one of his speech writers just thought it sounded really good, and what the hell, it’s not like he’s able to run again, so what’s another unfulfilled promise?

What scares the hell out of me is that, as I understand it, we’ve already missed the boat on some bills that eliminate net nutrality. What differance does it make if you have a 100 megabit connection to the internet if it only leads to content that, “The Bells,” and cable companies find appropriate to their agendas?

Western Union used to favor the Associated Press by giving them deep discounts and charging everyone else through the nose. The cable companies and telecom companies that control today’s, “wire,” are trying to position themselves to be able to pull the same crap.

JD

Don’t listen to politicians, you’ll just have to clean your ears afterwards …
I don’t go swimming in sewers for the same reason :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh trust me, I don’t. I’m just making fun of them.