Camcorder to Computer help

I thought I could take the camcorder dv and burn it to disk with my home burner attached to tv, and then bring it to my computer. Why won’t this work? I tried it and the disk appears to be blank. I know it isn’t, and will play in dvd player. How can I do this? I do not have a video capture card in my computer.

Thanks for any answers anyone can give me on this.

Donna

If I understand well, you connect your digital camcorder to a standalone DVD recorder. If you used DVD-R or DVD-RW on your standalone DVD recorder, then you have to finalise them first, in order to be read from your PC drive or any other DVD player. The procedure depends on your DVD recorder, but usually there is an option in the menu, saying “finalise” or “close” disc or something relevant.

How do you connect the camcorder to the DVDrec? Is there a firewire input in your DVDrec? If so, use this.

Also, you can check if there is a firewire port in your computer. If you plan to transfer your recordings to PC for further editing, I think it is worth buying one. It is not expensive at all. This way you can transfer your dv recordings to PC, edit them and author a DVD out of it. You are going to need a lot of free space in your hard disc though. About 10 GBs per one hour of recorded material.

Thanks so much for the quick response! I was pretty tired when I posted last night and did finally remember that I needed to finalize the disk. That did work.
I was aware that it does take alot of space to edit video. It’s not something that I do all the time. This was a video of a wedding that was shot from 2 angles and I want to splice and blend the 2 parts. Thanks so much for your help.

Donna

[QUOTE=kendon11;2236308]Thanks so much for the quick response! I was pretty tired when I posted last night and did finally remember that I needed to finalize the disk. That did work.
I was aware that it does take alot of space to edit video. It’s not something that I do all the time. This was a video of a wedding that was shot from 2 angles and I want to splice and blend the 2 parts. Thanks so much for your help.

Donna[/QUOTE]

You’re welcome, but I didn’t do anything really, you came along the solution yourself :clap: