Camcorder dvd vro files

first im not hugely literate when it comes to this stuff, but i thought the idea when i bought a dvd camcorder was i would record and be able to burn the dvd to give a copy…until i encounted the vro and ifo files. i have tried to convert the vro to mpg but the video is missing parts to say the least. i have adobe premiere elements, and when i go to import the media in,the program often crashes, could it be i don’t have enough memory?

If you could give us your system specs then we may be able to answer that specific question.

Are you trying to use Premier Elements to convert the VRO files, or some other application?

Your camera may use the same video format as Sony’s home recorders, when we use DVD-VR (it seems there is also +VR).
The VRO is the equivalent of DVD-Video VOB files.
I don’t know about Elements and what version you have, but Ulead’s VideoStudio (from version 8 or 9) can import these VRO files and edit them as Mpeg2.
So the way is this - import to a video editor that can edit Mpeg2 files (it will turn the VRO to Mpegs2), make your edits, and burn as DVD using a DVD authoring application.

Camcorders these days come with a media (cd or dvd) which contains all necessary software & drivers to achieve what you want. :wink:

my computer has 120 gb hard drive, 512 mb ddr?, 128 mb agp according to the label the dvd burner +/-rw 4X… hope this makes sense.
i just copied the vro file onto the desktop and changed the extension name, then tried to import it into premiere under media.
there wasn’t any software with the camcorder and when i got in contact with the canon helpline they told me i’d have to get third party software to edit the dvd on computer. i also had bought the sony vegas movie studio and dvd software and though i had sucess editing one 6 min dvd i couldn’t import the 20 min one intact. when i’m importing the dvd into premiere cpu usage goes up to 60percent and at this point ususally crashes…

You don’t refer to your CPU, but your crashes are probably due to your memory as windows eats a lot and 512 MB is short for video editing with nowadays software.
I’d suggest you to get at least 1GB.

You can’t change the VRO file extension to Mpeg2.

Premiere Elements version 2.0 has a new feature to import from DVD camcorders. If it works like the one I used for home recorders (Ulead VideoStudi 9), you (1) copy your DVD’s content to aq new folder in your HDD; (2) Ask Premiere to import the files and point to the folder you have them in; (3) it should pick the files and allow you to edit them - so, no action from your side changing extensions.

I don’t know about Vegas MS features, maybe it does the same, maybe there are slightly different ways, but at the end it should pick your files and import them to a format it can handle for editing.

When you say “one intact” you shall consider that some software packages have the facility to detect scenes and it causes you to get several partial files from your camera, that you will drag to the timeline to edit, unless you disable that facility and get the all file transferred from camera to the computer disk.

Scene detection uses to detect points of start/stop of camera action, but there is also the possibility to ask the software (with some packages) to cut at regular time intervals (that’s why I used the expression scene detection at first, sorry and hpoe this can clarify it better).

If it is just a matter of crash after some time, it may indicate you have no memory or temporary file (if your software uses it to expand memory).

thanks for your help.
premiere does allow me to import the vro files but computer is still crashing which i guess can only suggest the cpu(pentium 4?) is not good enough…
(premiere is about 2500mb which is seroiusly big) i have to face reality i either have to upgrade or have to do a lot more reading and research…probably both…should be real fun when i actually get to burn the dvd, sigh
thanks for all your help again

Unless your CPU is one of the very first P4s, its more likely you have a shortage of memory.
CPU would rather impact editing activity (transitions too slow) and file encoding (taking ages).
Apart from encoding and without using fancy effects or transitions, its possible to edit video with a PIII machine (besides my own experience is the use of 2 processors P III at 700Mhz), providing the mood to wait for something not being in real time and encoding taking ages (the kind of overnight task), but no crash.

By the way, the best option is to use a separate HDD for data , because the use of just one with the O/S can slow down the action and even contribute to failures.