Calibration Events: Effects on Jitter Levels?

vbimport

Pardon me, if these matters has already be addressed in a previous thread. The number of threads and posts in this forum is becoming quite large and a few searches found nothing in this area. I have read all the pages in the DVDScan thread and many of the pages in the OHT thread. :flower:

All the latest drives are employing “calibration events” in an attempt to correct “problems” occuring during a burn, IMO aimed primarily at average to poor quality media or media not supported in the firmware’s media table. This is all intended to improve the quality of the burn on that media. Exactly which type of “problem” is trying to be improved during any recalibration event is unclear.(PIE, PIF, Jitter, Beta, etc.)
It appears that these events often have an impact on Jitter Levels as indicated by DVDScan v.0.04beta, my LH-20A1P 487C KL05, and a spindle of relatively good Verbatim MCC 004 media. The following posts suggest there is often a strong correlation between these events and abrupt changes in jitter levels reported. The posts also indicate that Lite-On’s HyperTuning and Online HyperTuning may have an adverse affect on jitter levels if used on “good” media" already supported in the firmware–when compared to results obtained using SmartBurn only(i.e., No Calibration Events.) But much more testing needs to be done in this area.
I have cropped & resized portions of DVDScan’s jitter tests and CD-DVD Speed’s Create Disc or Disc Quality tests to show this correlation and to save space. I can post the full images if anyone asks. :smiley:

The tests which got me started on this track on a disc burned with the H12N UJ12. I had often noticed the alignment of abrubt drops in jitter precisely at drive calibrations using CD-DVD Speed.
It appears calibrations #1, 3, 5, and 6 “caused” abrupt drops in jitter levels. PIE levels are relatively low preceding each of the 6 calibration events(PIF as well.) With the LG drive these drive calibrations cannot be “turned off” for a 16X or 18X burn. CD-DVD Speed’s 4X Jitter graph on this disc is very similar in contour to the DVDScan jitter graph.

Now a very recent burn with the LH-20A1P 487C after resetting HyperTuning & Learned Media using the EEPROM tool. Calibrations #4, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12 appear to cause abrupt changes in jitter levels reported. Calibrations #7 & 9 appear to cause increases in jitter levels.

Another recent burn with the LH-20A1P 487C after the EEPROM reset. Calibrations #5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12, all appear to cause abrupt changes in jitter levels reported. The triple at 10 in particular seems to indicate a strong correlation to the effect on jitter levels reported. PIE levels just prior to event #10 were very low and the event appears aimed mostly at improving jitter–without much success and also possibly caused the rise in PIE levels.
Also, I was very suprised by the triple at 10 because OHT is not enabled on this burn.

An older burn with the LH-20A1P 487C done before the EEPROM reset. This burn is slightly different from the previous two, in that SmartBurn and Online HyperTuning were enabled as well. Here calibrations #1, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, and 14 all appear to cause abrupt changes in jitter levels reported. Events #6, 8, 9, and 14 appear to cause increases in jitter levels reported(possibly 12 as well.)

Finally, a view of a 16X LH-20A1P 487C burn with no calibration events(SmartBurn only enabled.) This is apparently Lite-On’s default write strategy with this media. Note the lack of the abrupt, vertical drops and rises in jitter levels reported and the lower overall jitter levels.
The CD-DVD Speed Disc Quality report shows PIE Total = 36,386, PIE Max = 19, PIF Total = 476, PIF Max = 17 (a single spike at the beginning of the burn, otherwise PIF Max ≤ 2.)

I did the tests following my intuition and simply to satisfy my own curiosity concerning Lite-On’s SmartBurn Utility. MY results with Force HyperTuning and Online HyperTuning Enabled are mixed, raising questions as to its appropriateness with the LH-20A1P 487C at 16X write speed with relatively good media. If jitter test results are given any weight in a Disc Quality assessment, it seems to me using Lite-On’s default 16X write strategy with good MCC 004 media is perhaps the best practice. :bigsmile:

The following post may be more appropriate in the Lite-On forum, however since it refers to the previous posts, I am posting it here. :flower:
Moderator please move it if it should be in the other forum.

Another question which has occured to me in viewing this correlation of drive calibration and jitter levels is [B]“What exactly is the difference between HyperTuning and Online HyperTuning?”[/B]

Lite-On states,
“Online Hyper Tuning - To let drive check the write quality during recording and modify the writing strategy real-time in order to get better writing quality. It may take more time for the recording if you enable this feature.”

Quote chok0,

“Online Hyper Tuning (similar to WOPC) recalibrates the laser power during the burn to achieve higher quality.
Hyper Tuning (similar to Solidburn) just selects the best write strategy for a specific media type.”

Quote Wind,

“Not just laser power but also write strategy.”

I assume Wind’s answer only referred to chok0’s comment on OHT. It would have been most helpful if Wind had commented on Hyper Tuning as well.
chok0’s description of Hyper Tuning sounds more like SmartBurn Only to me, am I wrong? I base my thinking on the screenshot of the SmartBurn Description in post #104 of the DVDScan thread, which says,

“Once the Media Manufacturer is identified by the program, it means LITE-ON CD-RW drive will use dedicated writing strategy and running optimal power calibration to secure the burning quality.”

I thought if only Force HyperTuning is checked(not OHT) it meant,
[I]“the drive checks the write quality for all media during recording and saves that information for the following burns” [/I] to differentiate it from OHT.

In the above graphs, only one post using the LH-20A1P 487C has Online Hyper Tuning checked, post# 5.
It appears to me from the above graphs that [B]HyperTuning(not OHT) is modifying jitter levels real-time[/B] NOT simply saving the OPC information to EEPROM for use on future burns.
Could it possibly mean that both HyperTuning and OHT modify writing stategy real-time but OHT does not save the OPC information to EEPROM? [B] Or is Hyper Tuning’s effect on Jitter unintended?[/B] Or has my unit been “confused” by the SmartBurn utility?

Lite-On’s [B]“What is Hyper Tuning”[/B] window in the SmartBurn utility does little explain what Hyper Tuning and Online Hyper Tuning do differently(particularly when several times the double and triple calibrations have occured on good media with Force HT checked and OHT unchecked.)
If Hyper Tuning and Online Hyper Tuning are the same thing, then why create two different terms and confound some Lite-On owners? :confused: