Calibrating laptop harddisk temps

vbimport

Is there any easy way to calibrate those without opening your laptop?
For instance,if the temp showed in your bios is almost the same as reported by HDSentinel,does that mean that no offset correction is needed?
Or are both reporting the same value because they read the same sensors?
My laptop is still under guarantee,and this will be void by opening it,that’s why I hesitate to use the infrared themometer method.

The BIOS and any software in Windows is probably going to be using the S.M.A.R.T.-reported value provided by your hard drive, without any correction. How you’d best correct the reported value, I’m not sure; I would expect the hard drive’s sensor to already be at a decent spot (wherever the manufacturer decides the device is warmest).

As far as I know, most people simply use the value provided by the HDD without worry. Only if they suspect the drive isn’t reporting properly, or people want to see how the temperature measures at specific spots, do people do anything differently.

THX for the reply Albert.
HDSentinel offers the option to set an offset for the temps reported by the system,and measured by ,for example,an infrared thermometer.
Sometimes,the values reported by your system may differ from reality by a margin of 5-7 degrees celcius.
By using calibration,you can set the HDSentinel reports more accurate…:smiley:

You can always go for it, but you’ll have to go with the infrared thermometer idea. No easier way that I know of. :disagree:

[QUOTE=Albert;2692483]but you’ll have to go with the infrared thermometer idea.[/QUOTE]

So,you want me to void my laptop guarantee???:bigsmile:

J/K …;):wink:

How would you void the warranty by accessing the hdd bay to use your infrared scanner? What is the make and model of your laptop?

You may not need to open the laptop: there is an easier and safer method, by comparing the very first reported temperature value (in Hard Disk Sentinel or your BIOS) with the temperature of the environment (room or office), after a longer power off period (8 hours or so).
Then the sensor in the hard disk should provide almost same value as the temperature of the room. Some Celsius difference (1-2 Celsius) is acceptable - but if the difference is higher (5-8 Celsius or even more, for example on Samsung models and some WD models), setting the Offset in Hard Disk Sentinel may be a good idea to have the real, accurate temperature readings.

For this method (and generally how to set this offset to correct the displayed temperature), please check Help -> Appendix -> Temperature Calibration in Hard Disk Sentinel.
(look for the “Note: if the calibration is not possible (the computer chassis cannot be opened) …” section at the bottom).

The Help is available on-line also at: http://www.hdsentinel.com/help/en/

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2692490]How would you void the warranty by accessing the hdd bay to use your infrared scanner? What is the make and model of your laptop?[/QUOTE]

The laptop is an Asus NV76VJ,and in my country,you can void the warranty of a laptop by accessing the inner parts of it.If anything inside gets broken during the warranty period,and the support staff notices that the laptop is opened before they did,there’s a possablity that they withdraw the warranty…

@Janos,I gonna try the room temp method then,THX…:wink:

That’s crazy, Hard drives and memory are user accessible from the manufacturer.

Personally I also feel it would be better if laptop manufacturers can allow users to replace / upgrade hard disk drives and memory modules, but as I know this voids warranty for almost all manufacturers.