Calibrate print position on Canon for disks, how?

vbimport

I just set up my MP610 to do disk printing. Nothing to it, lol. What I’ve been trying to find and failing at is… Is there a way to calibrate the printer for the tray? I printed one disk just to try it out and it’s way off, a good 1/8 of an inch. It left a large white section on part of the disk and ink on part of the tray. I have a factory F tray and it has this other piece of plastic with it that seems like it would be some sort of an automatic calibration piece. Is there a way to do this or do you just have to print several and guess until you get it right?:bow:

Aargh! I missed the edit window again… I used Sure Thing Labeler Deluxe 5 for the print and I’m not finding anything in that program to adjust the offset.:frowning: What am I doing wrong? :o

Download and use the canon software. Before printing goto file select paper and use edit to specify the inner and outer dimensions of the printable area of the disc you want to print. Save it possibly with the name of the disc’s you are using.
I cannot say what is the problem with the other software as I use the canon’s which is very good.
Find out first if it is the software that is at fault or the positioning of the tray.

The “extra piece” may be the adapter for business card discs.

In Canon CDLabelPrint, the alignment adjustment is in the print dialog. (“print position”) There are horizontal and vertical adjustments in 1/10 mm steps. Once set, this is remembered and usually does not need adjustment. I can’t speak to SureThing.

The Canon software prints in the same location as Sure Thing so it’s the printer and not the software.

I was hoping there was a way to calibrate the tray position within the printer but I guess 'ya just have to blow a few bucks worth of disks guessing to get it right.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=SLM crew chief;2202003]The Canon software prints in the same location as Sure Thing so it’s the printer and not the software.

I was hoping there was a way to calibrate the tray position within the printer but I guess 'ya just have to blow a few bucks worth of disks guessing to get it right.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

That’s the reason that the print position adjustment is there. None of them print centered out of the box. The only thing the tray does is pull the disc in and out. The adjustment tells the printer where the disc is relative to the print head. You can measure the apparent off-set on a printed disc and guess pretty close which direction it needs to go. Just remember that the top of the label exits the printer first so it’s upside down. The adjustments assume you are looking at it as it appears on screen.

[QUOTE=CDan;2202022]That’s the reason that the print position adjustment is there. None of them print centered out of the box. The only thing the tray does is pull the disc in and out. The adjustment tells the printer where the disc is relative to the print head. You can measure the apparent off-set on a printed disc and guess pretty close which direction it needs to go. Just remember that the top of the label exits the printer first so it’s upside down. The adjustments assume you are looking at it as it appears on screen.[/QUOTE]

OK… So when I take the tray out the picture is too far down (toward the arrow end of the tray which is the top of the picture). The software says “positive adjusts print down”. But because it’s upside down in actuality I need it to go down, so I should use a positive adjustment correct?:confused::confused:

Looking at the label on the screen, adding positive top adjustment will lower the label on the disc. Adding positive on the left will move it to the right. Remove the printed disc/tray and rotate the tray 180’ to view the disc in the same orientation as on screen.

Thanks. I think I’ve got which way I have to adjust it now.

Did you ever get this problem solved? I have exactly the same issue and Canon have absolutely no idea why
The software only lets you adjust the print position by about 5mm whereas i’m out by around 50mm

50mm… That’s almost 2"! Mine was no where near that bad. I did get it adjusted in the software but mine was much closer. I have no idess on how to fix yours.

And both my Canon printers have died. My MP610 just decided to not turn on one day. :frowning:

it’s so weird, every other aspect of the printer works perfectly just not disc printing, i’ve absolutely no idea what could be wrong, even Canon don’t get it :frowning: guess i’m out of luck

Thanks for the quick response anyway at least my last hope has been extinguished lol

Just curious, have you tried different software to see if the problem persists?

yeah, and i tried using the printers built in memory card to disc print, still no joy :frowning:
do you remember if yours pulled the tray all the way in before printing? mine pulls it in a bit, then adjusts it a few times wriggling it about and then pulls it again before printing but on that last pull in it doesn’t seem to go all the way in, a significant portion of the tray never goes into the printer if that makes sense

It’s been a while but I think it pulled it in all the way once or twice. I know there’s a mark on the tray you’re supposed to line up when you put it in but maybe try pushing it in farther when you start? And maybe wipe the little silver spots with something to clean them?

looking at other models of canon printer they all seem to draw the tray all the way in at least once to the point where only the very edge is visible, mine doesn’t do this, so for some reason it isn’t going all the way and that must be the issue but god only knows how to fix it :frowning:
thanks for all your help though

[QUOTE=Kid_Creation;2771999]Did you ever get this problem solved? I have exactly the same issue and Canon have absolutely no idea why
The software only lets you adjust the print position by about 5mm whereas i’m out by around 50mm[/QUOTE]

Adjustment should be getting done in the software, not the driver. At least that’s the way it always used to be using CD-LabelPrint. In the driver while printing you can adjust a few mm, but in the software you create a template for each type media where there’s lots of adjustment. Just click on the “select paper” button in CD-LabelPrint and make your template.

[QUOTE=CDan;2772028]Adjustment should be getting done in the software, not the driver. At least that’s the way it always used to be using CD-LabelPrint. In the driver while printing you can adjust a few mm, but in the software you create a template for each type media where there’s lots of adjustment. Just click on the “select paper” button in CD-LabelPrint and make your template.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that when printing direct to disc the plastic disc tray IS the paper type and also the template, if the plastic tray ran through the same part of the printer as paper does then i agree you could create a template and get the printer to print in the right place, but this is not the case with direct to disc printing.
The tray goes into a separate area where the printer then detects the position of the tray and uses the foil targets to align it for printing, however in my case its aligning it wrong
i now suspect that the tray is not being pulled into the printer enough as other models on youtube seem to draw it all the way in, this link to my google drive shows a video showing the printer trying to make a disc

This is going to sound dumb because I can’t remember but is there a place to select what printer tray you’re using? Maybe that’s set wrong somewhere? Just guessing because I can’t remember if you can change it or not.

There is, but only on certain software, and i’ve got it set right, tried it in a few just to see if it changed anything but nope