Cactus - how to?

vbimport

Hi all,
I have audio CD with Cactus Data Shield. Shows as

CDS200.5.1.91

Any idea how to make working backup?

I’ve tried EAC and Alcohol 120% - nothing so far. I have no experience with such CD’s maybe I’m missing somthing.

Thanks for help,

Chris

Originally posted by Krzyhoo

I have audio CD with Cactus Data Shield. Shows as

CDS200.5.1.91

Any idea how to make working backup?

Try the method described in ‘Defeating Cactus w Feurio!’ ( in my sig )

It’s all about having the right hardware (reader), and match it with the right software. If you don’t have the right hardware you cant rip it.

Originally posted by BeeR_DoG

If you don’t have the right hardware you cant rip it.
Right. But sometimes even the SW can make difference.

Krzyhoo, try Easy CD-DA Extractor or still better dBpower AMP Music Converter, which is free.

Originally posted by BoSkin
Right. But sometimes even the SW can make difference.

I know that software is of great importance and it can make a difference, but with a real bad reader there’s no chance to rip that cd. Perhaps Krzyhoo could tell us what drive he’s got.

He´s got a 708-a (Nicely corrected at first by BoSkin) , 708b (since I´m a PlexToolian I´d say [in a very humble way, so I don´t get backstabbered]:Krzyhoo try PlexTools) /gs.:bigsmile:

Perhaps Krzyhoo could tell us what drive he’s got.

A piece of cake to find out [ for some smart ppl, I mean. LOL ] > Anyone tried fw 1.6 for PX-708a

Meanwhile, check this out > Cactus & dBpowerAMP MC

Originally posted by gene_simmons
He´s got a 708. (since I´m a PlexToolian I´d say [in a very humble way, so I don´t get backstabbered]:Krzyhoo try PlexTools) /gs.:bigsmile:

You’re right gene, to keep things simple (well that of cause depends of which software one is used to) I would start with plextools too.

Gene you’re not a plextoolian you are: THE PlexToolian. I’m of cause not referring to your skills with this SW, only the fact that you invented the expression: PlexToolian :cool:

A piece of cake to find out [ for some smart ppl, I mean. LOL ] > Anyone tried fw 1.6 for PX-708a

Well, I’m not operating in the future and since there is no fw 1.6 for the PX708A yet, I didn’t read that thread. :bigsmile:

Meanwhile, check this out > Cactus & dBpowerAMP MC

That looks very interesting; unfortunately I don’t have access to a newer CDS 200 protected cd. I might buy that Nora Jones thing, just to keep up to date.

@Krzyhoo:

If you don’t got Plextools (freeware) installed you should try it out. Perhaps it didn’t come with your drive. There’s a workaround for how to install the downloaded version here. I’m almost certain of, that your drive can deal with that protection. One way or another.

Gene you’re not a plextoolian you are: THE PlexToolian. I’m of cause not referring to your skills with this SW, only the fact that you invented the expression: PlexToolian :cool

PlexToolian©/gs. :bigsmile: :iagree:

Well, I’m not operating in the future and since there is no fw 1.6 for the PX708A yet, I didn’t read that thread. :bigsmile:

I didn’t mind getting into the thread for another, obvious to me reason.
I don’t know why some ppl still keep calling this FW 1.6, if it’s 1.06. But that’s another story.

Well, I’ve been ripping with my PX-708A today. I bought Nora Jones (come away with me), I ripped it with plextools and alcohol 120%. No problems at all. Well, there’s a minor problem! I’ts CDS200.0.4
4.0 build 10b. Damn, I’m sure that I have read this cd was CDS200 0.5xxxx protected. What a bummer :o .

[Edit]
I did also succed with dbPower AMP.

Could be different versions in different countries?/gs.

I did also succeed with dbPower AMP.

dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) often called a Swiss army knife of Audio.

First I’ll have to say that I like alternatives to what I’m doing. Thanks for providing some of them boskin. Second I’d like to say that I’d stick to my old tools if the alternative doesn’t do the job in a better way. This rip should be an easy task for any plex with almost any decent software.

Hey guys. . .

Just to let you know, I’m very new to this copy protection stuff, but I’ll tell you plain and simple what worked for me. I just bought a new car and wanted to copy some CD’s so I could have them while I drive. One of those CD’s is Thirteenth Step by A Perfect Circle. Because I knew this CD was copy-protected, I just tried ripping them as per usual with CD ‘n’ Go Suite, which normally works fine. . .it ripped all the songs fine, played them off my HD ok, with no artifacting or skipping etc. … but when I burned them onto a CD, nothing would read the disc. . .just kept spinning it up or saying there was no disc in the drive etc.

Anyway, after a little research, I used Clonyxxl to discover that it was the Cactus copy protection, and then used a program called ISObuster to rip the songs to .wav format, dragged them into Easy CD Creator 5, burned it as per usual, and it works fine on all the different CD players I tried. I guess ISObuster has scalpel-like accuracy because it’s a data recovery tool. Just to let you know, my CD drive is an LG CED-8083B. Like I said, I’m new to this forum, so if you guys know all this already, I apologise :stuck_out_tongue: Just wanted to say it wasn’t that hard for me!!

Cheers!!!

Try ITunes. This is no joke!

ITunes ripped everything till now. I ripped the new Chemical Brothers- Push the Button CD 30 minutes ago.

It has the : CDS200.5.1.91 5.10.090 protection. No probs at all, just one click.

If u dont want to rip the cd, u could ripp it in the apple lossless format, and then burn it. :slight_smile:

Is isn’t the software, CDS is hardware dependant NOT all drives have good C2 error correction. If your drive supports it (i.e. Plextor) you can use just about any, if your drive doesn’t (I.e. NEC) then you’re out of luck.

With my BenQ DW1620 drive I was able to extract the 13th Step image without a hiccup using the default audio CD settings in Alchohol 120. Appears that you indeed have C2 issues. :wink:

In EAC, try going into the Drive options and setting the DAE speed to the slowest setting possible.

On my drive (4012A) this means the difference between a near-perfect rip (but a tiny gap at the 0:30 mark of every track) and a “perfect” rip.

Hi,

As my standalone DVD player doesn’t want to play this protected disc, I want to make a working copy. According to the files on the CD, it is protected with CDS200.5.1.91 - 5.10.090.
What I have done so far:

EAC: Plextor40TS, Plextor32TS and NEC3520 ripping to .wav: the TOC is displayed correctly, ripping goes well, but the first track has noticable ‘cracks’ that are not on the original cd.
Even with my Plex40TS on the most “correcting” settings, the result is more or less the same. It took 1 hour (!) to rip the first track with these settings and it didn’t bring much joy as already mentioned.

CDEX: fast ripping, with cracks…

Feurio: NEC3520 displays the correct TOC, ripping without problems, but also cracks…
Plex40TS, 32TS: TOC has some errors (track 9 ‘data’), but track 1 can be ripped, with cracks…

CDRWIN4.0: NEC3520, 32TS, 40TS: manually selecting the sectors to extract track1 to .wav, 2352 works, but with cracks… Read speed set to 1, Read retry set to 10, nothing helps.

CloneCD: Plex40TS, load image in Daemon tools and extract tracks with EAC, CDRWIN makes no difference; still cracks…

So in short, probably every ripping tool seems to be able to rip the tracks, but they can’t get passed the cracks.

Any ideas? :slight_smile: