Cache 8MB vs. 2MB

vbimport

Most newer drives all have 2MB cache now, which is a decrease from the older drives that had 8MB of cache like my old 716A.

What is up with that? One would think that as RAM gets cheaper and drives get faster the amount of cache should increase.

Have anyone noticed an increase in burn proof errors due to the lower amount of cache with the 760A (2MB) over the 716A (8MB).

No matter how cheap memory gets, 8MB will always cost more than 2MB. Plextor was always on the expensive side and needed to cut cost badly. As recent developments show this has been unsucessful, to few people are nowadays ready to pay even a little more for a device that can be had for a few dollars/euros/whatever.

The idea behind the 8MB buffer is mainly that some of the special functions that Plextor drives offer are excluding the use of the Burn Proof function. When using these functions 8MB buffer helps avoiding fatal buffer underruns. GigaRec is one example for such a function.

While i regret the reduction of the buffer size (subjectively 8MB drives give me a feeling of ‘smoother’ operation, but i can’t produce hard numbers to show it in reality) i’ve not seen more BP activity due to 2MB buffer when doing regular burns.

If I only knew, I would tell you. I always have BP errors after burns which show up as great results after quality scan. I can imagine that with 8MB those erros (or false errors maybe) wouldn’t show up, but I don’t think that the results would be better with 8MB.

I liked 8MB buffers because they allow you more leeway to burn without BURNproof on (Less so now, but in the early days, BURNproof did affect the quality of the burn)

These days, the difference between 8MB and 2MB is practically nothing at the high speeds people burn at, so it’s not that big a loss as you might think.

The reduction is a decent cost saver, esp. if Plextor were still using the dual-port RAM chips they used to (Allow reading and writing at the same time)

More important is the BURNproof algorithms - These days they are very good so you can rely on them (In fact, at high-speeds you HAVE to rely on them)

I haven’t come to any disadvantage of the newer drives compared to the old ones regarding buffer size. Large buffers are usefull when burning GigaRec and having loading on the disc where the files are taken from. But this advantage is so small that the cost saving weighs much heavier. So I like the 2MB buffer, nothing to complain about.