Cable's killing us, TiVo says

vbimport

Cable’s killing us, TiVo says.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/02/vjymRM.jpg[/newsimage]TiVo claims that changes to cable television are crippling its DVR service, and wants the U.S. government to do something about it.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/cables-killing-us-tivo-says-26318/](http://www.myce.com/news/cables-killing-us-tivo-says-26318/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

cable as a monopoly cable is able to do as it pleases I don’t see this changing I personally hate cable but am stuck. un less people react nothing will change i don’t see this happening

cable is lame, but its still better than sat.
I’ve been seriously considering dumping cable tv and just using hulu and the like, you can find nearly every show streaming somewhere on the web with less commercials to boot, the only downside is you usually have to wait anywhere from a day to a week for the newest episodes to become available.

And with the money saved from the cable bill I could build a killer htpc :cool:

SAT is far better than cable. I switched from Cable to SAT and would never go back.

Everyone should have equal rights to do business (anti-monopoly). TiVo revolutionized TV viewing, and cable as well as satellite companies who earn large incomes from advertising have ever since been scheming to regain control of the “one-eyed-brain-sucker.” So first satellite co’s made it necessary to buy, and later to upgrade their own DVR’s (making millions in the process), and now cable has followed suit. It really is unfair, like making your car run only on fuel or oil sold by the manufacturer of the car, etc. I say, “Let business thrive, but not by tactics that disable and debilitate other businesses.” That’s just cr@p, and we all end up paying for it, one way or another!

comcast now charges $7.45 to hook tivo into it’s service I asked tivo if they knew and they changed subject, refused to discuss it

so when they say no cost after 5yrs not true

They charge about 6 bucks a month extra or something like that to give you a cable card so there’s always some extra cost to masking anything that uses the card work, even if you do a lifetime sub with Tivo I think.
Comcast just wants total control of the content and wants you to pay extra for everything. Why do you think they really did the digital upgrade, then started encrypting channels that anyone could watch with a clear QAM tuner before. I’m stuck with their crap 7000 box that can’t do any HD and only outputs it’s signal through one analog RCA video/audio output or RF channel 3, or the even worse DTA boxes.
IF I want all my old channels in HD I need to pay them extra to get a better box, if I want to record any of the channels I get now I have to set the crappy box to record then it puts up a HUGE blue box telling me it’s about to change channels and record, which my recorder see’s and also records unless I have it start early, which would be fine except some shows I want to record back to back and the stupid message shows up on the next one on the same channel inline and I can’t disable it.
The local HD channels they are required to carry unencrypted, almost all the other ones I like can only be tuned by their boxes for now.
Then they add SDV to make it hard or impossible for a Tivo to work with their system, when for many it’s about the only alternative to using Comcast gear and paying even more a month for limited ability to do anything extra but watch TV with it.
I can hardly wait for the coming cable card equipped PC QAM tuner cards about to hit the market, pluus some other standalone options similar to the media player many of us use now. It should put me back to where I was before their “upgrades”

charging 1.50 for card wasn’t enough they want 7.50 more I really don’t understand why tivo only mentions the card

I’m interested in this qam will investigate

QAM is the modulation standard Cable here in the US uses, I believe Verizon FIOS uses it as well. They can encrypt any channels they want but for years they left many of the digital QAM channels in the basic and extended basic tiers unencrypted or "clear"so anyone with a Clear QAM capable tuner that was paying for cable could receive them. Most newer TV’s and cable PC tuner cards support it so many of us users not wanting to rent a cable box and watch Pay Per View or any of the movie channels just paid for basic or extended basic and used our own tuners to receive the channels.
They also were required to provide Cable cards so folks could use their own boxes and newer TV’s to receive even the encrypted movie channels and extra cost HD channels if they were paying for them and not have to rent a extra box. The cable cards still wont do PPV but they would do pretty much everything else.
So if your cable provider is not encrypting all the channels you can use a clear QAM tuner to watch them.
If they are you need a cable card equipped QAM tuner to watch them.
If they are also using the new SDV standard you’ll need a adapter box or a newer cable card equiped tuner or box to watch them as I believe the newest ones have the things needed to follow the SDV channels as they constantly move around.
So you need to make sure what your dealing with before you spend money on a tuner or box unless all you really want to watch for sure are your local channels in digital HD, as most other might be encrypted at this point.

thanks Dartman anything that hurts Comcast makes me happy I hate them

Your welcome. I have grown to despise them as they have pulled all this crap on users and convinced the FCC that as long as they provide some kind of “free” box they should be allowed to encrypt all channels except the locals.
I used to be willing to just pay my bill and do what I wanted because all my gear supports clear QAM so I could record my favorite shows easily, the locals even in HD, but now I can’t without paying them or somebody even more money to do what I used to do for no extra charges. I’ll probably stick it out though because all the new just allowed cable card pc tuners and set top boxes or media players are just around the corner in a few months, then I’ll see how that works out.

[QUOTE=jwill427;2496915]cable is lame, but its still better than sat.
I’ve been seriously considering dumping cable tv and just using hulu and the like, you can find nearly every show streaming somewhere on the web with less commercials to boot, the only downside is you usually have to wait anywhere from a day to a week for the newest episodes to become available.

And with the money saved from the cable bill I could build a killer htpc :cool:[/QUOTE]

Cable sucks, in Connecticut anyway. The service went out so much, I switched to The DIsh Network, got it bundled with my phone and I pay only $24.95 for 120 channels with a DVR for 2 TV’s. I would never go back to cable. Everyone around here is switching to Sat. Cable is going to die, in this town, inevitably.

maybe its related to location, or maybe user error, but I know a few people here that have sat, a couple with directTV and one with dish, and they all lose signal or have signal issues way too much IMO. My dad was the one with dish and he would lose signal on almost a daily basis, dish charged him to come out and check everything then told him there was nothing they could do about it.

last time I looked into sat a year or two ago it was more expensive for a similar channel package vs cox, not by a huge margin, but what really killed it for me was the internet package. the sat bundles come with dsl, and here the top tier for dsl is 6mbps which costs $60 a month, cox has 12mbps for $40 a month and 20mbps for $55 a month.

when you really get down to it they both suck, I wish that at&t uverse wasn’t so lame so it could give sat and cable some competition. once verizon fios gets here I’ll probably switch to that, or maybe I’ll just dump tv all together

I have never lost Sat in a snow storm, and I live in Connecticut. I have lost it in lightning and thunderstorms that are so bad you shouldn’t have anything electronic on. I have DSL which isn’t as fast a Cable, but I can pay my mortgage. The SAT dropping signals is propaganda put out by the Cable companies. it rarely happens, not as much as Cable, which drops out and takes 9 to 24 hours to fix because a tree branch or car hit a telephone pole.

I have fixed many TV’s that had burned out tuners when the poles were hit with lightning though not that would hit your cable box. I have in 6 years not had this problem with Satellite.

[QUOTE=jwill427;2496915]cable is lame, but its still better than sat.

And with the money saved from the cable bill I could build a killer htpc :cool:[/QUOTE]

Oh my god! Really? I think Sat is soo much better then cable. Ive had both services. Nevermind the choices of channels but the menu’s within the DVR service are prehistoric when it comes to cable. Not to get too detailed but when searching for titles in cable, you can only enter the first letter of the program your searching for. You then have to scroll through a list of 100s of titles that begin with that letter. And you have to tell the menu what day you want to search. SAT allows you to type an entire title and it will search through 10 days of viewing for you… Thats just one of the little yet major features cable does NOT have. Its a joke. I will never go back to cable. As far as the cost for sattelite, depending on your feature preferences, DTV usually has some sort of deal or package being offered to new users.
One other quick annoyance of cable. If you move into a house that already has active lines running within the house; you cannot get a receiver from the cable company without paying them close to $65 to come out and install it for you. Even if you tell them you can do it yourself. They wont allow you to do it on your own. Translation- Pay us a $65 startup fee or you cant have cable. No question SAT is 100 times better.

Sat is better than cable…
Cable is mainly depending on your location, sat is not that dependent.
With sat you can move (vacation etc), cable not.