Cable TV Question - Annoying Problem

vbimport

I have an annoyng problem I’m interested in either solving it or at least learning more about.

We have Charter TV service. Of our 3 TVs, only one has a cable box. The problem is happening with our Panasonic TC-L32U22 TV, which is one of the TVs that doesn’t have the HD cable box.

When I scan to add channels with the TC-L32U22, I will get about 40 digital channels, and about the same # of analog. I then go back in and manually remove a bunch of channels we aren’t interested in, plus duplicate stations. So far so good.

However, when I turn the TV back on throughout the week, I notice that there are blank channels which just appear. They appear in the 95.1 - 116.1 neighborhood. When flip onto one of them, on the black screen the words “scrambled program” appear, and nothing else.

I then write down the numbers, there are usually between 5 and 10 of them, I go to the menu, and manually remove them.

Before too long, more “scrambled programs” will return. Possibly the same numbers, or sometimes elsewhere: 98.1, 98.2, 98.3 etc. for example.

I have solved the issue somewhat by having my channel changer mode set to “Favorites.” However, the Favorites List only has space for 30 channels, so it is an imperfect fix. I can’t fit everything on the list I’d like to.

It’s not the end of the world, but it’s kind of a pain. Our old Samsung tx-62045 from 1997 does not create these annoying empty channels. If anyone else has this issue, or knowledge of it, I’d be curious to hear about this.

It sounds like it’s picking up additional subscription only channels during the week.

Are these the same channels you’ve already manually removed or different ones?

[B]Wombler[/B]

That’s a good thing to investigate. I did make a list of the channels I deleted.

Last night I noticed “scrambled programs” 89.1, 89.3, and 89.5. In addition, 89.4 was back - according to my notes I pared it off manually.

After reading your response, I decided to see if any other of the blank “scrambled programs” had populated. As expected, a few more had appeared. They are:

89.7, 89.9, 89.10, 89.11, 89.12

Of these, 89.7 is the only channel which, according to my notes, I manually removed. It may have been a shopping network, but whatever it was, I did not want it.

Now, I hope I’m not confusing you, but I’d like to point two channels within the sequence which DID NOT reappear as annoying “scrambled program” channels: according to my notes, 89.6 and 89.8 had programming on them when I scanned to tune, and then I manually removed them. They did NOT reappear as zombie “scrambled programming” channels, while others just around them did.

Since sitting down and flipping from channel to channel, I’ve come to understand my annoyance at these channels better. I’ve noticed that my TV takes an extra second or two to determine that the channel is in fact “scrambled programming.” When these null zombies re-appear it’s not the same as just flipping from channel to channel. Waiting longer to see nothing is not what I’m about when I set down to view the telly. Since these beasts appear in sets and streaks it really is the debbie downer.

As I remember, these zombie stations do not appear mixed in with the majority of the programming. They number in the 80’s and upwards from that.

I should probably start from scratch, re-scan, take extra careful notes on what I keep and what I remove, and see what I can notice. I’m also going to fish through the manual for the TV and see if there’s a setting relative to this issue.

I wonder if a software update for the TV itself might solve the problem by increasing the number of Favorites I can have on the Favorites list.

I have a tv that does this also I figure the TV software auto scans every so often and adds the channels but I do not see a way of stopping this. Read this post

http://www.satelliteguys.us/archive/index.php?t-105859.html

[QUOTE=LectricSketti;2670590]That’s a good thing to investigate. I did make a list of the channels I deleted.

Last night I noticed “scrambled programs” 89.1, 89.3, and 89.5. In addition, 89.4 was back - according to my notes I pared it off manually.

After reading your response, I decided to see if any other of the blank “scrambled programs” had populated. As expected, a few more had appeared. They are:

89.7, 89.9, 89.10, 89.11, 89.12

Of these, 89.7 is the only channel which, according to my notes, I manually removed. It may have been a shopping network, but whatever it was, I did not want it.

Now, I hope I’m not confusing you, but I’d like to point two channels within the sequence which DID NOT reappear as annoying “scrambled program” channels: according to my notes, 89.6 and 89.8 had programming on them when I scanned to tune, and then I manually removed them. They did NOT reappear as zombie “scrambled programming” channels, while others just around them did.

Since sitting down and flipping from channel to channel, I’ve come to understand my annoyance at these channels better. I’ve noticed that my TV takes an extra second or two to determine that the channel is in fact “scrambled programming.” When these null zombies re-appear it’s not the same as just flipping from channel to channel. Waiting longer to see nothing is not what I’m about when I set down to view the telly. Since these beasts appear in sets and streaks it really is the debbie downer.

As I remember, these zombie stations do not appear mixed in with the majority of the programming. They number in the 80’s and upwards from that.

I should probably start from scratch, re-scan, take extra careful notes on what I keep and what I remove, and see what I can notice. I’m also going to fish through the manual for the TV and see if there’s a setting relative to this issue.

I wonder if a software update for the TV itself might solve the problem by increasing the number of Favorites I can have on the Favorites list.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I had a read through the manual here for you a few days ago and couldn’t see anything obvious.

‘Channel surf mode’ will let you change to seeing only your favourite channels but that doesn’t really solve the problem if there aren’t enough slots for favourites.

It does sound like the sort of behaviour that they might choose to fix in a firmware update so if it’s easy enough to do you might want to upgrade and see what happens.

Other than that I’m not sure. :rolleyes:

[B]Wombler[/B]

thanks Wombler & Samlar I do appreciate the links -

I found something from the instructions on page 13, where it explains about Ant/Cable setup:

Select “Not used” when no wire is connected to the “Antenna/Cable” terminal.
Typical when a Cable/Satellite box is connected to a TV input.
Prevents accidental tuning to an unavailable signal.

I guess not much help for me? There’s no cable box connected to the TV where the problem is happening.

As I was making a list of channels I noticed that the clock near this TV had a second hand. I got the idea to time how long it takes to flip among these zombie channels. At a minimum it was 6 seconds for the “program scrambled” words to appear. Sometimes 9 seconds. Lo! An eternity this modern man.

Where does this TV get it’s signal from?

Is there an indirect feed through from the cable box?

Regardless though I’d turn off whatever of those options you’re not using on that particular TV as this could be the answer.

[B]Wombler[/B]