Cable subscriptions to drop

vbimport

I just posted the article Cable subscriptions to drop.

Demand for regular cable TV will drop over the next decade, analysts predict.

Read the full article here: [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/21023-cable-subscriptions-to-drop.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/21023-cable-subscriptions-to-drop.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

thats ok, they’ll just add more commercials to make up the lost revenue…

cause you know… that doesn’t make less people want to pay for cable or anything.

[QUOTE=Randomus;2450898]I just posted the article Cable subscriptions to drop.

Read the full article here: [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/21023-cable-subscriptions-to-drop.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/21023-cable-subscriptions-to-drop.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.[/QUOTE]

Well for all of you cable subscribers get ready for a service fee charge to make for the lost revenue!! That will become reality…!! You think they are going to drop it just cause of the down economy more like they will find more ways to increase your charges… so for anyone including analyist to say otherwise are still living in their own little bubbles…

Let’s see what happens. Hopefully, lowered cable prices will result in lowered telco prices which will result in…you get the idea.

I would like to see some of the misleading advertising stopped too. Cablevision in the NY area advertises that they, unlike FIOS, offer Hi-Def for all of the local sports teams. This is true, but what they fail to mention is that Cablevision owns two of these teams (Knicks and Rangers) and their cable channel (MSG), and it is they, not Verizon, who control that access to the HD versions. I am sure that FIOS would be more than happy to add these to their HD lineup if Cablevision would permit it.

Yeah funny they are for high prices but then they throttle and limit your bandwidth even though they claim broad band access. Ironic they want us to have Hi-Speed but then they go right around and throttle streaming videos. Go Figure???

The premise of this report is flawed. How are people supposed to get online video content into their homes if they don’t have a HSI connection? For many their only option is cable or teleco.

It doesn’t make sense that a cable subscriber would cancel their TV service but maintain their cable HSI service to stream online videos.

Churn is to be expected, there are folks who play that game to save money sure. Other’s realize it isn’t worth the hassle. Make no mistake, Verizon FIOS is the best product available, but it’s footprint is so limited it is no real threat to cable. AT&T has the territory footprint but it’s U-Verse service, in it’s current state, is no match to DOCSIS 3.

i knew this was goin to happen sooner or later i havent watched cable in over 3 years. ive turned to netflix and free shows online but companies such as verizon are still penny pinching customers ,and like previous comments, they are restricting broadband speeds. i have to test my lines every other month to make sure im getting the bandwidth im paying for. verizon better straighten up before they become part of this money loosing line up and see their revenue drop in the next few years. here in nyc, a year contract for fios, $80. they are still suspicious!

[QUOTE=pleasantcrew;2451264]i knew this was goin to happen sooner or later i havent watched cable in over 3 years. ive turned to netflix and free shows online but companies such as verizon are still penny pinching customers ,and like previous comments, they are restricting broadband speeds. i have to test my lines every other month to make sure im getting the bandwidth im paying for. verizon better straighten up before they become part of this money loosing line up and see their revenue drop in the next few years. here in nyc, a year contract for fios, $80. they are still suspicious![/QUOTE]

Restricting speeds has nothing to do with shady business practices and everything to do with shit copper. Verizon was wise and realized you can only push so much data through corroded poorly maintained twisted pair copper wire pairs, a lesson AT&T apparently has not learned.

I’m not suggesting Verizon isn’t shady, they are all shady in their own ways. Understand tho, they are doing the right thing with their fiber network. If you were wise, you would ditch your DSL broadband and move to FIOS, you will not regret it.

This is no surprise as cable becomes a more and more expensive proposition, opporiunities for “piracy” and other low cost alternatives gain market share increase. If the average person watches about 24 hours of video per week… in a average household that’s easily scheduled through internet streaming & p2p applications. Compared with multi-yearly price hiked cable-tv and higher set-top rentals, franchise fees, etc… Alternatives keep looking better and better and cable-tv looking more like the POTS phone line ball & chain Verizon dragged into it’s FIOS deployment. Since I don’t run the company, it’s my opinion that they should be transitioning to VOIP and exploiting their internet service the way Apple jammed itunes content distribution into the national psyche.